Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Jaytech10
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

THIS! 85% (resized).jpg
    #1 9 months ago

Is the concern about the quality of the Stern NIB Pins regarding their coil stops , pinballs and fan motors warranted ? If so for maybe $ 50.00 per game why wouldn’t they install the best and keep building their very good reputation …

#2 9 months ago

Because they would charge you $500 for those $50 bucks Simple business 101. You don't pass on exact cost of goods to the customer or you go under fast.

I wouldn't consider any of those issues when buying personally. They are such simple fixes if they do go bad. I"ve been using stock Stern coil stops on a lot of my games and rarely have any issues. I never use their pinballs though, always ball baron carbon for me.

#3 9 months ago

Wouldn't want to dip into those sweet profits.

#4 9 months ago
    Quoted from Boxedbeef:

Is the concern about the quality of the Stern NIB Pins regarding their coil stops , pinballs and fan motors warranted ? If so for maybe $ 50.00 per game why wouldn’t they install the best and keep building their very good reputation …

Because they hate you and resent all pinball buyers.

It's cool though...still the best deal going in NIB pinball games.

Really this is more like the toy poodle in the room, rather than an elephant. Most people don't care about this stuff because they are easy and incredibly cheap fixes. I also have no idea what you are talking about with the fans, never had an issue on mine nor have I heard about any.

GET A BIGGER ELEPHANT!

#5 9 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Really this is more like the toy poodle in the room, rather than an elephant.

Dammit. I was going to say mouse, but OK, poodle it is.
    I think he meant the loudness of the fans, which is a bit much, but hardly a big deal, especially anywhere on location where there is other noise. I finally did swap mine out for quieter ones, which was not expesive or difficult.

#6 9 months ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I think he meant the loudness of the fans, which is a bit much, but hardly a big deal, especially anywhere on location where there is other noise. I finally did swap mine out for quieter ones, which was not expesive or difficult.

Same here, I have picked up replacements for mine but haven’t gotten around to installing them. I can hear them, but it’s not so bad that it forces me to, say, turn offthe machine while I’m watching tv.

#7 9 months ago

They're in business to make money and each pin has an operating budget to build each machine. Concessions would need to be made for any of the items you want to address. Basically, they know what they need to spend to break even, then put their margin profile and operating expenses on top of that (payroll, marketing, disti).

Want to add something? Take something away.

#8 9 months ago

"Pinball fan is too loud" is definitely a new one for me. Louder than everything else going on during a game of pinball!?!

This is a shock, and probably violates local noise ordinances. This is indeed an elephant that we can longer hide under the rug!

#9 9 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Pinball fan is too loud" is definitely a new one for me.

You're lucky them becssue it's been going one a year or 4; seriously. You also have a sub market of the usual fan bros whom sell more quiet fans.
    This is a step up from the sub industry of "quieting the pop at game start up."

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Louder than everything else going on during a game of pinball!?!

I've never been able to get an answer out of them. I've heard a fan like 4 times in my life, and I play my games at 1am on volume 1

#10 9 months ago
    Quoted from Vitty:

Because they would charge you $500 for those $50 bucks Simple business 101. You don't pass on exact cost of goods to the customer or you go under fast.
    I wouldn't consider any of those issues when buying personally. They are such simple fixes if they do go bad. I"ve been using stock Stern coil stops on a lot of my games and rarely have any issues. I never use their pinballs though, always ball baron carbon for me.

THIS! 85% (resized).jpgTHIS! 85% (resized).jpg

#11 9 months ago

Coil stops are a mixed bag sometimes you get good ones some times they’re terrible.

Fans for the flippers from over heating? Nope not an issue stern games don’t have problems with weak flippers or hot coils. I route tons of stern pins hold a lot of tournaments the games get a lot of back to back use and never have an issue!

#12 9 months ago
    Quoted from V8haha:

... I route tons of stern pins hold a lot of tournaments the games get a lot of back to back use and never have an issue!

Shhhh keep it down dude. They have graphs with Temps & red lines on it and everything!

#13 9 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Pinball fan is too loud" is definitely a new one for me. Louder than everything else going on during a game of pinball!?!

This is a shock, and probably violates local noise ordinances. This is indeed an elephant that we can longer hide under the rug!

While playing, no. Not noticeable at all. Although if you are like me and like having the games on even when not playing, and they are close to where you are watching tv/movies, definitely too loud. Easy fix though.

#14 9 months ago

If they moved the off/on switch from where it's historically been on all games to save a few cents then that should give you the answer.

#15 9 months ago
    Quoted from V8haha:

Fans for the flippers from over heating? Nope not an issue stern games don’t have problems with weak flippers or hot coils.

Ive always wondered about these added on flipper fans because Ive never experienced overheating or flipper weakening during long games on any Stern machine. Ive had some long games on Godzilla….how long do you have to be playing before the flipper coils start overheating?

#16 9 months ago

Both of my new sterns I could hear the fans run across a 700sqft room, no problem. Different results for different people, environs I'm sure, but mine were LOUD. Swapped to Monk's, took about 10 total minutes each, I think they are like $15 or something and I was ordering from Pinball Life anyway, super happy with the result. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter, though.

Quoted from TheLaw:

You're lucky them becssue it's been going one a year or 4; seriously. You also have a sub market of the usual fan bros whom sell more quiet fans.
    This is a step up from the sub industry of "quieting the pop at game start up."

I've never been able to get an answer out of them. I've heard a fan like 4 times in my life, and I play my games at 1am on volume 1

#17 9 months ago

I also have never seen fade or weakness but I'm a shitty player and may not be going long enough. LOL

Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Ive always wondered about these added on flipper fans because Ive never experienced overheating or flipper weakening during long games on any Stern machine. Ive had some long games on Godzilla….how long do you have to be playing before the flipper coils start overheating?

#18 9 months ago

No, you'd never hear mine while playing, it was while the games were on and you were not playing them. We leave all 10 (now 11) games on every evening and most weekends and the room the sterns are in is fairly large, 700-750sqft, and you'd hear them on the opposite corner while talking, no question. I have attract noises turned off on all of them except bad cats, which probably should be off but it's nostalgia, and the fan noise was seriously loud. I'm glad yours don't do it.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

#19 9 months ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Depends on the game, but typically nonstop play around the 90 minute - 2 hour mark.

Some games get hotter than others and it’s not noticeable on a vast majority of Spike2s. The only problems I’ve noticed is that the right ramp on Stranger Things becomes impossible with a weakened flipper, as does the upside down ramp on AIQ premium.

#20 9 months ago

Flipper fade, hot coils are not a thing with stern spike 2 machines anymore. When they put out a update for all their machines over a year ago fixed that issue. It's one of the "bugs". I play in tournaments at my location and one other place. The TDs are using the amazing race format for finals. No problems

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-elephants-in-the-stern-living-room- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.