(Topic ID: 57766)

TECH: Why would U9 repeatedly fail? (WPC Sound PCB).

By pmWolf

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by xenon325i
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xenon325i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 years ago

Working from memory - U9 is the RAM chip (??). I think the only thing that could cause continual failure is excessive power to it so I'd check the 5v. It's CMOS though so fairly robust - are you sure that simply removing the board and replacing it doesn't also make it start working again, even if temporarily?

#6 10 years ago

If it fails when the game powers up I'd check the capacitors and measure the +5v ripple. Sounds like a power spike is taking out the RAM. On my FT I had +5v ripple at about 250mV until I replaced the capacitors.

#8 10 years ago

Pete - you can measure ripple by switching your meter to AC and measuring the 5v. I replaced C5 on the power-driver board (main 5v smoothing capacitor). The only capacitors on the sound board are in the amplifier section - the digital section only has decoupling capacitors.

It's a strange one.

#11 10 years ago

Sensitive to ESD most certainly, but tolerant of varying supply voltages. It's robust in-circuit is what I meant.

#14 10 years ago

I can vouch for the fact that the boards are almost impossible to find. It's odd because all that feeds the RAM chip is Vcc (power), the address bus, the data bus, Chip select and r/w enable lines. These themselves are all buffered. Unless the 5v is crazy I can't see how anything else could cause the RAM to fail unless it's being incorrectly identified as failed.

#19 10 years ago

Well have you measured the 5v ripple yet on the FT to see if it's excessive? I had very strage sound problems on my FT (playing the wrong sounds, sometimes no sound) which, at great length, I traced to the buffer on the Fliptronics board.

#21 10 years ago

If that's the case simply pressing the reset button behind the coin door with the game powered up would clear it. That causes the game CPU and the sound CPU to restart without any voltage spikes as it's already powered up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

12,500 (OBO)
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 169.00
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xenon325i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-why-would-u9-repeatedly-fail-wpc-sound-pcb?tu=xenon325i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.