fb8b6950d74df096a90208e74d607eae62afe050 (resized).jpg
01d24edea097e6b08a43a758bd12f1f2f58cadb4 (resized).png
1b0d6219df814343187afc4c2b3ec49e69048923 (resized).jpg
s11ssol1 (resized).png
20180422_144818 (resized).jpg
04312 (resized).png
sketch-1524406357161.png
#1 6 years ago

Not sure how to proceed on this one. I believe (assume?) I have two seperate issues here:

1. The coil for the lower/center pop bumper on my Taxi does not fire in the game or in test mode. If I ground Q77 the coil fires so I'm assuming the transistor and the coil/wiring are fine. Do I just need to work my way back further up the board?

2. The top switch in the stack (closest to the spoon) doesn't register in game or test, however the bottom one will register in test. I tested the switch with my meter and I have continuity when it's closed. I noticed that that switch doesn't seem to be wired into the switch matrix, it looks like the two wires run directly to J18 on the MPU. I have continuity from J18 to the tabs on the switch, so I should be good there. Not sure what I'm missing here. Maybe something shorted to it at some point and there's a problem further up the board?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

so I'm assuming the transistor and the coil/wiring are fine.

Transistor legs to and including coil are good. Doesn't mean transistor is good.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Transistor legs to and including coil are good. Doesn't mean transistor is good.
LTG : )

Good to know! I'll pull and test it.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Good to know! I'll pull and test it.

Test it in the machine.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I noticed that that switch doesn't seem to be wired into the switch matrix, it looks like the two wires run directly to J18 on the MPU.

Only one wire will go to 1J18 pin 8, the other should be a jumper from another switch.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Test it in the machine.

Sorry, do you mean test the transistor in circuit?

#7 6 years ago

You can test the pia, nor, predriver and driver in circuit under power and under load in the machine.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You can test the pia, nor, predriver and driver in circuit under power and under load in the machine.

Interesting I never have before. Just testing across the legs as normal? For your comment above, I should have not said they go directly to J18 but I think they both end up back there eventually and don't run through the matrix and interconect board, correct? Since I had continuity all the way I wasn't sure what to check next.

#9 6 years ago

Transistor testing in the System 11 tech pages, section 3b http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.html

#10 6 years ago

I would connect a logic probe and put the game in coil test and lock it on solenoid 21. I would then check the inputs of U-50 for this circuit. Pin 3 should be low in test. Pin 2 should be high with low pulses from the pia chip. Then check the output pin 1, it should be low with high pulses. Next check the base (middle leg) of Q-76, if U-50 output was good then there should be a low with high pulses on the base of the predriver. If all this is good then check the base (left leg) of the Driver Q-77. It should be low with high pulses if the predriver is working correctly. With a DMM set to DC volts one lead on ground and the other lead on the collector (middle leg) of Q-77 you should see coil voltage (34 volts) and then zero when its pulsed.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Transistor testing in the System 11 tech pages, section 3b http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.html

Thanks! I’ll run through these today.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

I would connect a logic probe and put the game in coil test and lock it on solenoid 21. I would then check the inputs of U-50 for this circuit. Pin 3 should be low in test. Pin 2 should be high with low pulses from the pia chip. Then check the output pin 1, it should be low with high pulses. Next check the base (middle leg) of Q-76, if U-50 output was good then there should be a low with high pulses on the base of the predriver. If all this is good then check the base (left leg) of the Driver Q-77. It should be low with high pulses if the predriver is working correctly. With a DMM set to DC volts one lead on ground and the other lead on the collector (middle leg) of Q-77 you should see coil voltage (34 volts) and then zero when its pulsed.

I don’t have a logic probe unfortunately (could get one of course). I’ll see how the tests above come back and if any of the transistors are the issue.

Any thoughts on the switch issue or if they could be related?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Thanks! I’ll run through these today.

I don’t have a logic probe unfortunately (could get one of course). I’ll see how the tests above come back and if any of the transistors are the issue.
Any thoughts on the switch issue or if they could be related?

A logic probe is not required. I do all these tests with digital multimeter. As far as the switches are concerned, the one that registers in test is a scoring switch only. The spoon switch that activates the coil is connected this way, diagram from the tech pages

sketch-1524406357161.pngsketch-1524406357161.png

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

A logic probe is not required. I do all these tests with digital multimeter. As far as the switches are concerned, the one that registers in test is a scoring switch only. The spoon switch that activates the coil is connected this way, diagram from the tech pages

Sorry, I was talking about the logic probe tests grumpy suggested. The ones in the wiki you linked I can do.

It looks like for that switch then there is a diode on the coil I can check along with a transistor on the MPU that controls the switch?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Sorry, I was talking about the logic probe tests grumpy suggested. The ones in the wiki you linked I can do.
It looks like for that switch then there is a diode on the coil I can check along with a transistor on the MPU that controls the switch?

You can check any of the logic with a DMM. I've never owned a logic probe and only bring out the oscilloscope for audio and timing troubleshooting. I've been in electronics for over 30 years. Use the TTL voltage equivalents below.

Read the tech docs at the link to learn how the special,solenoid circuits function. The diode on the coil is a flyback diode to protect upstream circuitry. If it is bad, it could have taken out the driver transistor and more. The transistor on the MPU? Which do you speak of? There's a transistor for your switch matrix, but if that was out more switches would not work. There's a predriver along with the driver, both of those need to work to drive the coil.
What you need to diagnose is to follow the pulse train through the special solenoid circuit to see where that is getting lost at.

04312 (resized).png04312 (resized).png

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You can check any of the logic with a DMM. I've never owned a logic probe and only bring out the oscilloscope for audio and timing troubleshooting. I've been in electronics for over 30 years. Use the TTL,voltage equivalents below.
Read the tech docs at the link to learn how the special,solenoid circuits function. The diode on,the coil is a flyback diode to protect upstream circuitry. If it is bad, it could have taken out the driver transistor and more. The transistor on the MPU? Which do you speak of? There's a transistor for your switch matrix, but if that was out more switches would not work. There's a predriver along with the driver, both of those need to work to drive the coil.
What you need to diagnose is to follow the pulse train through the special solenoid circuit to see where that is getting lost at. If the coil won't fire in test mode, its never going to fire with the pop spoon switch.

I tested Q77 and Q76. Q77 seems to test fine. Q76 the pre driver read about 300 on one of the legs, which was inconsistent from the about 600 on the other leg and neighboring transistors. I had a parts board so I pulled Q76 off that which was testing good, but when I put it in the mpu in the game I still got that low reading. It seems odd the same transistor would read different in different boards.

I can check the diode on the coil to see what that reads I haven't done that yet. The lower pop is the only one with a diode and the only one with one red/white wire where as the others have 2 wires and no diode. I assume thats correct but wanted to confirm.

Is there anything else in the circuit I'm missing besides just replacing the 7402 at U50?

20180422_144818 (resized).jpg20180422_144818 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

The diodes are mounted on the aux power driver, so there is no need for a diode on the coil (it won't hurt anything. Unless it shorts) The lower pop picks up flyback diode D20 at 5J3-2. Diodes were moved off the coils to reduce chance of breakage from coil vibration in later system 11 games.

How do you know what to replace, or are you just shotgun replacing randomly? If you look at the link to the tech docs, there is a diagram of where you should be seeing pulses in the special solenoid circuit. Once you have some idea of where the signal is lost, you'll have a better idea of what to troubleshoot.

s11ssol1 (resized).pngs11ssol1 (resized).png

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The diodes are mounted on the aux power driver, so there is no need for a diode on the coil (it won't hurt anything. Unless it shorts) The lower pop picks up flyback diode D20 at 5J3-2. Diodes were moved off the coils to reduce chance of breakage from coil vibration in later system 11 games.
How do you know what to replace, or are you just shotgun replacing randomly? If you look at the link to the tech docs, there is a diagram of where you should be seeing pulses in the special solenoid circuit. Once you have some idea of where the signal is lost, you'll have a better idea of what to troubleshoot.

I have just been asking other people and reading up/working through the schematic as best I can to see what is in the circuit. I don't know if I know enough to interpret the image you posted on my own and tie it back to what components I need to check . What do you mean by pluses and how/where would I check?

If I jumper the tabs on the switch, the switch registers in test and fires the coil if that helps at all.

#18 6 years ago

In your first post you said the switch closest to the spoon did not register in test or game mode...from what you just said now, shorting that switch fires the coil. Do I have that correct? ,If that is true, then the spoon switch is faulty.

If the game still does not fire the coil in test mode, but the spoon switch does, look at the diagram. SS input on the left is the switch. Everything downstream must therefore be good, your problem,goes back to the PIA.

To check pulses on the diagram, you need to look at the key in the document
SSe: U54 (pin 19) to U49 to U50 to Q76 to Q77 and match the devices to the diagram. If it shows a positive pulse out of Q76, you set your DMM to DC voltage and put the positive probe on that point in the circuit, negative on ground. It should read a logic level low voltage when idle. Put the game in solenoid test, watch the display as the test cycles through the coils. When it tries to fire the lower pop, you should see the meter jump rapidly to logic high, if it doesnt, move upstream to another test point. That's how you diagnose that circuit.

#19 6 years ago

I am also interested in the resolution of this issue. Keep it up!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

In your first post you said the switch closest to the spoon did not register in test or game mode...from what you just said now, shorting that switch fires the coil. Do I have that correct? ,If that is true, then the spoon switch is faulty.
If the game still does not fire the coil in test mode, but the spoon switch does, look at the diagram. SS input on the left is the switch. Everything downstream must therefore be good, your problem,goes back to the PIA.
To check pulses on the diagram, you need to look at the key in the document
SSe: U54 (pin 19) to U49 to U50 to Q76 to Q77 and match the devices to the diagram. If it shows a positive pulse out of Q76, you set your DMM to DC voltage and put the positive probe on that point in the circuit, negative on ground. It should read a logic level low voltage when idle. Put the game in solenoid test, watch the display as the test cycles through the coils. When it tries to fire the lower pop, you should see the meter jump rapidly to logic high, if it doesnt, move upstream to another test point. That's how you diagnose that circuit.

Thanks! That is correct. If I short the switch, it fires the coil and I can see it register in test. If I close the switch and have my meter on continuity, I have continuity throughthe switch, which is why I was thinking it was fine...would that matter? There is a cap and a resistor in the switch stack too...would those potentially be bad and have an impact here too? I can replace the switch easy enough but I'm thinking since the coil didn't fire in coil test there's a seperate issue related to that. I'll try to sort one at a time and get the switch registering and then go from there.

That circuit explanation makes sense and is super helpful! Ill probably need some further guidance on where the positive lead goes for testing (which pin/leg/tab/etc) but I'm able to connect the dots on how you got there. Really appreciate it!

Quoted from Rondogg:

I am also interested in the resolution of this issue. Keep it up!

Me too ha! I'll keep at it. The first of a few remaining roadblocks to work through on this project...

#22 6 years ago

Thanks. Sounds like they are helpful but wouldn't cause my issue (but worth replacing), is that a fair statement? I'll replace the switch and see what happens!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Thanks. Sounds like they are helpful but wouldn't cause my issue (but worth replacing), is that a fair statement? I'll replace the switch and see what happens!

Well, those components could play havoc with the response if they are wildly out of spec/shorted...if you can short the switch terminals and it works, it's only going to be those three to deal with: switch, cap and resistor.

#24 6 years ago

What capacitor is used on the switch?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

What capacitor is used on the switch?

100 ohm 1/2 watt resistor and a 22 mfd 100 volt electroylic capacitor (the positive lead connected to the resistor) in parallel to the switch (a non-polarized version of the cap can also be used)

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

100 ohm 1/2 watt resistor and a 22 mfd 100 volt electroylic capacitor (the positive lead connected to the resistor) in parallel to the switch (a non-polarized version of the cap can also be used)

I had a realization last night of something stupid I may have overlooked...if those "top" pop bumper switches are not wired in through the switch matrix, would they even register in the switch edges test mode? I think I may have been too deep inside my own head and not realized that. That said, I replaced the switch anyway just to be safe but am going to replace U50 as well. The old switch, cap, and resistor seemed to test fine, so I'm wondering if I invented part of a problem that didn't exist. Yeesh.

#27 6 years ago

Just so we keep things straight, because it can be confusing referring to the switches as "top" or "bottom", below is a diagram from Vid's guide to rebuilding pop bumpers. The scoring switch is only activated by motion from the mechanics of the coil. That's all that is reported in the test, because it is the switch that is attached to the switch matrix. The solenoid switch has to working to operate the solenoid. If the scoring switch is broken, or even absent, there is no test reporting and no scoring - but the solenoid still functions and the pop works.

1b0d6219df814343187afc4c2b3ec49e69048923 (resized).jpg1b0d6219df814343187afc4c2b3ec49e69048923 (resized).jpg

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Just so we keep things straight, because it can be confusing referring to the switches as "top" or "bottom", below is a diagram from Vid's guide to rebuilding pop bumpers. The scoring switch is only activated by motion from the mechanics of the coil. That's all that is reported in the test, because it is the switch that is attached to the switch matrix. The solenoid switch has to working to operate the solenoid. If the scoring switch is broken, or even absent, there is no test reporting and no scoring - but the solenoid still functions and the pop works.

Got it - the scoring switch DOES register in test. I wasn't seeing anything for the solenoid switch, which makes sense now, but at the time I was driving myself nuts wondering why I wasn't seeing it (duh/ugh). The solenoid switch doesn't cause the coil to fire, but if I short the transistor, it does. I changed both the drive and pre-drive transistors with no change, so I'm trying to move back up the board now. I had to order some stuff anyway so I ordered a new IC for U50 I'm going to try and swap and see if that takes care of it.

The odd thing to me is I tested Q77 and Q76. Q77 seems to test fine. Q76 the pre driver read about 300 on one of the legs, which was inconsistent from the about 600 on the other leg and neighboring transistors. I had a parts board so I pulled Q76 off that which was testing good, but when I put it in the mpu in the game I still got that low reading. More to come...

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

The solenoid switch doesn't cause the coil to fire, but if I short the transistor, it does. I changed both the drive and pre-drive transistors with no change, so I'm trying to move back up the board now. I had to order some stuff anyway so I ordered a new IC for U50 I'm going to try and swap and see if that takes care of it.

Quoted from grantopia:

If I jumper the tabs on the switch, the switch registers in test and fires the coil if that helps at all.

You already said you jumpered the tabs on the solenoid switch and it fires - that already rules out driver, pre-driver and U50, basically everything in the boxed in area below is working. That leaves the switch itself (and its local components) as to why it won't fire from the playfield during a game, and back toward the PIA for the other problem of why it won't fire during test.

01d24edea097e6b08a43a758bd12f1f2f58cadb4 (resized).png01d24edea097e6b08a43a758bd12f1f2f58cadb4 (resized).png

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You already said you jumpered the tabs on the solenoid switch and it fires - that already rules out driver, pre-driver and U50, basically everything in the boxed in area below is working. That leaves the switch itself (and its local components) as to why it won't fire from the playfield during a game, and back toward the PIA for the other problem of why it won't fire during test.

Interesting. I changed the switch with no result and the resistor and cap tested fine but still no action during the game.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Interesting. I changed the switch with no result and the resistor and cap tested fine but still no action during the game.

During a game you short the tabs here and does it work? and during test mode try the same test.

fb8b6950d74df096a90208e74d607eae62afe050 (resized).jpgfb8b6950d74df096a90208e74d607eae62afe050 (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

So when you put the leads on either half of the solenoid SWITCH, did it fire?

#33 6 years ago

It would seem that at some point it fired. Half of the input to the 7402 is flipper enable. That should be low during game mode. Trying to figure out what state the game was in and what was jumpered. Tab to tab on the switch? Tab to ground? ....just difficult by text online to determine these important details.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It would seem that at some point it fired. Half of the input to the 7402 is flipper enable. That should be low during game mode. Trying to figure out what state the game was in and what was jumpered. Tab to tab on the switch? Tab to ground? ....just difficult by text online to determine these important details.

No problem. I can recreate with pictures and run through it in attract, game and test to show clearly. Appreciate you guys hanging in there with me.

#35 5 years ago

Replaced the 7402 IC at U50 and we’re back in business! My guess is something shorted that switch at some point and it went all the way back to the IC it was testing bad and swapping cleared it up. Woooooooo!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-pop-bumper-coil-and-switch-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.