Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So, the 5 targets below my hunter ship do not register on the test switch matrix when operated by hand. I lifted the Playfield up,and tried to do a continuity test but could not get continuity. I tried on a different "known working" switch bank and could not get continuity either. The target appears to have a diode across two of the legs, does this screw up the test. Any thoughts?

FYI, I just installed a brand new rotten dog board.

I purchased the machine not-working and have repaired gi connectors as well.

Any tips on how,to solve this would be much appreciated!
Pat

Post edited by Pinball-Pat: Typo

#2 9 years ago

I suspect that the ball popper, drop target and shooter switches also don't work. Check that the green-violet wire is making a good connection at J207-7. If so, follow that wire back and make sure it isn't broken or shorted somewhere. If you have a manual, you can see that all of these switches are in the same column on the switch matrix and they are all grounded by that green-violet wire.

#3 9 years ago

+1 You most likely have a broken wire somewhere in the chain leading to those switches.

#4 9 years ago

Does my multimeter probe fit into these connectors, or is there another trick so test for continuity on this wire?

#5 9 years ago

You will have to look at the switch matrix diagram in the manual. If you check two ends of each wire (like on the non working target and another switch in the same row or column) that will work with continuity check. The diode will not effect that.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Does my multimeter probe fit into these connectors

Your probe will fit. Otherwise, you will see a bit of metal for each pin on the side of the connector that you can touch with your probe. If you stick your probe in to the connector, do it gently so that you don't bend the blades that are making contact with the wire.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

Your probe will fit. Otherwise, you will see a bit of metal for each pin on the side of the connector that you can touch with your probe. If you stick your probe in to the connector, do it gently so that you don't bend the blades that are making contact with the wire.

Thanks, I'll try the side of the connector first.

#8 9 years ago

In OP checking the continuity between switches, would the switches have to be closed to keep continuity?

#9 9 years ago

Yes, I was pressing them with one hand, while metering with the other.

#10 9 years ago

Got it, bad termination on pin 7. Pulled out wire and re terminated. All targets working. Vertical up kicker working! Thanks again everyone, pinside has made getting into this hobby a breeze!

#11 9 years ago

Congrats on finding and fixing the problem!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Phoenixville, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 21.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-how-to-troubleshoot-stand-up-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.