• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Biffbar
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170510_181023 (resized).jpg
MIOTAdapterKit for early gottlieb sound cards.pdf (PDF preview)
5c541ddcbf69ec0b0170215d5223fb8efc39b34d (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I've been asking most of the questions related to my project here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-james-bond-system-80-project

I thought this one might be interesting enough to others to warrant not being buried in my thread though.

After questioning why the sounds coming out of my James Bond machine sounded not very James Bond-y, I determined that it had the wrong sound PROM in it, and another member identified it as the PROM for System 1 game Roller Disco.

MarAlb was kind enough to program and ship me a new PROM, but when I tried it out yesterday it didn't work. Now it could very well be just a bad chip or failed programming, but MarAlb raised the question of if a System 1 PROM uses a different 6530 than a System 80 PROM:

"As there was a system 1 prom present before there is a chance the 6530 chip also came from a system 1 soundboard. This chip contains a rom section too and this might differ from a system 80 soundboard. It might be worth finding out if 6530 chips from system 1 and system 80 differ from each other."

Does anyone know if this is the case? Does the game PROM handle only the actual sounds, or also the behavior of the board? The James Bond manual says that the test button should only play sounds when the 2 dip switches are in opposite positions, but it plays them (differently) regardless of switch position. If the 6530 is responsible for controlling this behavior, that may answer the question.

Here's a photo of the board as I found it:

5c541ddcbf69ec0b0170215d5223fb8efc39b34d (resized).jpg5c541ddcbf69ec0b0170215d5223fb8efc39b34d (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

What are the markings on your chips? Hard to tell, but looks like you might have the System 1 6530 chip.

Check out: http://www.flipprojets.fr/AudioMA55_EN.php
"the R6530 being R3016-11 for the MA-55 (SYSTEM 80) and R3014-13 (or R3014-13) for the C-18389 (SYSTEM 1).".

Have four system 80 sound boards in front of me.
The System 80 chips are marked:

R6530P
R3016-11
8023 < this date will vary

and

R6503P
R6503-11
8027 < another date

#3 6 years ago

I can see a R3014-13 on the 6530 chip.

#4 6 years ago

Thinking about this some more, I think the use of the -13 6530 chip combined with the System 1 PROM was intentional in order to keep the game running.

A previous owner (or operator) probably had spare chips or boards for system 1 games, but not for system 80 games. So, they substituted the pair of system 1 chips, since the board probably wouldn't work when there was a code mismatch between the system 80 PROM and 6530 -13 system 1 chip.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thinking about this some more, I think the use of the -13 6530 chip combined with the System 1 PROM was intentional in order to keep the game running.
A previous owner (or operator) probably had spare chips or boards for system 1 games, but not for system 80 games. So, they substituted the pair of system 1 chips, since the board probably wouldn't work when there was a code mismatch between the system 80 PROM and 6530 -13 system 1 chip.

This machine appears to have had a bit of a rough life, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is the case. I think the board itself is original, and when I had it out to clean it up and replace the caps, there were a few signs of soldering on the back of it.

So my options now are to try and find the correct 6530 chip to use with the (most likely good) chip MarAlb sent me, or replace both with one of the newer daughter boards that plugs into the old location and allows you to select the sound from a variety of games?

#6 6 years ago

Trying to source a 6530 chip for the sound board is going to be very difficult. Unless someone has a secret stash of chips, these sound boards are not repairable once the 6530 chip dies.

So, an aftermarket board is probably your best option. I'm not aware of a daughter board that is currently available for sale. There were a few made or prototyped in the recent past, but I think this might be the only board available at the moment:

http://www.flippp.fr/pifx.php

(I could probably use that system 1 6530 chip, though. I just pulled a dead sound board from the hulk I just acquired this week)

#7 6 years ago

I've been reading that link you sent, and if I can find a bit more information I may be crazy enough to try and build my own. I design hardware and do embedded systems dev for work, so this may be a fun little side project. I'm also dumb enough to put 20 hours of work into something to avoid spending $90.

I'm restoring this for a friend, so I'll see if they want to part with the 6530 once I get a working replacement. You may be in luck!

#9 6 years ago

I just found the same thing - here's the link that gets you to it (MIOT replacement):
https://coinop.mally.eu/produkt.php?bestellnr=101647&details=1

Manual is in German:
https://coinop.mally.eu/flyer/GOTTLIEB_Miot-Adapter.pdf

#11 6 years ago

There's also a schematic of the MIOT adapter board here:

http://retro.hansotten.nl/6502-sbc/6530-6532/gottlieb-multimode-sound-board/

Only question is, where to get the 6530 ROM code...

#12 6 years ago

Thanks, if I get into a time crunch, buying a board is always an option, but this may be fun.
I'm looking at how pinmame emulates the 6530 now to see if that is of any help.

#13 6 years ago

I found a zip with the PROMs in it (including the sound one) and it looks like a system80 6530.bin is included. I can post it if that's ok, but I'm not sure about the rules regarding sharing 37 year old game ROMs.

#14 6 years ago

If building the MIOT adapter, the trick will be working out how it places the game sound PROM and 6530 ROM code into the 27256 EPROM used on the adapter - i.e. where and what order do they go into the 27256.

#15 6 years ago

I get how the MIOT works, which is a pretty good solution to the problem. It's definitely the next best option to original hardware. The main issue with it is that the 6532 is only slightly easier to get than a 6530. The harder, less true to the original way to go is emulate the 6532 in a modern CPLD or FPGA, which I think people have done as it's the same chip the Atari 2600 uses.

If I can find a 6530 for a system 80 board, I'll probably do that for expediency.
Otherwise I'll dig up a 6532 and build a simplified MIOT that works for just my game. I have piles of 27256 EPROMs on hand.

#16 6 years ago

If you don't mind waiting a month:
6532 chips from China:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&SearchText=UM6532

So long as you have schematics for the sound board, you should be able to work out where to put the sound PROM and 6530 code into the 27256 (remember the 27256 on the MIOT adapter board is pre-populated with sound/code data for a bunch of other games).

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If building the MIOT adapter, the trick will be working out how it places the game sound PROM and 6530 ROM code into the 27256 EPROM used on the adapter - i.e. where and what order do they go into the 27256.

The MIOT works for 16 different games, and uses dip switches connected to the 4 highest EPROM address pins to select which game you want.

On a normal board with a 6530 and a 1kx4 PROM, the PROM is mapped in at 0x400-0x7FF, so I assume that each 2k block of the 27256 contains first the 1k 6530 ROM (address 0x000-0x3FF) and then the sound data PROM (0x400-0x7FF). I haven't read the datasheet for a 6532 yet, so I may have it backwards depending on the logic used to select the external 1kx4 PROM, but there's only two options to try.

For a single game, any EPROM 2kx8 or larger would work.

#18 6 years ago

A more comprehensive pdf on the daughter board, including a schematic and PCB layout.

MIOTAdapterKit for early gottlieb sound cards.pdfMIOTAdapterKit for early gottlieb sound cards.pdf

#19 6 years ago

I think I may have come up with a way to make this stupid thing work with parts that I have on hand. I'll report back if I'm successful. Don't hold your breath though, because if I don't get it done tomorrow, I'm not going to be able to do anything on it again for a week.

#20 6 years ago

Success!
20170510_181023 (resized).jpg20170510_181023 (resized).jpg

Obviously this isn't anything I can leave in place, but I'm finally getting the correct sounds out of the game!

One question though - I have it in "continuous" sound mode, and it plays a melody on loop until you hit one of the targets, but then it only plays scoring sounds after that. Is this normal? Will the "continuous" sounds eventually start playing again, or only at the start of each ball?

#21 6 years ago

Wow, nice work.

Hoping a small 6530 replacement daughter board kit comes back on the market again someday, although I do have a breadboard. . .

#22 6 years ago

Nice!

What did you end up putting on the EPROM? The 6530 bin file and sound ROM file?

Quoted from Hillridge:

One question though - I have it in "continuous" sound mode, and it plays a melody on loop until you hit one of the targets, but then it only plays scoring sounds after that. Is this normal? Will the "continuous" sounds eventually start playing again, or only at the start of each ball?

I had a Touchdown with a continuous sound option, and it would play a start tune, then had continuous sounds for the stadium crowd, which would be interrupted by other sounds triggered by switches. The continuous sound option is enabled in the test video here:

I'm not sure how exactly the sounds on JB are supposed to operate since I haven't had one, but since the sound board in Touchdown is still basically a sounds-only board (but with the piggy back board for a larger EPROM), I'd guess they operate in pretty much the same way.

#23 6 years ago

Found a JB gameplay video:

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Nice!
What did you end up putting on the EPROM? The 6530 bin file and sound ROM file?

I had a Touchdown with a continuous sound option, and it would play a start tune, then had continuous sounds for the stadium crowd, which would be interrupted by other sounds triggered by switches. The continuous sound option is enabled in the test video here:
» YouTube video
I'm not sure how exactly the sounds on JB are supposed to operate since I haven't had one, but since the sound board in Touchdown is still basically a sounds-only board (but with the piggy back board for a larger EPROM), I'd guess they operate in pretty much the same way.

Ok, mine sounds like the video, so I think I'm set.

I ended up just putting the 6530 ROM image on the new EPROM and using the sound PROM that MarAlb sent me. I wired the breadboard to move the new EPROM into the address space the 6530 ROM normally uses. So it would work for any flavor of 6530 or 6532 so long as you have the sound PROM. It wouldn't be hard to move the sound PROM to the new EPROM as well though, I just didn't need to in order to test.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Hillridge:

Ok, mine sounds like the video, so I think I'm set.
I ended up just putting the 6530 ROM image on the new EPROM and using the sound PROM that MarAlb sent me. I wired the breadboard to move the new EPROM into the address space the 6530 ROM normally uses. So it would work for any flavor of 6530 or 6532 so long as you have the sound PROM. It wouldn't be hard to move the sound PROM to the new EPROM as well though, I just didn't need to in order to test.

Ok, makes sense

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If you don't mind waiting a month:
6532 chips from China:
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&SearchText=UM6532

Not really recommended... one of my customers was bragging about buying a bunch of these cheap 6532s. Ended up having a 100% dead rate.

The 6530 and 6532 have slight differences in the internal timers but not sure Gottlieb ever took advantage of the 6530's differences. If a 6532 and external EPROM work - then the answer is "no, they didn't".

#27 6 years ago

An electronics guy was telling me about buying some OP-AMP chips, which turned out to be China-sourced fakes. The tops were re-marked.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80-system-1-sound-proms?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.