You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hello all! My STTNG's right lower flipper all of a sudden seems to have lost high power. It still has full range of motion but when held in the up position it vibrates. It does not have enough "emuph" to even get the ball to the high end of the playfield.

I rebuilt the flippers last month. So it isn't a matter of having a dirty coil or plunger (I don't think).

Do you think I broke my coil somehow?

If you remember, I had a slew of problems with the left flipper when I got the game. That one works great now.

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Since your soldering skills improved - I'd reflow the solder on the coil lugs first.

And be sure you still have a tiny bit of up and down play on the flipper so the pawl isn't binding under the playfield.

Long shot after that pull the plunger assembly out and be sure it still swivels freely where the pawl hooks to the plunger.

If this is one of the crappy old coils like in your last pictures - I'd replace it on general principle alone.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Do you have old fliptronics boards on it? When you go into test menu and press flipper do you get both active switches hit? Go through LTGs list first but maybe another thought the boards are not too expensive. With the chatter described it is more likely one of his suggestion IMO.

Best of luck getting it all running right.

#4 11 years ago

It just occured to me that I did put the color dmd in since the last time I played it. I had to replug something from J116. I wonder if that was flipper related.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

It just occured to me that I did put the color dmd in since the last time I played it. I had to replug something from J116. I wonder if that was flipper related.

Unplug it and see. ( the big connector not the ribbon cable )

You can play a game without the DMD plugged in.

Others are having power issues with that and STNG.

#6 11 years ago

I busted the tools back out!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#7 11 years ago

Reflowing the connections didn't help. So sad.

#8 11 years ago

Unplugged the color DMD and the flipper works great. What gives???

image.jpgimage.jpg

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Unplugged the color DMD and the flipper works great. What gives???

Need a separate power source for the LCD.

#10 11 years ago

Yeah. I just read where people are doing that. I am going to have to put the old display back in and wait for a how to article. Or maybe the color DMD people will take care of it.

#11 11 years ago

Check TP 1 for 12volts.
If low BR1 may need to be replaced.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

Check TP 1 for 12volts.
If low BR1 may need to be replaced.

Not in this case, the color DMD's draw too much power.

Been a recent development/problem.

#13 11 years ago

This must only be an issue with STNG color DMD I have had zero issues with my MM color DMD

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

This must only be an issue with STNG color DMD I have had zero issues with my MM color DMD

Yes and just discovered this week.

#15 11 years ago

Oh.....another thing. I have a fair number of LED's in mine.....maybe that's offsetting the power drain?

#16 11 years ago

Where did my first post go where I mentioned I'm not seeing any issues on mine?

I have the higher power flipper coils installed also.

#17 11 years ago

No problems with my TAF color DMD. Apparently it is too many optos with STTNG. This explains why there isn't a color display for TZ already. I wish I had the skill to build a power supply just for the DMD. I saw that mentioned in another thread and there are instructions - but way over my head.

#18 11 years ago

Have all 4 color dmd's and dont have a problem.......could just be lucky

#19 11 years ago

I cleaned all the optos (apparently they are on the same circuit as the DMD) and it works great now. Color DMD has very good and prompt tech support

The STTNG one is very good. I enjoy the Addams Family color display simply because that is my favorite game ever. But the STTNG one has more to it.

Thanks!

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

But the STTNG one has more to it.
Thanks!

As of sttng has more animations on the dmd/colour dmd than taf still unsure if i should get one for my taf ???

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

dont have a problem.......could just be lucky

Got my sttng CDMD
my first time setting a colour dmd up no probs so far plus I still have no LEDs (why I had the machine since 2009)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
$ 63.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

7,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-very-very-very-weak-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.