Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 days ago by scootss
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    F15962EA-EDEB-4E8A-81E9-DA29A68A22CB_1_201_a (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingvidiot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 48 days ago

oh boy, here come the DLC IS EVIL crowd again.

Like, where did you get this notion from? Video games that cost 60-70 bucks and provide hundreds of hours of gameplay and entertainment? Like, I have yet to play ONE SINGLE VIDEO GAME where the core game sucked, but the DLC really made it great.

Please. ANYONE. Name me ONE video game where the core game isn't worth the price, and you NEED DLC to have a complete game. Just one example would help your argument here.

Don't y'all get tired of running from the boogeymen in your heads and under your beds?

In reality (stay with me here), DLC is simply extra shit to milk the superfans. Like toppers, artblades, shooter rods, etc. these people comprise a sliver of the userbase, but provide pinball and game developers with a lot of extra income. Like, $10 emotes never made any video game better or worse. It's just extra crap. Those mods you buy here in the marketplace? That's user made DLC, ya ding dongs. Is that evil too? "oH nO, mY gOdZilLa aInt cOmPleTe wIthOuT tHis $3o0 3D pRinTeD sHit!!" like, buy the shitty topper if you want an extra mode. it doesnt make the core game any better or worse.

#54 48 days ago
    Quoted from Jaywaggs:

You're not wrong, but there's a difference between a $70 game with $10 DLC that you can bolt on, and a $7000 machine, with DLC you can(have to?) bolt on.
    Anymore, it seems like video games are left a little barren on the tail end to sell that $10 widget. I loathe to think of a world where a pin is not completed (as is the current way, {and potentially incented in the world of this discussion)}, but code completion to your pin is linked to multiple updates.....and you're looking at $7000 out the door for a Pro, but $10000 to get the full, finished game a year later at the same trim level. What are you even signing up for, NiB?

These are all totally unfounded fears.

Again, please NAME ONE VIDEO GAME that sells for $70 that doesn’t give you a ton of entertainment for your dollar until you add the DLC.

Either you can name ONE example that illustrates an anti-consumer precedent, or it’s just hot air.

I’m reminded of the UV kit for stranger things fiasco. Owners who discovered later about the lights were furious…. Why? you bought the game as-is. There’s just an air of entitlement with dlc topics that are super obvious to me. It’s like, you buy the thing and get mad because you think some features were ripped out or something… but you were perfectly content with your purchase until you found out there was more. It’s super childish.

It’s like buying something and then it goes on sale the next day. Like, you saw the price and agreed to it… you’re just mad now cause it’s cheaper. Hey, I do it too, and I’ll also ask for an adjustment, but in no way, do I believe I’m entitled to that, or that any company should be obligated to do so - it’s just easier for them to price adjust, rather than have you return it and buy it again, and so entitled consumer behavior is reinforced.

Video games, in terms of entertainment, are the pinnacle of value-per-dollar items you can buy. Pinball is inherently awful. Like, we spend 6k on a used pro stern and collectively go “wow, what a great deal”. Like, we already pay top dollar for game code that is about on par with a free mobile game. But I get it, this is an incredibly low-volume product by comparison. I’d gladly spend a few hundred to get a little more out of my 10k investments.

DLC is always about keeping players invested in their games, so that they don’t beat em and sell em in a couple of months. It’s a way for game makers to say “don’t sell it just yet, more is coming!”. This is a BIG reason Stern has a year roll out with code.

The real DLC in pinball is Delusional, Loaded, Collectors - that the next pin will be the last one…

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingvidiot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-survey?tu=kingvidiot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.