1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by maroot
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20220628_210026609 (1) (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Hey all, been posting a bit about this in the Godzilla owners thread but figured I'd head to the tech forum as it is more appropriate for the issue I'm having. I just got my first pin and I'm having trouble with the Stern shaker motor I bought rattling and sounding like a jackhammer rather than the much smoother ones I've heard in some Godzilla LE's I've played on location.

Here's a video (rattling is somewhat subdued as I took the video while I had the weights offset 180 to try to fix the issue): https://photos.app.goo.gl/E8DkwE82pAZ3kZXA8

After a bunch of trial and error on nailing down what exactly was rattling (checked glass, playfield, backbox, plastic cover, legs, legs on different flooring), I finally nailed it down to the U shaped casing/mounting bracket around the motor rattling against the motor when it shakes. I noticed that the casing was only screwed onto the motor from one side with four Philips head screws and not at all on the opposite side, and that I could flex it away from the motor if I pulled a bit. As a very crappy test, I jammed some very thick cardboard in the gap between the casing and the motor opposite of the screwed in side and low and behold my jackhammer is MIA. Has anyone found a better solution than this? Is there a way I can tighten things down that I'm missing? Thinking I might just give up and order a PinballLife one that has the bolt running across the top between the casing walls that seemingly is there to prevent this from happening.

Thanks for any suggestions

#2 1 year ago

Found a pretty good fix I think, 14" cable tie around the very top of the casing/mounting bracket pulled as tight as possible with pliers. Might not last forever, but took about 30 seconds to put on and they're like 25 cents a piece.

PXL_20220628_210026609 (1) (resized).jpgPXL_20220628_210026609 (1) (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #3 1 year ago

Thank you! I had this issue as well and this quieted down my machine. Good solution! I am worried its not a great long term solution but it is working for now!. Cheers!

1 year later
    #4 8 months ago

Bumping this thread... Anyone have any other solutions? The zip tie fix isn't working for me.

2 months later
    #5 6 months ago

Have to bump this thread.

Just installed a stern spike 2 shaker on Bond and having the same jackhammer issues described above. It’s a also a problem on the last three spike 2’s I’ve installed. I drilled and ran some long bolts to tighten the chassis to the motor and it worked on the first one. I just copied what was on the stern shaker on my Metallica. Why aren’t they building them that way anymore? Is it the orientation of the motor when mounted? Should the motor terminals face the front of the game.

1 month later
    #6 4 months ago

Can you share a photo of where you drilled and how it looks now?

3 months later
    #7 24 days ago
    Quoted from Otto110:Have to bump this thread.
    Just installed a stern spike 2 shaker on Bond and having the same jackhammer issues described above. It’s a also a problem on the last three spike 2’s I’ve installed. I drilled and ran some long bolts to tighten the chassis to the motor and it worked on the first one. I just copied what was on the stern shaker on my Metallica. Why aren’t they building them that way anymore? Is it the orientation of the motor when mounted? Should the motor terminals face the front of the game.

Yes, if you could take a picture of what you did, that would be helpful.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-2-oem-shaker-jackhammer-noise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.