Hulk arm wrestle.gif
We got to arm wrestle.gif
Make a decision (resized).png
Jerk off.gif
Jerking it!.gif
sitting on the fence.gif
Painting fence.gif
40891B4F-0E32-4C47-AA9A-29190E489875 (resized).jpeg
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 months ago

I would be interested to hear the opinions of people who have played the Premium and the Pro.

I know it's still very early days and the code is at an early stage.

Which one to buy?

#2 5 months ago

I think none at this point.

#3 5 months ago

Not a game I’m interested in, but my buddy played both this week and said he liked the premium a lot more than the pro.
Given each has their own preferences, the question is pointless - gotta play both and decide for yourself. Hope you get the opportunity soon.

#4 5 months ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Given each has their own preferences, the question is pointless - gotta play both and decide for yourself. Hope you get the opportunity soon.

It might seem pointless to you for him to ask other people for their opinions, but it's not pointless to him. He's not asking for them to dictate his own opinion, he's asking for them to share theirs. I often like to ask people what they think of something. Some people don't care. That's OK.

When your buddy told he liked the Premium a lot more than the Pro, I'm sure that registered with you and you found it at -least- a tiny bit interesting. If not, no problem.

#5 5 months ago

This is a tough one for me. I have no game time yet, and either way, I'm waiting on the anniversary for art. I don't like the premium translite, and I don't want to swap it because it has the iconic art on the sides of the head, so it would be too much. I don't like upper playfields, so no big loss, right? But i feel like I need the boat and shark. I don't like the LE because I like 13k more so clearly I can't choose the cup in front you. (Movie ref) So for right now the only way to win is to not play. (Another movie ref)

#6 5 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

It might seem pointless to you for him to ask other people for their opinions, but it's not pointless to him. He's not asking for them to dictate his own opinion, he's asking for them to share theirs. I often like to ask people what they think of something. Some people don't care. That's OK.
When your buddy told he liked the Premium a lot more than the Pro, I'm sure that registered with you and you found it at -least- a tiny bit interesting. If not, no problem.

I see your point. Its a topic that always comes up for every machine. There is also a Hype thread where this topic has been discussed if you want to see more opinions. For me - always a premium - that's what the designer intended. Plus I hate plastic Aprons!

#7 5 months ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

For me - always a premium - that's what the designer intended. Plus I hate plastic Aprons!

Well see, here's an excellent example of why I want to hear other people's opinions. I can afford any Premium but usually don't see enough value to go with that over the Pro. I'd never heard the "It's what the designer intended" idea until recently. Personally I think it's much more "We can get another 2700 very high margin dollars if we offer them a Premium". I'm sure there's some truth in both statements. But I've never worried about what I thought the designer intended, I just care about my personal experience with a pin. Thankfully everyone gets to choose what makes them happiest!

#8 5 months ago

If you are to go in, I would do pro or premium. I have a ton of games on both. I highly recommend playing it before putting any money on either of them though.

#9 5 months ago

Since the premium has the upper playfield as a significant “extra”, it’s tough to say since rules for the upper playfield seem to be lacklustre at present.

#10 5 months ago

Pro.

This is a great video and sums it up in plain English at about 7:20. I (love the accents) and I trust the opinion from 1st hand observers and not players that are too technical. It also shows them side to side and you can clearly see the difference to form your own opinion.

Can't decide? rewind the video and buy a Pulp Fiction, haha.

#11 5 months ago

There's a bit of a sentiment at the moment that the Pro missing the shark mech that's on the Premium really lowers the appeal of the game as whole. I can definitely see the point there.

#12 5 months ago

I haven’t played the game yet, but I think the shark popping up on the premium draws attention better for when you need to hit that shot. That there seems to be the pinball “moment” on Jaws.

The upper playfield doesn’t matter to me, yet anyway. Not sure what the coding will end up being for up there. I’m definitely waiting this out until there is a few more code updates and hopefully I can try both models out before I decide.

1 week later
#13 4 months ago

So a trend I’ve been seeing, hearing, reading on Pro vs Premium goes like this:
“I played the pro, it’s awesome. I’m getting a premium”

I’m trying to understand this psyche. If you played a pro and loved it, why would you even think about upgrading to a premium without playing it? I get it for titles that are very similar, but we’re talking a complete mini playfield that changes one of the coolest shot mechanics of the pro, it swaps the standups for drops which will affect ball trajectory and feeling, and then then pop out jaws bash toy.

I think it’s still too early to decide pro vs premium for those of us that haven’t played both; and for the fact that code is still early. But, curious of why someone would risk the fun they had on a pro for a premium model that might not offer the same shot satisfaction especially if they haven’t played that premium.

For those that played both, that above statement is not intended for you. But, I’d still love to hear some more comments from those that have played both versions and which they prefer. (Asking for a friend ).

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Since the premium has the upper playfield as a significant “extra”, it’s tough to say since rules for the upper playfield seem to be lacklustre at present.

Current rule set almost makes the upper playfield seem irrelevant. From the couple video Stern and spit out, seems to be a quick in and out upper...if you can even get up there. Even Keith had trouble with that shot.

#15 4 months ago

I have a pro on location and played a prem this week. As many have said the upper playfield feels like it fills the game out more. Adds a shot? or 2? I liked the shark popping out as it was more obvious when you need to make that shot. Rather than on the pro the "shark" light just flashes. But that's about it. I left feeling like the pro was a deal. I get 1 of each for locations so I'm not really biased. Guess it just depends on how deep your pockets are or if your a big fan of the franchise.

#16 4 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

... If you played a pro and loved it, why would you even think about upgrading to a premium without playing it?

Pro you get the feeling of the shots and see if it feels nice. Then people go up to the Premium because it has more "stuff" and "more stuff" is better.
We're not going to get people over this idea no matter how hard we try. Tons of Pros are better but people feel like "it's not what the designer intended;" whether that's true or not.
Haven't played Jaws yet but these tiny upper PFs always worry me and seem tacked on. We shall see

#17 4 months ago
Quoted from mjlash22:

Current rule set almost makes the upper playfield seem irrelevant. From the couple video Stern and spit out, seems to be a quick in and out upper...if you can even get up there. Even Keith had trouble with that shot.

I thought the upper playfield did enhance the rules; ie additional way to reel in the shark. Not sure if they’ll add more rules adjustments but 2 ways to reel in a shark could be useful.

#18 4 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I thought the upper playfield did enhance the rules; ie additional way to reel in the shark. Not sure if they’ll add more rules adjustments but 2 ways to reel in a shark could be useful.

I'm not sure it's also to reel in the shark (admittedly, I have not been paying a lot of attention to the rules though), rather I was under the impression that it would help as a mystery award kind of thing -the other wheel that pops up on the display and awards something random?

3 weeks later
#19 3 months ago

Who has played both of these pins? Interested in more thoughts so far. LE counts as well. Only have time on pro.

#20 3 months ago

I’ve played both and can safely now say the premium feels significantly better. I didn’t think the shark would matter and generally don’t like upper playfields but they both adds so much diversity to very static shots on the Pro. The amount of different return ball paths from the upper playfield feel great.

#21 3 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Who has played both of these pins? Interested in more thoughts so far. LE counts as well. Only have time on pro.

Prem definitely better...but I'm hearing the upper PF ramp might be an issue. I played a few 2 player games and got it up there only 5 times

#22 3 months ago

Thanks guys, was really curious about that ramp to upper and how that is playing out for folks

#23 3 months ago

The ramp on the premium / LE upper playfield is the same as that of the pro. The ball needs velocity to swing the 180 degrees. But that is a feature and not a bug. It is a satisfying shot and one you can get very good at after playing some and finding it. Jaws in premium / LE is the most exciting, tense and complete package pin out there. I know people think some are hyping it - but those are the folks that have played it. Listen to them. This is a top 5 game now. With code progression and polish... could be #1.

#24 3 months ago

I actually really like upper playfields but something about jaws i didn't like. I really enjoyed the flow on the pro more. Im normally a prem guy almost every time. But jaws I would seriously consider the pro, it just has a flow about it the prem doesn't.

#25 3 months ago
Quoted from twindad:

The ramp on the premium / LE upper playfield is the same as that of the pro. The ball needs velocity to swing the 180 degrees. But that is a feature and not a bug. It is a satisfying shot and one you can get very good at after playing some and finding it. Jaws in premium / LE is the most exciting, tense and complete package pin out there. I know people think some are hyping it - but those are the folks that have played it. Listen to them. This is a top 5 game now. With code progression and polish... could be #1.

Nice! can’t wait to try it. Love sharpshooting that chum line fin - happy it’s on both models.

#26 3 months ago
Quoted from twindad:

The ramp on the premium / LE upper playfield is the same as that of the pro. The ball needs velocity to swing the 180 degrees.

Yeah I need to investigate more. I don't remember having such a hard time with the pro...so it may be a machine to machine thing
Only played 1 version of each. But it also seemed like a dinky UPF with 2 shots...wasn't super exciting but we shall see.

#27 3 months ago
Quoted from SuperNinjaMonkey:

I actually really like upper playfields but something about jaws i didn't like. I really enjoyed the flow on the pro more. Im normally a prem guy almost every time. But jaws I would seriously consider the pro, it just has a flow about it the prem doesn't.

Hearing the stand ups are more brutal than drops to manage off the third flipper shot. Not sure if true, but I like that.

#28 3 months ago

Does the ball get stuck in the jaws mech a lot on the premium during mb’s?

#29 3 months ago

I kept thinking that the pro would be the better machine, especially for the value/price difference. But I played them both extensively and for a home environment unless budget really is an issue I highly recommend a premium over a pro. If you want one now, I would just make sure that you know that you’re gonna want to staple this game to the floor for a long time otherwise you’re gonna likely take a big hit on the second market when you go to sell.

I will likely pick one up just because I end up picking every game up eventually anyways, but I’m gonna buy one likely towards the end of the year because there’s gonna be a shit ton of these on the marketplace.

#30 3 months ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I kept thinking that the pro would be the better machine, especially for the value/price difference. But I played them both extensively and for a home environment unless budget really is an issue I highly recommend a premium over a pro. If you want one now, I would just make sure that you know that you’re gonna want to staple this game to the floor for a long time otherwise you’re gonna likely take a big hit on the second market when you go to sell.
I will likely pick one up just because I end up picking every game up eventually anyways, but I’m gonna buy one likely towards the end of the year because there’s gonna be a shit ton of these on the marketplace.

So your advice is don’t buy either unless you want to lose a lot of money ?

#31 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

don’t buy either unless you want to lose a lot of money ?

40891B4F-0E32-4C47-AA9A-29190E489875 (resized).jpeg40891B4F-0E32-4C47-AA9A-29190E489875 (resized).jpeg
#32 3 months ago

You honestly can’t go wrong with either it’s an amazing machine super unique layout and shots one of Elwin’s best and the video assets are incredible. I personally like the flow more on the pro but the premium was fantastic too. Elwin truly is in a incredible zone right now every pin he makes is a certified classic.

#33 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So your advice is don’t buy either unless you want to lose a lot of money ?

You almost read everything properly this time. If I was to read what I wrote it’s pretty clear from my message that the best strategy would be to wait towards the end of the year to purchase either of the two games. I specifically mentioned that I would probably pick up a premium at the end of the year because there will be a shit ton of them likely on the marketplace. With a ton of them likely on the marketplace, and lots of new titles will be out by then supply and demand, etc., don’t think I need to explain it that much more. So some common sense would tell you that my personal opinion which is based off of the marketplace trends lately is if you wait towards the end of the year you can probably buy either of the two titles at likely highly discounted rates. I am not trying to insult you in anyway, I just can’t tell if you your comment was meant to just be funny (which means to me, you didn’t understand the message completely or didn’t read it all or if that truly is the only conclusion you came to. I’m only asking because I’m extremely intrigued by this!

Yes sir, you can also take from this from the first part of my original message that if you were to buy either of the two titles right now, you will lose a lot of money if you didn’t fully take in what i wrote.

So my advice is for you to read my original post more clearly.

#34 3 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Hearing the stand ups are more brutal than drops to manage off the third flipper shot. Not sure if true, but I like that.

Yea i felt that a bit but didn't think it was really much worse then other machines.

1 week later
#35 3 months ago

Anyone else play both pins over the last few weeks? Played the premium and definitely had to hit that shot to upper clean! Actually liked the shark as well. Chum line a lot of fun on both.

#36 3 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Anyone else play both pins over the last few weeks? Played the premium and definitely had to hit that shot to upper clean! Actually liked the shark as well. Chum line a lot of fun on both.

Premium & Pro where hitting that turn around Easy. The advantage the Prem has is you have a shotbfrom the UPF that will get you to the fish finder lane when litmus that's helpfull.

#37 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Premium & Pro where hitting that turn around Easy. The advantage the Prem has is you have a shotbfrom the UPF that will get you to the fish finder lane when litmus that's helpfull.

Yeah being in the back you certainly need some serious momentum. Didn’t spend a ton of time up top but liked the other shots and reel

#38 3 months ago
Quoted from SuperNinjaMonkey:

You honestly can’t go wrong with either it’s an amazing machine super unique layout and shots one of Elwin’s best and the video assets are incredible. I personally like the flow more on the pro but the premium was fantastic too. Elwin truly is in a incredible zone right now every pin he makes is a certified classic.

I'll eat my hat on this one. Was an easy pass for me originally. Wasn't in love with the theme and it seemed sparse from the original photos. Just played the Pro at Silverball Planet in Osaka, Japan and it was the game I kept coming back to the most. Unique layout and it felt great to play. It was a noisy arcade, but that Jaws theme in the background and the target popping up and red LEDs really got the heart racing.

I can really see this game being popular when the code is complete and looking forward to playing the Premium when my friend gets his.

#39 3 months ago

Only mild concern is the steady stop and go with two up post in both lanes. Own JP so used to it I guess but a lot of waiting and skipping through longer clips. Most probably love it. Fantastic shooter otherwise. Code is still early

1 week later
#40 3 months ago

Played Pro alot

Just played LE last night

Darn it they both are excellent!

No way to choose here.
Sorry

#41 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Played Pro alot
Just played LE last night
Darn it they both are excellent!
No way to choose here.
Sorry

It’s true, both seem like winners

#42 3 months ago

There both winners for sure king elwin made another outstanding game.

#43 3 months ago

This isn't helping. I didn't need to add another machine to my want list. I was happy to not care about the Jaws theme or what I originally thought was going to be a sparse layout.

1 week later
#44 84 days ago

I am still balancing on top of the fence post trying to decide?

I am now waiting on the JAWS ball eating mod to see if it makes a difference in fun factor for both games

-Patience Daniel son-up down up down

Painting fence.gifPainting fence.gif
#45 84 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am still balancing on top of the fence post trying to decide?

sitting on the fence.gifsitting on the fence.gif
#46 84 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am now waiting on the JAWS ball eating mod to see if it makes a difference in fun factor for both games

If your decision to buy the game is hinging on whether the ball-eating shark mod is fun..it's probably not a fun enough game for you.

#47 84 days ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

If your decision to buy the game is hinging on whether the ball-eating shark mod is fun..it's probably not a fun enough game for you.

Jerking it!.gifJerking it!.gif
#48 84 days ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

.it's probably not a fun enough game for you.

Jerk off.gifJerk off.gif
#49 84 days ago

One thing I like about the mod is it helping fix the ball hang ups for Premium/LE when the Shark raises and lowers from playfield. I already can't stand the stop and go movie clips and do not want to wait for ball searches.

#50 84 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

One thing I like about the mod is it helping fix the ball hang ups for Premium/LE when the Shark raises and lowers from playfield. I already can't stand the stop and go movie clips and do not want to wait for ball searches.

New code addressed this, Bruce spits ball out instantly, no need to wait for ball search

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Cabinet Parts
Pin-Tools.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Shoreham, NY
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 48.50
$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Dr Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Stuart, VA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
FlipMods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Other
FlipMods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

9,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Powell, OH
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Magnetic Speaker Framez

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 74.99
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 799.00
Playfield - Plastics
CRCades

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jaws-pro-vs-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.