(Topic ID: 65525)

Steps for diagnosing TOM playfield lights not lighting?

By robbiedoo

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Rickwh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tmp_IMG_20131007_192721692725443.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I tried the obvious, first I replaced the bulb, and tried again, and again, and again. So I know it's not the bulb!

Next, I fiddled with the conntectors to the lighting board, and at the other end on the board in the head unit. Unplugged, plugged back in... nothing.

Oh, and its for TOM. Its the 2 lights in the playfield for 'Spirit Cards' and 'Midnight', the thing is, all the other lights on the same board work perfectly.

Help a noob?

#2 10 years ago

Did u try to take a working bulb from another socket and swap it in. Does issue stay with bulb, or the socket?

#3 10 years ago

It is definitely with socket, working bulbs from other sockets don't work in the two I'm troubleshooting.

#4 10 years ago

Did you move the socket, or just the bulb?

#5 10 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean, there was a bulb in there that didn't light so I tried lots of other bulbs, known working bulbs. I haven't done anything to move the socket, it's attached to a board with other sockets on it, but THEY work.

#6 10 years ago

My old Sega X Files didn't have boards under the playfield holding many of the sockets for playfield illumination... but TOM has lots.

And it seems that 1 or 2 on every board is out, it's definitely not just the bulb, I used my multimeter in the socket of a working light and received a decent reading, but when I use the multimeter in a socket of non-working light, I get it shows less than 10% of the working socket's reading.

It seems that pulling and pushing bulbs into some of those sockets on those boards might break something, but most of the connections still look decent. I was able to solder a single one to get it to work, because it was obviously dangling, but I still have 10 or so seemingly random bulbs on various lamp boards under the playfield just refusing to work. In addition, the 'special' lights on the outlanes and the 'Shoot Again' light behind the flippers all refuse to work too.

I'm at a loss, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

#7 10 years ago

Never mind.

#8 10 years ago

The lights twist into a PCB. The light holders are plastic, and have metal contacts on them. Take a known working plastic socket with a working bulb and move it around. That way you can narrow down the problem. If a known working bulb holder and bulb fails in some parts of the PCB, then that at least gives us some information. The plastic holder has metal leads that contact the exposed traces on the PCB. You can check for wear on the PCB, but my guess is that the twist scockets themselves have worn or are tarnished.

#9 10 years ago

Ohh! So you can just twist out those ones? I'll do that, and that will at least help me with the ones inset in the board. The others are mounted parallel to the board and I don't think they're removable.

I'll report back once I give it a shot, thanks for the tip!

#10 10 years ago

Hope you have a nice soldering station. You're gonna need it in this hobby. Check for cracked soldering points on the pins, resolder if necessary.

#11 10 years ago

I bought a $16 soldering gun today... is that good enough? I actually was able to fix 3 severed switches and a dangling light socket with it already.

Well, the twist out sockets only fixed 1 light, but that's 1 more lit than before!

Cracked soldering points on the pins huh? I'll take a look, but not exactly sure what that is supposed to look like...

#12 10 years ago

I went cheap on the soldering iron at first too, strangely ToM was my first pin as well years ago. I highly recommend buying a nice one from somewhere like amazon. You'll know where the money went, those cheap ones just don't cut it. If it works for now though...

Just look closely for a hairline crack around the base of any of the pins. Or look for the solder to be grimey looking or dull. You'll want the solder to look shiny and new.

#13 10 years ago

Dang... the pins on the lighting boards look really good. I checked closely and there are no cracks, plus they look like the shiniest things on the whole pin...

Is there something I can do with my multimeter to see if the proper power is coming through the wires? I tried to look in the manual but had trouble identifying which wire powers which lamp.

#14 10 years ago

So, I discovered the individual light test, and this chart. I highlighted the dark bulbs... notice a pattern? There was a severed wire below the playfield. Others were bulbs... all lit up now!

Edit: 2 severed wires, actually!

tmp_IMG_20131007_192721692725443.jpgtmp_IMG_20131007_192721692725443.jpg

#15 10 years ago

Glad to see you got it worked out. There's always a solution, sometimes they can be so simple.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

So, I discovered the individual light test, and this chart. I highlighted the dark bulbs... notice a pattern? There was a severed wire below the playfield. Others were bulbs... all lit up now!
Edit: 2 severed wires, actually!

Awesome science!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steps-for-diagnosing-playfield-lights-not-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.