Star Trek Pro auto-fire issue

By pinwiz83

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have an intermittent auto-fire ball issue with my Star Trek Pro.

At the start of a new ball, the game will automatically select a mode, kick the ball to the shooter lane, and fire the ball. Normally the player selects the mode with the flipper buttons and starts the mode via the lockdown bar "fire" button or the manual plunger.

This doesn't occur all of the time. Sometimes I can choose and start the mode as expected at the beginning of a new ball. I have never encountered this issue while selecting a mode via the far left lock lane. Only at the beginning of a new ball.

I put the game in switch test mode and could not identify any switches that required readjusting.

Anyone encounter/fix this issue?

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Put the game in switch test, then lightly pound on the lower playfield with the bottom of your fist to simulate the trough eject coil. Observe which switch is triggering when it shouldn't and fix it.

#3 10 years ago

Call Stern. Brand new game should not do this. They will help.

#4 10 years ago

Its a switch issue. The game is registering a phantom switch hit. Due to that, it assumes the ball is already in play. Perhaps the lockdown bar switch? Do you have any score points from it? If you can reproduce on ball 1 when your score should be 0 and see a number of points from it, it would make it easier.

Quoted from pintechev:

Brand new game should not do this.

Irrelevant. No game should do this.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. Spoke with Stern and they suggested the switch test as well, but I received no switch triggers when I hit the playfield.

I'll double check to see if I get points from the lockdown bar switch.

#6 10 years ago

In switch test mode, try manually operating the ball-eject plunger .. get a finger under the bottom and push sharply upward to kick a ball in the trough. See if any switches besides trough and shooter-lane trigger.

2 weeks later
#7 10 years ago

More observations..

Sometimes at the start of a new ball the top drop target resetting or just hitting a flipper button can also trigger the unexpected mode selection. The mode is automatically selected and the ball is autoplunged, as if the mode start button was selected. Again, only happens about 20 - 30% of the time, more noticeable with multi-player games.

This never happens when mode selection occurs on the far left kick out hole or when the ball travels underneath the upper right flipper into the shooter lane.

Have tried several switch tests and can't find a faulty switch.

Has anyone encountered anything remotely similar with their Star Trek? Mine is a Pro.

Thanks!

2 months later
#8 10 years ago

pinwiz83,

Have you fixed your auto launch problem yet? My Star Trek Pro is less than a month old and its happening every time now. It started with it happening every once in a while but now it will go thru a whole game without me even touching the machine. I plan to call Stern on my next available business day. Please post a resolution if you have one.

Thanks,
Roger

#9 10 years ago

Called Stern today and spoke with Chas. He recommended running switch diag. Seeing alert "check switch D-9" and diag results D-9, D-11, & D-15 Not in service (L, R, & UR Flipper Button). Service manual says to see next page for dedicated switch locations but they only have a diagram for the regular switch locations. Flippers work but they showed up on switch test as Flipper EOS not Flipper Button. Anyone have a clue? Will try to call Chas back tomorrow...Thanks

3 months later
#10 9 years ago

Its the drop target reset bracket. It screws in to the plunger and resets the target. the vibration tears the screw and screw hole to bits and then rattles the bracket loose keeping it from resetting the drop. At ball start it will see the drop is down and reset it, but it won't lock and drops signaling a hit to Vengance thus auto launching a ball. When it gets real bad it goes super nuts and will access Vengance modes in about 5 seconds. I;m waiting for my advance repair kit to arrive today. I see this as being a serious reoccuring problem. Granted this machine is on location, but to have this happen in less than two months with about 400 plays... Its going to get real old real quick

3 months later
#11 9 years ago

Stern told me the issue could have something to do with intermittent opto switches, but that it should be fixed with the new code. It still happens with the 1.5 update, perhaps even more frequently.

The ball will auto-launch even when the Vengeance drop target is up. Sometimes the ball will auto-launch as soon as a new ball starts (mode selected by game, ball is kicked out from trough, ball auto-launches), and other times the ball will launch when I hit the flipper button to select a mode.

Anyone encounter this issue, or have any ideas?

#12 9 years ago

I have auto launch timer turned off and launch with flippers off in 1.5 it will sometimes shoot the ball out of the shooter lane by itself. Not all the time.
Never had this issue before. As well as not autoshooting during multiball sometimes.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from pinwiz83:

Stern told me the issue could have something to do with intermittent opto switches, but that it should be fixed with the new code. It still happens with the 1.5 update, perhaps even more frequently.
The ball will auto-launch even when the Vengeance drop target is up. Sometimes the ball will auto-launch as soon as a new ball starts (mode selected by game, ball is kicked out from trough, ball auto-launches), and other times the ball will launch when I hit the flipper button to select a mode.
Anyone encounter this issue, or have any ideas?

It was reported to me by one of my players that the left ramp and warp ramp are flakey on my machine, I haven't seen it, but I have had a few auto (new since the drop repair) launches while everything else seems to be working. I am going to check all the opto boards and wiring to make sure.
I'll update if I get it figured out

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Marshfield, MO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-auto-fire-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.