S-M_012.jpg
image.jpg
CIMG5104.JPG
image.jpg
IMG_2747.JPG
IMG_2746.JPG
IMG_2744.JPG
IMG_2745.JPG
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

With the recent fury of interest (both good and bad) in the new Star Trek, and its similarity to SR's classic, Spider-man, I thought I'd post some pictures of my SM.

I bought a NIB regular version 2 years ago from JJ at GEX (who everyone knows is awesome to deal with). Over the last 2 years, I have taken some time to do some mods to it. Most recently I picked up some chrome legs (from pinballlife) SR chrome webbed SM siderails (from Oldpinguy) and a chrome lockdown (directly from Mike Chestnut). All are class acts.

IMO the chrome legs, siderails and lockdown bar look awesome, especially with the chrome backbox trim that comes with the standard edition.

For the SR webbed side rails, I decided to leave the red inserts out and let the cabinet art show through the chrome.

I also added LEDs in all inserts (and some GI's around the villains), different plastics over the slings and outlanes (red and black theme) with matching red and black flipper rubbers. Matt McKee topper. Spider inserts on the speakers. DMD glare guard. Custom red SM shooter rod. Custom rule cards.

I think it has turned out super. It is a fast, fun and smooth playing game out of the box. But with my additions, I think its a pretty reasonable FAUX LE.

Thoughts? Those from the Edmonton crew should stop by to judge for themselves.

IMG_2759.jpgIMG_2759.jpg IMG_2750.jpgIMG_2750.jpg IMG_2739.jpgIMG_2739.jpg

#2 10 years ago

More

IMG_2760.JPGIMG_2760.JPG IMG_2756.JPGIMG_2756.JPG IMG_2755.jpgIMG_2755.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Looks nice. You gotta finish off the chrome now though. Coin door and hinges need doing.

PS: Not a big fan of the shooter rod, but that's just me.

#4 10 years ago

Moar

IMG_2740.jpgIMG_2740.jpg IMG_2745.JPGIMG_2745.JPG IMG_2744.JPGIMG_2744.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Gréât job

slid bar you had or the

#6 10 years ago

Playfield

IMG_2746.JPGIMG_2746.JPG IMG_2747.JPGIMG_2747.JPG

#7 10 years ago

So pretty, brings tears to my eye. Instead of chroming the coin door Id get a cool spiderweb paint job on it.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Looks nice. You gotta finish off the chrome now though. Coin door and hinges need doing.
PS: Not a big fan of the shooter rod, but that's just me.

Thanks. At some point, I will do the hinges. They are pretty hidden when the game is beside my others.

Not sure about doing the coin door though - boy are they ever expensive!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

So pretty, brings tears to my eye. Instead of chroming the coin door Id get a cool spiderweb paint job on it.

That sounds great! Are you offering your services...?

#10 10 years ago

Great looking SM! Love that pin. Mine isn't going anywhere. A keeper for sure!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

That sounds great! Are you offering your services...?

Although I am a painter by trade, Im not an artistic painter so Im sure we would both be disappointed by the results

Lots of talented guys on here though PPG or maybe even TrilogyBeer would try something like that.

#12 10 years ago

Looks great with the chrome! Love the sling plastics by back alley.

#13 10 years ago

If they did make a Spidey LE I'm pretty sure you'd be right on the mark. Looks awesome!

#14 10 years ago

Thanks guys.

Buckman - I thought you were coming by Edmonton to put some games on my machines?

#15 10 years ago

Looks awesome. Great job!

#16 10 years ago

I really like those side rails. Game looks sweet!

#17 10 years ago

Killer game!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#18 10 years ago

Looks nice Faux Shaux Yaux

#19 10 years ago

Red DMD cover .

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Buckman - I thought you were coming by Edmonton to put some games on my machines?

I was hoping to get back to Edmonton this Summer but it just didn't happen. Between baseball coaching and holidays with the family the Summer went by pretty quickly.

For sure though when I get back that way next I'll be stopping by to check out the machines!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Thanks. At some point, I will do the hinges. They are pretty hidden when the game is beside my others.
Not sure about doing the coin door though - boy are they ever expensive!

Looks really good, I would skip the coindoor it is too much and with it black the armor really pops. Save your money and get the red Pinbits DMD cover and webbed protectors instead.

#22 10 years ago

I've never added a DMD cover before. What do they do or add? Does it just change the color of the dots to red?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I've never added a DMD cover before. What do they do or add? Does it just change the color of the dots to red?

Yes

#24 10 years ago

Yes, Looks like this.

CIMG5104.JPGCIMG5104.JPG

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

It is easy to install.
Here you go:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&products_id=451

#26 10 years ago

I think you need to add the BAC buildings and Subway mod,with Hemi's Led light kits.
They look great on mine.

Yours is very nice as well

#27 10 years ago

Looks clean. Please don't chrome the coin door, it will turn all the hard work you did into something tacky. I'm not a fan of that look, ever, it detracts from everything else.

#28 10 years ago

Very nice! I played this for the first time last weekend and what a great pin. Wish I had one! One of the top sterns besides LOTR and ACDC IMO.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Looks clean. Please don't chrome the coin door, it will turn all the hard work you did into something tacky. I'm not a fan of that look, ever, it detracts from everything else.

Agreed. Sometimes it works, but definitely not on SM.

#30 10 years ago

looks great mate.. killer game!!!!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

If they did make a Spidey LE I'm pretty sure you'd be right on the mark. Looks awesome!

ummmm....

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=spiderman&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#5650

I like the chrome on yours Apollyon! Don't do the coin door IMHO, keep it classy.

I'm planning on doing something similar to my SM, just not sure what exactly I want yet.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

Wouldn't the Black SM be considered the LE? Fortunately back then the only difference between the Red and Black were all cosmetic and game play was identical and up to the buyer if they wanted to splurge or not.

I also think you should install the red dmd cover from pinbits, I did it on mine and love it. I am really digging all this chrome trim too and agree you should do the backbox hinges too should one day you decide to put it on the end of your line up where one side is exposed. I would also leave the coin door stock the way they should be on all games.

#33 10 years ago

You will lose a fair amount of brightness on the DMD with the red cover. I did anyway when I did the same to my RBION. I kept it, but felt it lost some crispness

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

I think you need to add the BAC buildings and Subway mod,with Hemi's Led light kits.
They look great on mine.
Yours is very nice as well

I have debated this one back and forth in my mind. I like the subway train, but not sure about the buildings on the left side. Would look great with the LED lights though...

For those who have picked up the BAC set, does it make the playfield look too busy or detract from the gameplay?

#35 10 years ago

Coin doors look tacky when they get chromed, black is the way to go

#36 10 years ago

Yours looks great!! I'd definitely say to add the red DMD cover, which is literally just putting it in front of the DMD to make the dots red. (Our speaker panel was toast anyway and we had it apart to repaint/replace the DMD cover anyway, but I don't think it would be difficult to do normally.) And I don't think the buildings make it look too busy or bother gameplay. I got them cheaper off the forum or wouldn't have paid the normal price for them, but they are nice in person.

We got ours from a warehouse fire and had to tear down and clean, so we added quite a few things to it as we put it back together. If you don't look at the left side of the cabinet, you'd never know it was damaged. We added the BAC black plastics (including the Spidey Sense one) because I had the regular sling plastics, building/subway set, red DMD cover, plastic guards, red spiders in grill (and on playfield webs for the extra ones that came with it,) target decals, Sandman bank decal, replaced damaged backboard decal, and repainted all trim/lockdown/legs glossy black. A shaker motor is on my wish list to Santa. lol I somehow don't have the current pics of it on my phone, but this at least shows the red DMD so you can see what it looks like on Spidey.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#37 10 years ago

I have debated this one back and forth in my mind. I like the subway train, but not sure about the buildings on the left side. Would look great with the LED lights though...
For those who have picked up the BAC set, does it make the playfield look too busy or detract from the gameplay?

I never bought the buildings because there was no sidewalk plastic for underneath them.
I also thought they narrowed the look of the game.
I made a plastic to replace the totem of heads under GG and removed the slings since there is no white mask under them and they are also butt ugly.
I went with the Pinbits webbed protectors and speaker spiders on the slings.
I changed out the spot lights and added sand dunes to cover more of the disembodied actor heads.
I changed the flippers out to the shorter black lightning bolts.

S-M_012.jpgS-M_012.jpg s-m_019.jpgs-m_019.jpg spdrmn_008.jpgspdrmn_008.jpg

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Wouldn't the Black SM be considered the LE? Fortunately back then the only difference between the Red and Black were all cosmetic and game play was identical and up to the buyer if they wanted to splurge or not.

Exactly how the LE model should be

I've got a PBL blue 9-LED flasher in the back panel:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1247

It is SUPER DUPER bright!

I've got the Pinbits red DMD filter and Pinbits blue webbed plastic protectors installed. I changed the flipper bats to yellow from white. Nothing else was done, no LEDs other than the one flasher.

#39 10 years ago

Great seeing other people's mods to the game. I do like the look of the red dmd color on SM. Thanks for the pic Blondetall.

6 months later
#40 10 years ago

Finally got around to picking up and installing some chrome hinges. Can't say enough what a great job Mike Chestnut does, and how solid of a guy he is.

Here is the game now. Can't really see the chrome hinges that great in the pic, but it looks awesome in person.
20140411_224312_resized.jpg20140411_224312_resized.jpg

#41 10 years ago

Hard to see what you have done from the pictures, but can't wait to see it in person all of your mods and add-ons are done very tastefully, pretty impressive collection...

#42 10 years ago

I've done the same chrome parts. I have the subway and buildings from Back Alley. In addition, I drilled out the tailights on the subway train, added LEDs and tied them into the GI. I bought an LED backbox kit and modified it by adding LED flashers behind the individual characters. (Goblin, Venom, Sandman, Dock Ock). I obviously tied those flashers into their respective flashers on the PF. I've done more mods that I can't think of right now.

If I had to do it again, I would have gone powder coated vs chrome. Chrome looks GREAT. Until you play. Then it is full on handprints. Drives me nuts.

One mod I want to do is to powder coat the wire ramps. One candy apple red and the other powder blue. Though one of my ramps is mostly covered by the buildings. I want to do this mod, but it means my game is out of commission for a while.

#43 10 years ago

I'll post pics if I remember when I get back home this weekend.

#44 10 years ago

I am working on a custom speaker panel and apron for SM.

#45 10 years ago

Really are a true collector. Great collectables (sports, hockey for my taste, movie props). My kind of pins with great taste in mods. You have all the best latest pins but where the hell is my numero uno ? AC/DC Premium

Very nice. Now the more i'm reading here the more it seems like pinball province is Alberta for Canada.

Just a question : your dmd is a sigma color dmd sam/whitestar with a red filter ?

#46 10 years ago

Here is a low res pic of the subway car with tailights.

Spidey Subway.jpgSpidey Subway.jpg

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

Here is a low res pic of the subway car with tailights.

Spidey Subway.jpg 63 KB

Love the subway. I have debated about adding one, but that looks cool!

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Really are a true collector. Great collectables (sports, hockey for my taste, movie props). My kind of pins with great taste in mods. You have all the best latest pins but where the hell is my numero uno ? AC/DC Premium
Very nice. Now the more i'm reading here the more it seems like pinball province is Alberta for Canada.
Just a question : your dmd is a sigma color dmd sam/whitestar with a red filter ?

Thanks! Much appreciated.

On SM, the DMD is the stock orange. No filter. I actually really want to try out a color DMD, but I am not sure which game to put it in, I am afraid once I get one, I'll want one for the others.

ACDC is a funny one for me. As you can tell, I am a movie theme junkie for pins. But I love ACDC's music - especially the older stuff with Bon Scott (Let there be Rock live is the balls). When I have played the pin, I have liked it, but not loved it. One thing that drives me nuts is the placement of the cannon and how you cannot see the inlane to know when to nudge. Its a small thing but it bothers me in a game that is so unforgiving. I'd consider one for sure if I had more room. But I seriously think that I am out of room now for pins. Have to move something out, and I currently wouldn't move any that I have for one.

By the way, my trips to the Belle Province have always been awesome. Love it there. Best atmosphere for hockey bar none. Go Habs!

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Love the subway. I have debated about adding one, but that looks cool!

You should. I don't see mirror blades either. You should go for the city decals blades and add the city buildins from Matt. Can be crowded a bit to the eyes but with the lightshow going on it's pretty cool. Sure you ve seen it, if not pinball refinery have nice images.

#50 10 years ago

Hey next time you re around PM me. I'll cure you about your AC/DC issues. Changing that cannon for the refinery die cast helped improve the line of sight. Have you tried the last code polish ? You owe it to yourself to give it another chance.

Seriously, stop by, always beer, sport, pins and funny stories to share lol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

arcade-cabinets.com

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.95
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-faux-le-edition/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.