(Topic ID: 342371)

Shaker motor question

By Pinball1987

8 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2993 (resized).jpeg
    #1 8 months ago

I installed this on my Jurassic park and when the T. rex is unleashed. It shakes a lot and even if you’re watching you hear the machine shaking. Is that normal? It is installed very right. Thanks

#2 8 months ago

Adjust the shaker ...

#3 8 months ago

Pinball Shakers do in fact shake the pinball machines they are in.

#4 8 months ago

It’s a SHAKER MOTOR. That’s literally what it’s called. Of course your machine is
    Shaking.

Can we get a moratorium on new 1987 threads for a while? This is getting brutal.

#6 8 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

I installed this on my Jurassic park and when the T. rex is unleashed. It shakes a lot and even if you’re watching you hear the machine shaking. Is that normal? It is installed very right. Thanks

It's normal at that point in the game. It seems extreme to someone not used to it.

#7 8 months ago

The shaker in JP does shake the crap out of that pin, compared to others.

#8 8 months ago

I don’t have a shaker in my JP- I want to say some Stern’s have different levels of useage (normal, moderate).

Also, what kind of shaker did you get? There are some out there that are a little bit more violent than others…

#10 8 months ago

To the actual helpful people it’s a stern shaker. I’ve never played a game with a shaker so I wanted to make sure it’s normal that it is very intense. Seems it will shake parts loose.

#11 8 months ago

.....welcome to pinside.

#12 8 months ago

“Stern, your shaker motor is shaking my machine. I’d like to open a ticket.”

#13 8 months ago

For those who might not know (like me not long ago), you can adjust the weight offsets to decrease the intensity.
    https://flipstream.org/articles/adjusting-pinball-shaker-motor-strength

#14 8 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

To the actual helpful people it’s a stern shaker. I’ve never played a game with a shaker so I wanted to make sure it’s normal that it is very intense. Seems it will shake parts loose.

Depending on how the shaker is programmed in the code, it can be a gentle vibration to a full-on earthquake.

You can adjust the intensity of the shake by adjusting the position of the weights on the motor itself. Check to see how they are aligned on your shaker.
    If the weights (located on each end of the shaker) are positioned opposite each other, the shaking effect will be less violent. If the weights are aligned, the shaking will be more violent.

^^^^ There! See the link above. I was having a brain fart while trying to type this. ^^^^

You can adjust how OFTEN the shaker motor is active in the standard adjustments: Usually, NONE, MINIMAL, MODERATE, MAXIMAL

1 week later
    #15 7 months ago

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but the OP might have a valid concern here.

I know….but hear me out. I have 3 stern spike shakers, a pinballlife spike shaker and a stern Sam shaker. The most recent stern spike shaker definitely shakes different than the rest.

The other shakers have a smooth shake, while this new stern shaker shakes violently. I’ve tried it in two different machines, I’ve offset the weights 90 degrees (which helps a little), but it still feels noticeably different.

And I really don’t know what could be causing this different type of shake. Both motors list 3100 rpm. They appear identical other than the 4 digit number next to the model. I suppose I could compare the weights but they appear identical.

IMG_2993 (resized).jpegIMG_2993 (resized).jpeg

#16 7 months ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but the OP might have a valid concern here.
    I know….but hear me out. I have 3 stern spike shakers, a pinballlife spike shaker and a stern Sam shaker. The most recent stern spike shaker definitely shakes different than the rest.
    The other shakers have a smooth shake, while this new stern shaker shakes violently. I’ve tried it in two different machines, I’ve offset the weights 90 degrees (which helps a little), but it still feels noticeably different.
    And I really don’t know what could be causing this different type of shake. Both motors list 3100 rpm. They appear identical other than the 4 digit number next to the model. I suppose I could compare the weights but they appear identical.
    [quoted image]

That’s what I was saying. The shake is very violent where the back glass just shakes so loud it sounds like it is going to break. I hard to turn mine down and I have it set moderate because of this but it still is pretty intense. I was hoping for a smoother shake

#17 7 months ago

I’ll have to also see where the weights are.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaker-motor-question-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.