Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by donjagra
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

Hi pinheads, I had a small problem today and wonder if you can help???

After finishing putting the playfield back together on the Shadow I cleaned all under playfield inserts, then I switched it on and problems started. The problem was not untill I'd worked under the playfield as far as I'm aware.

The machine asked me to check fuse 114 and 115, 114 had to be changed, only to blow again. After looking over the machine again, checking for bent over bulb holders, loose wires etc, a washer appeared and fell into main cab(I don't know where from).Now none of the ring lights would work and the start button and buy in button were not flashing right, nor was the O mongal light they were all extremly bright.

Going into individual bulb test, three times did 2 lights, light up together(I believe this shouldn't be), and in ordered row/lamp test it showed up that row/column 8 appeared to have the all these lamps, the four rings, the three over bright bulbs and a random arrow bulb.

I have checked the Q91 tp107 transistor against all its nieghbouring transtistors, and this one appears to give off a bad reading, I have ordered new transistors and have to wait now to see if it will be the fix.

Do you think I'm on the right track here or have you got any suggestions for me??????

#2 13 years ago

Sounding good so far.

Although, I would go back through the chain of lights and follow them to make sure that there isn't a short in them somewhere. It is possible that the transistor is the only problem, but I have my doubts because you blew the fuse. I suspect that the transistor was overloaded when the surge popped the fuse. I think you need to find the cause of the surge.

So, it is possible that you could be looking at the symptom and not the cause.

#3 13 years ago

Here's an update....

I changed Q91 transistor and now bulb brightness has returned to normal, and in single lamp test every thing is OK.

But the 4 ring lamps are still out, I don't know why yet, any ideas????

Also something else which didn't happen before is need of fixing, when the ball is put onto the mini playfield the kicker kicks continously, it shouldn't, this should only kick when the opto switch is triggered. In switch test the switch works fine and I tested all transistors on driver board and it all seems good.

#4 13 years ago

As for the kicker, check the switch from the bottom of the playfield. I don't have the manual on me atm to see which number it is in the switch test.

There is a switch where the ball rests on, in order to trigger the kick. The switch might be touching something in order to continually trigger the kicker, like you are having.

I was having an issue a while back where the switch wasn't sitting properly. Everytime the ball was placed on the kicker (in order to get up to the battlefield), the switch wasn't detecting it and halted the game. The switch turned out to be loose. We tightened the switch up and it works 100% of the time now.

#5 13 years ago

Just spent another hour or so tinkering, mini playfield kicker is fine now, and the four ring lights are still out. Other than that it is playing fine at the mo.

However another question if I may....

On the driver board in the backbox can someone tell me what LED 2 (high/low line voltage sensor) should be doing in attract mode, the book says it is usually on.

On this game and in attract mode mine does the following, it goes on, then flashes in time with the attract mode and finally it stays on and flickers/fades and it looks weak, after this it cycles again. I wonder if the flickering part is trying to tell me something???

#6 13 years ago

Final update.

donjagra you were spot on, there was something else behind the blown transistor, thanks.

Problem solved, the four ring lights were out because of a burnt/broken trace on a board under the playfield. The board in question was the " 5 SWITCH & DIODE P.C.B, C-13940 ".

I can only assume that the random washer that appeared in the cabinet when the playfield was lifted had fallen onto this board, then upon power up burnt the trace, caused the short, then blew the transistor Q91 and the fuse.

I felt so good after discovering, then repairing and finally seeing the 4 missing lights working again.

#7 13 years ago

Holy cow! Good find. Glad to hear that it is fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-lamp-matrix-or-is-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.