Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by 85Txaggie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey Pinside! I'm new here, and I'm looking for my first pin. Specifically, Johnny Mnemonic. My budget is tight, and I'm mainly interested in deep rules and interesting modes, so this one speaks to me. I'm also the world's biggest William Gibson fan, so anything even tangentially related gets my attention (yah yah, the movie was silly).

I have two questions for you veteran pinheads. First, does anyone know a secret spot in the Los Angeles area where I can play a quality JM, just to make sure it's for me? I've played at the two "known" locations in LA that have one, and both machines are virtually unplayable, they are so poorly maintained. I've watched all the gameplay videos and done the reading and I'm pretty confident this game is for me, but I don't feel good about spending the money without playing it "for real" at least a little bit.

Second question- because my budget is so tight, I'm interested in a machine that needs work. Even a full restoration doesn't scare me. I'm experienced with things mechanical and electronic, and working on pins sounds like as much fun as playing them to me. The listings you see are mostly for shopped or fully restored machines (and priced accordingly). Any tips for finding a run-down one in need of rescuing?

That said, I'm open to considering a fair price on a good-condition machine, so if someone is thinking about selling, I'll listen. I'll pick up within a 6-7 hour driving radius of SoCal. I'm not interested in flipping machines or making money at this- I just want one to play for a long time and smother with love.

Thanks in advance, everyone! I've been lurking here for a long time, and this is a remarkable community.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

Second question- because my budget is so tight, I'm interested in a machine that needs work. Even a full restoration doesn't scare me. I'm experienced with things mechanical and electronic, and working on pins sounds like as much fun as playing them to me. The listings you see are mostly for shopped or fully restored machines (and priced accordingly). Any tips for finding a run-down one in need of rescuing?

The thing with Johnny Mnemonic is that they're generally not in need of too much work besides having faded cabinets. The playfields are usually good even on routed ones, the plastics, with one exception, are usually intact, and the glove only needs a couple new parts to make it work well. So the difference between a fixer-upper JM and a restored one might only be $200-$500.

The playable difference between a dialed in one and a beater on route is no doubt huge though. Hope you find a nice one to play! There are many owners here who will vouch for it being a great machine.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

The thing with Johnny Mnemonic is that they're generally not in need of too much work besides having faded cabinets. The playfields are usually good even on routed ones, the plastics, with one exception, are usually intact, and the glove only needs a couple new parts to make it work well. So the difference between a fixer-upper JM and a restored one might only be $200-$500.
The playable difference between a dialed in one and a beater on route is no doubt huge though. Hope you find a nice one to play!

True....also what is your budget, because if it's sub 1500 then you will need a Christmas miracle to get one...GL either way. I love my JM.

#4 10 years ago

Finding a 100% working JM on location will be really tough. The hand breaks down and then the game is unplayable. This is one of the reasons JM playfields usually are very nice. JM is easily one of the best values in pinball.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

The playable difference between a dialed in one and a beater on route is no doubt huge though. Hope you find a nice one to play! There are many owners here who will vouch for it being a great machine.

That's good information, thanks! If I can find an operator or someone to sell me a broken old one, it's good to know the lower range of fair prices. I realize the going rate for a good one is ~2k, and I'm open to that if I can't do any better. But for that price, I'd need one where everything works, and preferably with side art that is at least still orange. The yellow end-state of fade looks so awful. I realize that's a lot to ask for this machine though. It also depends on distance- if it's far away, it's going to need to be cheaper.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

Finding a 100% working JM on location will be really tough. The hand breaks down and then the game is unplayable. This is one of the reasons JM playfields usually are very nice. JM is easily one of the best values in pinball.

Yah, so I'm learning. I'm astonished at the poor state of repair of some locations. One of the JMs has no sound, no GI, weak flippers (and one sticky), the hand is dead, the rubbers are disintegrating, a couple of the modes won't start, and it's astonishingly filthy. It's really sad to see any machine rotting like that.

#7 10 years ago

You should post your location so people in your area who have one might contact you.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

You should post your location so people in your area who have one might contact you.

Done!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

Yah, so I'm learning. I'm astonished at the poor state of repair of some locations. One of the JMs has no sound, no GI, weak flippers (and one sticky), the hand is dead, the rubbers are disintegrating, a couple of the modes won't start, and it's astonishingly filthy. It's really sad to see any machine rotting like that.

find out who the op is and see if they will sell it. you never know...

#10 10 years ago

JM is a really fun machine weighed down by a crappy theme... the theme doesn't bother me, but it undoubtedly has held this machine down in the $1900-$2300 range for collectors. That's good news for you!

Based on your comments, it seems like you're likely to enjoy the game...and, you are right, it's impossible to play the game if the table is in bad shape.

Why not contact the ops of the two tables on location in LA and make them a bold offer? You might just get lucky.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Why not contact the ops of the two tables on location in LA and make them a bold offer? You might just get lucky.

My thought as well. I'm attempting to get a hold of the owner of one of them. The best candidate is owned by a bar (no operator in the loop), but he's proving elusive to get a hold of. Interestingly, the bartender told me the owner has "a storage facility with a bunch more pinball machines in it". Who knows what this guy might have gathering dust...

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

My thought as well. I'm attempting to get a hold of the owner of one of them. The best candidate is owned by a bar (no operator in the loop), but he's proving elusive to get a hold of. Interestingly, the bartender told me the owner has "a storage facility with a bunch more pinball machines in it". Who knows what this guy might have gathering dust...

If you have the cash, buy a few to get a good deal and sell what you don't want

#13 10 years ago

I have mine on route up in the Seattle area. So far (1 month) it has been flawless.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 29.00
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seeking-johnny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.