(Topic ID: 318595)

Seeking ideas: tournament structure for non pinheads

By Riefepeters

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AC5B149E-9602-448F-8FF1-EDA32E87A4B5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alveolus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 1 year ago

The more casual the format, the better, IMO. People can be turned off by competition. A team concept is helpful in that regard so I concur with the split-flipper suggestion. Also, it cuts the wait time by half which will also keep people engaged.

Another thing you could try that is casual and a bit goofy would be to have a gauntlet relay. Pick some very simple/easy objectives (<30 seconds or so to achieve) on several machines and have your teams run the gauntlet and tag their teammate(s). Fastest time to completion wins.

For single player competition you could mix in some stall ball. It is simple and frenetic but has the disadvantage of more waiting and elimination.

If you decide to do pin-golf make sure the objectives are VERY EASY. People always seem to underestimate difficulty with pin-golf objectives.

Whatever you decide, report back and let us know how it went!

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

I’m going for the same spirit of a scramble in golf. Lots of people would never play golf. But you throw them into a scramble as a company outing and it’s a blast and a half. Same concept here. My employees would not walk into a barcode and play pinball. But I’m fairly confident that a pin golf tourney as one component of a company outting will be a blast and enjoyed.
    I really appreciate all the ideas circulating. Some of these other ideas are going to work well with some of my buddies - most of whom think that the sole purpose of pinball is to not let the ball drain. I feel like most people walk away after a quick game because they have no idea what’s really going on…and the ball drained.
    I appreciate everyone’s ideas creating some fun events around the pins!

Teams of two. You could do alternate shot or split flipper. I agree with using very easy rule-based objectives rather than score based as chuckwurt stated.

#40 1 year ago

Let us know your lineup and we can make objective recommendations.

#43 1 year ago

C2c has a lot of good suggestions but some of them will be too hard.

I would definitely try to incorporate the game’s main feature int the objective. Maybe for some you could adjust the settings to make them easier such as lowering the number of Frank Hits to open the ramp.

Definitely include:
    achieve a mag a flip on TZ
    Use the glove on JM
    Achieve Thing flip on TAF

Access upper playfield on TS
    Access mini playfield on MANDO

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alveolus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seeking-ideas-tournament-structure-for-non-pinheads?tu=alveolus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.