(Topic ID: 318539)

prototype Sea Avenger pinball? (~1976, Meadows Games)

By cait001

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Sea Avenger in Game Machine - 1977-02-15.jpg
    Sea Avenger in Play Meter - 1976-11 crop.jpg
    Sea Avenger in Play Meter - 1976-11.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Does anyone have more information on Sea Avenger by Meadows Games, circa 1976?

EDIT: I have put my findings into a blog post here: http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-mystery-of-sea-avenger-pinball.html

I spotted a backglass spotted in the Japanese trade magazine Game Machine - 1977-02-15
    Sea Avenger in Game Machine - 1977-02-15.jpgSea Avenger in Game Machine - 1977-02-15.jpg
    (seems to be a composite photo)

That photo is from a Japanese trade show, but I can't find any further information in regards to this machine.
    I confirmed that Meadows Games had brought their Sea Avenger and the Atarians to the trade show. (see replies)

Advertisement in Play Meter Nov 1976 lists it as an upcoming game but doesn't have much.

crop:
    Sea Avenger in Play Meter - 1976-11 crop.jpgSea Avenger in Play Meter - 1976-11 crop.jpg

full ad:
    Sea Avenger in Play Meter - 1976-11.jpgSea Avenger in Play Meter - 1976-11.jpg

Meadows Games, Inc
    181 Commercial St, Sunnyvale, CA
    (800) 538-1515

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Something looks strange and out of proportion in that back glass pic. from the magazine. Game looks larger by comparison and head looks thin.

I think it's a composite photo. The Atarian machine + guy are a different photo than the Sea Avenger one. Someone went to great effort with an exacto blade for that effect in 1977!

(added that note to the original post)

#7 1 year ago

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8652
    imagine how many cigarettes would have been extinguished in those joystick chassis...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Class = one off or hoax ???

I guess the editor didn't find any more information than Play Meter, and thought the text was cheeky... Definitely not a hoax now that I found an appearance in Japan.

#8 1 year ago

my friend tweakbod sent me a link to mentions in Cash Box magazine, 1977-01-29.

Lila Zinter brought Atarians and Sea Avenger to the ATE show. That is also confirmed in Game Machine, now that we got an earlier article translated.

https://archive.org/details/cashbox38unse_35/page/54/mode/2up?q=%22Sea+Avenger%22

#9 1 year ago

another mention: Cash Box 1976-11-13

might be time to dig for photos of the subsequent tradeshows in Chicago and New Orleans.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

"never needs repair because it's a solid state"

We had such hope for the future... so naive

#12 1 year ago

more on Sea Avenger from the Japanese press... Including a description! Sea Avenger seems to have a LEFT-RIGHT TILTING PLAYFIELD, activated by a button on the front?
    We had Gottlieb's Challenger in 1971, Allied Leisure gaves us two looser-playfield shaker games in 1973, but a left-right playfield tilt button would have to be the craziest idea to engineer.

machine translation prepared by friend:

Game Machine No. 68 – Feb. 15, 1977 (page 2)

Japanese and U.S. Industries Making Great Strides
    New Flippers in the Spotlight
    ATARIANS & SEA AVENGER

Atari's Atarians and Meadows' Sea Avenger attracted particular attention in this ATE, as neither of them had attempted a flipper until now. The first machine is an IC flipper from the U.S. TV game machine manufacturer, and this machine attracted attention for its ambitious entry into the flipper market, which was gaining momentum on the back of its strength in TV games.

The main features of Atarians are first, that there is no score display etc. on the backglass, rather all scores are displayed digitally in front of the field, and second, the area of the play field is now much larger than in the past, both vertically and horizontally. The content of the game incorporates many aspects of the flippers, but the feedback we received was that the level of perfection is not good enough.

Sea Avenger, on the other hand, is significantly different from the conventional flipper, with the playfield tilting to the left and right. In addition to the flipper buttons, this feature is activated by pressing a button on the front, which allows a ball on the right to be brought to the left by tilting.

It was unveiled at this ATE as the first machine with its own ingenuity, and it will be interesting to see how it develops in the future.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from play_pinball:

A bit later but Peyper's 1987 Wolf Man had an "El Movimiento" feature where you could move the playfield with knobs located on the side of the cabinet. https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4435
    It's a shame the only video online of an actual game doesn't have them using that feature.

Thank you, added that to the blog post.

3 weeks later
    #19 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Lila Zinter brought Atarians and Sea Avenger to the ATE show. That is also confirmed in Game Machine, now that we got an earlier article translated.

It says here that Lila Zinter changes jobs from Meadows to Exidy "last month", in case we ever need to pinpoint when she left. So around October 1978.

1978-11-01:

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sea-avenger-pinball-1976-meadows?tu=cait001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.