Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Back side of Advance Unit (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
small q tips (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 months ago

I have read quite a few posts on this but still haven’t figured it out.
I have a 1973 Williams triple action. The score motor keeps running at startup. I have cleaned the entire machine including all stepper units and score reels etc. and all contacts. When I remove the john plugs to the playfield the motor will stop so I figure it’s a stuck switch. I went back and cleaned all contacts and checked every switch and coil. Still runs. So this is what I know:
When a ball is in the drain and i power on, the score motor will run continuously. When a ball is not drained and I power on it will run a rotation and get set. Then if I hit the start button everything resets, the reset relay is stuck in power on and the motor runs continuously. Then if I manually pull the reset relay to deenergize, the game is functioning but score motor still turns continuously. Also, when I had the playfield completely removed, the score motor functioned properly but then again a lot of stuff was disconnected.
So, is there something besides a playfield switch I should be looking at (I believe I cleaned and set them allgood enough), or can the reset coil or ball drain cause the motor to run. Or am I looking at tracking wires to look for a break. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

#2 4 months ago
Quoted from Billsblues:

1973 Williams triple action. The score motor keeps running

One or more of these switches/relays is keeping it running. Which one(s)?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 4 months ago

If you have not already done so I would get a copy of start up sequence and follow it step by step and see where it stops, I would think issue is with the drain circuit & reset coil, those will be part of the start up sequence and less likely something on the playfield, just my humble option, others much more knowledgeable than I likely will comment.

#4 4 months ago

check the reset signal going thru the score reels ....id be willing to bet one of them is open the signal goes thru each wheel at the 0 position to make sure the score reels are reset if it does not make it thru the score motor will keep running

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

One or more of these switches/relays is keeping it running. Which one(s)?
[quoted image]

This. You most likely have a closed switch, that should normally be open, in one of the circuits that can provide power to the score motor.

Check the switches in these circuits. Test each one (that's supposed to be open) by inserting a piece of paper between its contacts while the score motor is running. If it stops, you'll have found the culprit.

#6 4 months ago

I would also consider checking the switch on the score motor that keeps it energized. Maybe it is bent into a closed position so it never turns off. Maybe something metal or a piece of solder has fallen on it and is making a short. Maybe some wires on the blades have lost their insulation and are touching the wire to the score motor switch.

There's a circuit on the schematic for the game that shows what switches have to close to energize the score motor, so start with the one on the score motor,, and then move back from there to check which switch is keeping it going.

#7 4 months ago

Manual and schematic can be found here. Unfortunately the start up sequence is not in this manual.

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Triple+action&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2648

#8 4 months ago
Quoted from emguy:

I would also consider checking the switch on the score motor that keeps it energized.

Yes, it looks like the Score Motor's run-out switch is a make/break.
So the score reels are zeroing out.
Is the Reset Relay remaining energized?

#9 4 months ago

I think it is trying to reset bonus unit. Check that the unit goes to zero position, and switch(es) operate correctly.

#10 4 months ago

Thanks for all the replies. I will work on it today and see what I come up with. I’ll start with the score motor itself then the score wheels and bonus unit plus the other relays. Thanks

#11 4 months ago

Cleaned the score motor contacts again and made a few adjustments. No change. Started on the relays and I noticed that the bonus relay was staying energized. Hadn’t noticed that before. Will try to figure that out

#12 4 months ago

So i set the bonus to zero and the coil is not energizing which is good but the outhole relay is now continuously firing (which is good because it never did before) and score motor still turning. But I don’t know what to do about the outhole relay because there is no stepper unit to reset like the bonus. So I guess chicken and the egg. Is the score motor making the outhole coil fire or is the outhole making score motor fire

#13 4 months ago

Are the contacts on the outhole switch gapped properly, should be open with no ball in the outhole.

If a pin has that gooey carbon build up a little Simple Green and these very fine "q-tips" do a great job of getting in between the contacts without deforming the blades. Quick and easy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLQW563

small q tips (resized).jpgsmall q tips (resized).jpg
#14 4 months ago

Ok. So the outhole relay is being fired by the score motor. So getting closer but still need to stop motor

#15 4 months ago

Target relay will fire and reset. Reset relay will fire and reset. Outhole relay will fire, reset, fire, reset etc as score motor keeps turning

#16 4 months ago

Have you checked all the normally open switches shown in the score motor circuits on the schematic per prior posts?

#17 4 months ago

A new culprit. Now I noticed the double relay is staying energized. Same bank as the bonus relay. Getting closer im sure but taking a break to chop wood

#18 4 months ago
Quoted from Billsblues:

the double relay is staying energized

Did you mean to say the Double Bonus relay?

#19 4 months ago

It just says double relay. There’s a bank of five: bonus relay, triple relay double relay advance relay and spinner relay

#20 4 months ago

This is what I am concentrating on. The advance unit which I believe is the same as bonus. I’ve cleaned it but will clean it again

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#21 4 months ago

Ok. I finally got to play part of a game.
So, when i start a game everything resets but the bonus relay is stuck on. I manually set the advance spinner to zero and the bonus relay goes off.
When that goes off, either the double (bonus) or triple (bonus) relay will energize and the outhole relay triggers continuously. Then if I manually advance the advance spinner one click, the outhole relay shuts off and i am able to play the ball. It is still stuck in double or triple bonus but everything works as it’s supposed to including the score motor. That’s about all the time I have for it today. Thanks for any input.

#22 4 months ago

I should add that if the ball drains I can play another if I lift open the top and manually mess with the advance unit again.

#23 4 months ago

This is how it sits now:
I start a game, motor runs continuously and outhole fires continuously until I advance the advance (bonus) unit one step. Then it stops and is set up for play. I can play a ball until it drains then the score motor runs and outhole fires until I manually advance the bonus one step. I can repeat this for a whole game each time lifting the top up and advancing bonus one step. When it drains last ball it stops. So I at least played a whole game.

#24 4 months ago
Quoted from Billsblues:

This is how it sits now:
I start a game, motor runs continuously and outhole fires continuously until I advance the advance (bonus) unit one step. Then it stops and is set up for play. I can play a ball until it drains then the score motor runs and outhole fires until I manually advance the bonus one step. I can repeat this for a whole game each time lifting the top up and advancing bonus one step. When it drains last ball it stops. So I at least played a whole game.

According to the manual, the advance unit should advance one step once it has reset, this happens via motor switch 3A and a switch on the outhole relay, check to see if this is happening, if not, check these switches.

#25 4 months ago

Thanks. I will check those out. It may also have something to do with the triple relay being stuck on.
How is the score motor numbered. How do I find 3a. I would guess left to right, down to up but not sure.

#26 4 months ago
Quoted from Billsblues:

How is the score motor numbered

The score motor diagram is on the schematic at the bottom right.
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2648/Williams_1974_Triple_Action_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#27 4 months ago

It looks like it wants to fire, kind of a weak intermittent pulse of the coil. So im thinking a bad coil.

#28 4 months ago

I cleaned and adjusted 3a and cleaned the outhole relay. I cleaned the sleeve on the coil. Everything moves smoothly and I can see the coil move slightly so it is trying to fire. I’ve heard of a 9v battery test for a coil. Is that a thing or should I just order a coil. Thanks

#29 4 months ago

You can desolder the leads to the coil and ohm it out if you have a multimeter.

Is the coil wrapper burned or charred looking?

#30 4 months ago

It is not charred or burned. I didn’t desolder it but I checked and got 2.2 ohms. Do I need to desolder it to get an accurate reading

#31 4 months ago

FWIW: unless there are visible signs of the coil having overheated (charred paper wrap, melted plastic, etc.) or the soldered connections are broken, coils typically don't go bad.

Good luck!

#32 4 months ago

I found a chart at flippers.com that says a A22-550 should be 2.3 ohms. So not the coil. But i can see the coil physically move just a little bit when the outhole relay fires. Like a vibration. I can feel a pulse if i put my finger on the plunger but it won’t fire.

#33 4 months ago
Quoted from Billsblues:

It looks like it wants to fire, kind of a weak intermittent pulse of the coil. So im thinking a bad coil.

If you step the bonus unit up once manually, a game can be played
and when hitting a bonus target, it steps up properly, right?
I don't have the schematics, but it seems there would also be a set
of contacts that would make (close) at the bonus unit when it's totally
reset to let the machine know it's totally reset set, and time to make
one step up..

#35 4 months ago

That makes sense. There are two coils, one to advance the bonus and one to take it back to zero (reset). So on the reset coil, once it gets back to zero, one of the blades should open or close telling the machine it’s at zero and should fire the other coil to advance one step. I will check that out.
That doesn’t explain why the coil is trying to fire and is just vibrating. Or does it. Is it possible for a coil to be getting a little juice and not enough to completely fire or is it all or nothing.
I should probably start a new thread since the motor running problem was solved.

#36 4 months ago
Quoted from Billsblues:

That makes sense. There are two coils, one to advance the bonus and one to take it back to zero (reset). So on the reset coil, once it gets back to zero, one of the blades should open or close telling the machine it’s at zero and should fire the other coil to advance one step. I will check that out.
That doesn’t explain why the coil is trying to fire and is just vibrating. Or does it. Is it possible for a coil to be getting a little juice and not enough to completely fire or is it all or nothing.
I should probably start a new thread since the motor running problem was solved.

Your stepper unit has two coils, one large one that steps against the large spring wrapped around the shaft of the sproket and a small coil that works with the tension of that spring. The large coil is usally stepping up (against the spring) the and the small coil stepping down (with the spring).

If stepper units are dirty or the old grease has become sticky they won't function properly. To overcome this most people just wrap another wind or two of the large spring on the sprocket shaft.

That assembly when operating properly should have enough spring tension to return to home or zero position. You could give your spring another wrap or two see if that is the issue.
Back side of Advance Unit (resized).JPGBack side of Advance Unit (resized).JPG

#37 4 months ago

It returns to zero fine, it should then step up one click to start the game. I checked and there are no blades on the small reset coil so there must be a way it tells the machine it reaches zero. But you did give me an idea. If I remove the armature(?) so the coil is firing with no resistance it should tell me if it’s the coil or the stepper unit. I still think it’s the coil not getting enough of a jolt to fire it. Thanks

#38 4 months ago

The wiper arm aligned correctly to the tabs?

You can load photos up to this site directly from your phone, no hosting site required.

#39 4 months ago
Quoted from Billsblues:

there must be a way it tells the machine it reaches zero.

There's a make/break set of switches on the Advance Unit. When the Advance Unit is "Not" in the
zero position, the side of the make/break that is now made goes to the Bonus Relay's circuitry.
When the Advance Unit is in the zero position, the 2 switches that are now made (closed) goes
to the Outhole Relay's circuitry. When the Advance Unit's is in the zero position, the Outhole Relay
should energize, and when energized, the closed side of a make/break set of switches in the Outhole
Relay completes the circuit to the Score Motor's 3A set of switches which energizes the Advance Unit's
step up coil which will give the Advance Unit that one step up that we're looking for..
So first, check if the Outhole Relay energizes when the Advance Unit is at the zero position (I'm thinking
it is), and if so, check the make/break switches in the Outhole Relay, then also the Score Motors 3A set
of switches. Maybe the Outhole's make/break, but I'm thinking the issue might be the Score Motor's 3A
set of switches that may be either dirty, not making 100% contact, or both..

#40 4 months ago

Thanks for the detailed response. I cleaned the outhole and 3a switches but I will revisit them hopefully today and pay more attention. Thanks

#41 4 months ago

Okay, and you'll want to make certain the Outhole Relay is energizing when the Advance Unit
is at zero. If it isn't, then you'll want to check the Advance Unit's make/break switches..

#42 4 months ago

Well. I tied a piece of string on the armature and just have to give it a little tug after each ball but otherwise I got to play ten games.
I have to trigger the score reset relay a few times and she’s stuck in triple bonus mode but for $300 bucks and a set of rubbers I don’t care. I’ll work on rollovers and pop bumpers for now.
Thanks for the advice and this post is closed as far as I’m concerned. Score motor won’t stop running because bonus unit won’t advance one click at startup. Thanks everyone.

#43 4 months ago

On the mechanical board to playfield jones plugs , find the grey-yellow wire. Clean jones plug connectors and inspect wire connections.

#44 4 months ago

I got it to work. First i had to learn to read a schematic. The biggest thing that I never noticed before was a missing switch spacer, the little piece of plastic in between the switches. I fabricated something to fit in there and most of the problems went away. Then I was able to trace and tweak the other problems like a couple switches that were not working that I missed the first time.

#45 4 months ago

I got it to work. First I learned to read a schematic. The biggest problem was a missing switch spacer, the little piece of plastic in between the switches, on the index of the score motor. I fabricated something to fit in there then was able to trace the other problems. There were two switches on the score motor not working that I missed the first time around.

#46 4 months ago

When very small details like this occur they can be a pain in the ass to chase down. Good to see you found it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-motor-wont-stop-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.