(Topic ID: 209005)

Scared stiff diverter stuck closed, not mechanical, help!

By Djshakes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Djshakes
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180203_065825 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Having some issues. I'll post here before making a thread. My diverter won't stay open when in lock mode. It's as if there isn't enough power to hold it. Coil looks good. I did order a new coil plunger but I doubt thats it. It works for the first ball but once the game is going stops working. Mechanically it operates freely with game off. The crate post hold works fine. I read someone fixed be replacing the ribbon cable from the mpu to the power board or someone else fixed by reseating the asic chip which seems strange. If in lock mode and the ball drains, the diverter will quickly lock open for a couple seconds, then close. Once the next ball kicks out it will open as it should but then close as if there's not enough power to keep open. I don't have a replacement coil to swap but I don't think that is it. Take a look at this ribbon cable. What is the heavy weight attached to it? Any advice would be great.

20180203_065825 (resized).jpg20180203_065825 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I think it might be my coil. I would be forever in debt is someone could test theirs to compare to mine. My outside lug is measuring .2 ohms. Im pretty sure that means it is bad. Im assuming that is the hold power. Im praying this is it.

I can feel it pulse in test mode but not enough strength to move diverter. Im getting 29 ohms at center lug, .2 at outside. Im really thinkimg this is it. I ordered a new one. I have a spare medium strength flipper coil I could throw in but don't know if that will hurt the game?

Coil number a-20099.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

My outside lug is measuring .2 ohms.

.2 ohms would certainly blow a fuse, but .2k ohms would be correct

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

.2 ohms would certainly blow a fuse, but .2k ohms would be correct

So are you saying the coil is okay? It seems all my other coils don't give a measurement that low. Really hoping this is my issue.

I just realized TOM has the same coil. I'll measure it when I get home.

#5 6 years ago

The hold on your coil is okay, at least. How is the spring on your diverter? Sometimes they get into a weird position or break and don't work correctly.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

The hold on your coil is okay, at least. How is the spring on your diverter? Sometimes they get into a weird position or break and don't work correctly.

Damn, I was really hoping that was it. I watched a couple videos on coil testing and it states that if the ohms were low like mine the coil is bad.

The spring is missing and someone used a piece of wire. I ordered a new plunger for it but this shouldn't be the problem. The mechanism works fine. It snaps open but the hold doesn't work. It's a power issue.

#7 6 years ago

Well, you also say that it works fine for the first ball, right? So it wouldn't be bad. The next place to look is the transistor on your power driver board. It's Q86. Do you know how to measure transistors?

Edit: I'd like to point out that the coil is fine if the measurement is .2k, not if the measurement is .2 ohms. But as said, .2 ohms would probably blow a fuse.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8 6 years ago

Well, you also say that it works fine for the first ball, right? So it wouldn't be bad. The next place to look is the transistor on your power driver board. It's Q86. Do you know how to measure transistors?

I don't. I saw this link but seems like a lot of different ways to test. It's a TIP 102 correct?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-a-transistor

I can order these. I believe they are the ones.

ebay.com link: 2pcs MOSPEC TIP102 TRANSISTORS TO 220 AMPLIFIER POWER SUPPLY DIY ELECTRONIC PART

#9 6 years ago

Yeah, but hold your horses. Let me clarify the situation: Is the diverter only working when you play the first ball of the game, or when the first ball goes into lock?

#10 6 years ago

Yeah, but hold your horses. Let me clarify the situation: Is the diverter only working when you play the first ball of the game, or when the first ball goes into lock?

Turn on game, shoot the boney ramp to initiate lock. Diverter opens but then closes half way after about two seconds. As the ball continues to bang around and as flippers, slings, etc. fire the diverter inches shut and it isn't long before it is closed. It's as if there isn't enough power to hold it open and the other coils are robbing power from it. If you drain the ball it will sometimes snap open as the machine isn't using much power as nothing is happening. Then it shuts as soon as you launch the next ball. It's as if there is not enough power to hold it open.

It is also creating a credit dot. "Diverter stuck closed" is the error message.

The crate hold post works fine. All other coils and flippers and lights work fine.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

So are you saying the coil is okay? It seems all my other coils don't give a measurement that low.

All I'm saying is I think you may have mis-measured the coil, I have no idea what you are using to make this measurement but if you are using an auto ranging meter it may have changed ranges and its very easy to miss the little k in the reading.

For reference on a .2 ohm resistance ... meter leads alone can read .2 ohms when connected togather.

Someone check my math, but a .2 ohm coil at 50V would attempt to pull 250A as I=V/R

#12 6 years ago

I try to avoid buying components off ebay unless there is no alternative...

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/TIP102?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvAvBNgSS9LqqWlVvPGXJsr

at the most, these are $0.64 each.

#13 6 years ago

Thank you pin_guy, you are always very helpful and knowledgeable. I will measure again tonight and perhaps I did miss the K. I see my new plunger came in the mail so I will install that to rule out as well. Coil should be here soon, although that might not be the issue. I ordered some TIP 102 which will be here Friday. If none of these solve it I will really be confused. I'll get some pics tonight. I will also measure the coil on my TOM to see if it registers the same.

#14 6 years ago

Well guys, im an idiot. New plunger came today, installed and it works like a champ. Maybe the wire hack they had didn't allow the plunger to go all the way in the coil creating a strong enough grip for coil? Either way, im stoked. Thanks all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 249.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.50
£ 37.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lower Burrell, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-diverter-stuck-closed-not-mechanical-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.