Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 183 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ddebuss
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 1 (resized).JPG
    photo 2 (resized).JPG
    photo 3 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD Etching_instructions_v2.pdf (PDF preview)
    Capture2_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    Resized_20160710_162155_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    20160719_085943_(resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #102 7 years ago

I was over there last night and it's like a clock factory. These things are amazing! You really don't "Get it" until you see it in person. And another thing, don't put it in the same room as a TV; you'll miss most of your show looking at the clock.

#103 7 years ago

Testing on a new improvement begins tomorrow night. I ordered something well over a month ago that I didn't expect for a few more weeks so I didn't think I would be able to incorporate... Got home from several out of town meetings today and a nice long package of goodness had arrived. I'll let you all know what it is when I prove it out in testing.

#104 7 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

it's like a clock factory.

I can't wait to get my gameroom back. This little project has morphed into a second job. I so love these things though. I've considered doing a full wall of them...

Lots of process evolution and improvements as I've developed production and packaging. I know i'm just a bit behind schedule and I appreciate everyone's patience as I get these out without loosing my day job. I'm determined to get a bunch of these ready for delivery by the end of the weekend. Meanwhile I've had some other cool things in the works...

#105 7 years ago

Update for 6/26/2016
    I'm behind schedule at this point and I'm not happy about it. I again ask for your patience. As it turned out last week I didn't have the personal time to work on this at night during the week due to commitments for my day job and some other personal stuff. I continue to make steady progress for mass shipping.
    - 18x panel sets assembled and tested and ready to go.
    - 20x power bricks ready to go.
    - 19x Run-DMD boards ready to go.
    - 20x power extensions ready to go. All are approximately 10'.
    - Working on ordering another batch of acrylic. The gray tint stuff is out of stuck so I'm working through my options.
    - Working on a better way to finish the edges.
    - 18x MORE panels on order
    - Package almost final. I've figured out how to protect the electronics. I'm 99% sure I've figured out the acrylic.
    - LED Edge lighting electronics as well as most of the custom hardware including lots of soldering and testing.
    - Stencils for package 4's and 5's are complete.
    - Even Large outer shipping boxes have arrived.
    - Most of the work on the "Enhancement" is done. I will show it off in the next couple days.

Next to-dos
    - The actual etching has not due to the high outdoor temperatures since it requires several hours outdoors with a respirator.
    - Need to put together lots of hardware kits.
    - LED Edge lighting hardware needs a little more work and is almost completed.
    - A few more front and back panels need to be finished.
    - Complete assembly instructions. These may or may not be printed and in the box. I'd rather get the displays on a truck headed your way rather than wait to ship for instructions to be completely ready. I can work on instructions while they are in transit.

Shipping:
    - I'm almost ready to ship but I need to be sure that every detail is covered and this thing will be bulletproof. There's a chance that "some" of them will go out tomorrow...

#106 7 years ago

Figured I'd show a pictures of the ready etching stencils.

20160626_204814_(resized).jpg20160626_204814_(resized).jpg

#107 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Figured I'd show a pictures of the ready etching stencils.

WOO-HOO....I see mine there !!

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_erie:

WOO-HOO....I see mine there !!

Me too! Can't wait!

#109 7 years ago

Working on them now. Several going out this weekend.

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Working on them now. Several going out this weekend.

Does mine happen to be in the "several" category? CAN"T WAIT FOR THIS !!!

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_erie:

Does mine happen to be in the "several" category? CAN"T WAIT FOR THIS !!!

Sorry, not yet. Everything is taking way longer than anticipated. I spent almost the entire holiday weekend working on this project. I have a hard time with "good enough"... There are 6 complete units with 4 getting picked up today for shipping so that's great progress. Fortunately I'm doing everything for larger volumes so consistently repeatable. My next focus is the actual etching. I realized I had to finish all the edges on the etched panels before I could etch so I did that on Saturday

The sanding the edges of the acrylic sucks. I checked on laser cutting but it's 5x the cost for the panels. I'm pursuing other options for any potential future runs. Alternatively they may ship with unfinished edges or with a "finishing fee."

I got another set of panels in and they aren't "right". I haven't chased it down since I have 20 sets already done and I want to get these out first.

#112 7 years ago

I appreciate all of your hard work on this. I'm really looking forward to getting my own but appreciate the fact that you're a perfectionist.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:Sorry, not yet. Everything is taking way longer than anticipated. I spent almost the entire holiday weekend working on this project. I have a hard time with "good enough"... There are 6 complete units with 4 getting picked up today for shipping so that's great progress. Fortunately I'm doing everything for larger volumes so consistently repeatable. My next focus is the actual etching. I realized I had to finish all the edges on the etched panels before I could etch so I did that on Saturday
    The sanding the edges of the acrylic sucks. I checked on laser cutting but it's 5x the cost for the panels. I'm pursuing other options for any potential future runs. Alternatively they may ship with unfinished edges or with a "finishing fee."
    I got another set of panels in and they aren't "right". I haven't chased it down since I have 20 sets already done and I want to get these out first.

No worries at all man, I appreciate all the hard work and detail you are putting in to these. The world won't stop spinning if these take a while

#114 7 years ago

I am very excited as well. but sad that you didn't get to enjoy the holiday weekend. don't forget to take time for you!!

#115 7 years ago

Quick update. 4 ready for pickup. Not sure why they didn't pickup today though. The big box has 2 in it.
    Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I still have a problem of not watching the burning in units as I'm building...

Since I'm so far behind I want to get ahead it it and close the gap. I figure in at least 3 weeks behind. I'm learning how to do this. Almost to the poont where its cookie cutterish aside from finishing the acrylic. The next batch if there is one will forward faster and I will have units ready to ship before I announce. j_m_ is a smart guy. That's how he does it

20160705_202423_(resized).jpg20160705_202423_(resized).jpg

#116 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

The next batch if there is one will forward faster and I will have units ready to ship before I announce.

Is there a list we can jump on in case we miss the announcement thread, provided you decide to do another run?

#117 7 years ago

just a quick question, those that are shipping out, do you send the person a PM or something? just curious so I know when to watch for mine. thank you!!

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

just a quick question, those that are shipping out, do you send the person a PM or something? just curious so I know when to watch for mine. thank you!!

I received an email with tracking number for my shipment

#119 7 years ago

Got my clock in today which was wrapped well enough to take a nuclear bomb attack. Take me a bit to get it all assembled but the end result was well worth the wait. Great job Dan and for the ones who are waiting.... You be will stoked to get this thing and it is well worth the wait

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

just a quick question, those that are shipping out, do you send the person a PM or something?

I will PM you if I don't have the email address, shipping address, or full payment when it's ready to go out. Thank you for your patience. I'm in sales closing out my fiscal year so my day job is crazy. Having said that I hope to get 3 or 4 more out this weekend.

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Is there a list we can jump on in case we miss the announcement thread, provided you decide to do another run?

Add yourself to the bottom of this list. I am not committing any new names or the prices for the next run at this point. I'm going to go as far as I can through this list before before making that decision. It's still unclear whether I will do more of these. Even with process worked out and efficiency optimized each of these guys take a lot of time.

2. Bob Roy, Package 4, Pickup, etching --(top Line small font) Welcome to (Bottom line, large font) Bob's Game Room
    4. Profgrif, Package 3, US delivery, Etching: ?
    5. C2Motorsports, Package 4, US delivery, Etching: 9Pounds Arcade
    6. Bsquared, Package 1, Canada delivery, No etching
    7. fxdwg, Package 3, US delivery, No etching
    8. HappyDayz, Package 4, US delivery, Etching: The Silver Ball Arcade (with "The" in smaller size font like proto), Longer cord (7 ft?)
    10. Pinballpal, Package 1, US delivery, No etching
    11. Kevin G, Package 4, Pickup, Etching: K & K Arcade
    12. Mike L (McSirTuna), Package 4, US delivery, Etching: Pinball Game Room, Longer power cable (8-10'?)
    13. Pinball_erie, Package 4, US delivery, Etching: The Conrad Arcade, longer cord
    14. 2Kaulitz Package 1 US Delivery, Longer cord
    15. Player1, Package 3, Pickup, No etching, Longer cord
    16. TheRave, Package 1, US delivery, Etching: Westerly Pinball Parlor
    17. JimB, Package 3, US delivery, No etching
    18. BradKreisler, Package 4, US Delivery to 62269, Etch "The Kreisler Barcade" (with "The" in smaller size font like proto) long power cord.
    19. Drumasauras, Package 3, US delivery, No etching, Longer cord
    20. Kingpin 22,package 1, pickup, no etching, rear panel Opaque with remote if possible
    21. Jorge5240 if some one drops out, Package 3, US delivery, no etching, longer cord
    22. brokentoken, Package 2, SFGE Pickup or US delivery, Etching: (graphic file sent to you), longer cord
    23. Kermit, Package 2, SFGE Pickup
    24. Pinballlew, Package 4, US delivery, Etching: (Still deciding will update soon), longer cord.
    25. NeilMcRae, Package 4, INT Delivery to UK, Etching: DOMINO.ORG BARCADE: Font ICBM, longer cord
    27. Parabol420, package 3, longer cord, delivery in US

#122 7 years ago
    Quoted from J_Striker:

Great job Dan and for the ones who are waiting.... You be will stoked to get this thing and it is well worth the wait

Thank you J_Striker!

Note in his pictures you are getting the first glimpse of the special parts I hinted at in an earlier post. The original plan was to have the edges "open" as most of the Run-DMD's have been. in this case you can see that J_Striker's edges are covered by a black plastic so you can't see "inside" the display. This is my prototype for an upgrade to the original design. It adds almost $25 to the material parts BOM that was not accounted for when designing these. It also set me behind schedule by at least a week while I figured out how to consistently cut and drill. Even more importantly it takes 6 weeks to show up and I only have enough to do a couple since I didn't know if it would work out and the material was far from cheap. In the coming days I will be deciding how I will handle this upgrade... I really can't wait 6 weeks to get all of these guys out.

#123 7 years ago

Quick question as I anticipate when the clock may arrive. I'm having trouble finding something posted in regards to where to get the animations to load on the SD card. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks

The clocks look AWESOME! Can't wait for mine

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from McSirTuna:

I'm having trouble finding something posted in regards to where to get the animations to load on the SD card.

I will provide clear instructions on the process with the unit.

#125 7 years ago

Quick update
    2 units picked up today
    8 panels etched
    Documentation materially complete
    I'm going to wait until I get back in town this weekend to double check the etching. This also means I won't make any progress until next Saturday since I'm traveling for work.

20160710_200327_(resized).jpg20160710_200327_(resized).jpg
    20160710_203736_(resized).jpg20160710_203736_(resized).jpg
    20160710_215943_(resized).jpg20160710_215943_(resized).jpg

#126 7 years ago

look awesome!

#127 7 years ago

7/16/2016 Update
    This weekend I will be focused on getting shipped all displays that are fully paid starting with the order that full payment was made. There will be an emphasis on the etched units as well. If you haven't made full payment please PM me for the payment details.

#128 7 years ago

Scheduled to go out this weekend
    Bob Roy - Package 4 - Pickup - Bobs Game Room
    Profgrif - Package 3
    Fxdwg - Package 3
    HappyDayz - Package 4 - The Silver Ball Arcade
    McSirTuna - Package 4 - Pinball Game Room
    Brad Kreisler - Package 4 - The Kreisler Barcade

Scheduled to go out this weekend pending final payment to cover the display and shipping:
    Pinball_erie - Package 4 - The Conrad arcade
    The Rave - Package 4 - Westerly Pinball
    C2Motorsports - Package 4 - 9 Pounds Arcade

Others that "might" be able to go out this weekend if I get payment in full + $50 for actual shipping with partial refund for balance. This is dependent on the order of payment vs available acrylic panels. If I receive payment after I run out of panels I will refund the payment until I get more panels in.
    Bsquared - Package 1
    Pinballpal - Package 1
    2Kaulitz - Package 1
    JimB - Package 3
    Drumasauras - Package 3

Other update:
    My supplier for the panels I'm using doesn't appear to be selling any longer. I do have 18 more panels for 9 more displays BUT they don't behave correctly and may not be usable. I'm waiting to hear to see if they can be supported or to see if I can get different panels from the supplier. THIS MAY MEAN THAT THERE WILL BE NO FURTHER RUNS... Stay tuned.

#129 7 years ago

Ok I posted these pics (somewhere?) else, But I'll repost here. It looks and operates GREAT! And was well packed and protected for shipping! Better watch out! a lot more in this area are making me how to get one!!! LOL

20160710_084559_(resized).jpg20160710_084559_(resized).jpg

20160709_093225_(resized).jpg20160709_093225_(resized).jpg

#130 7 years ago

asking........

#131 7 years ago

Quick update.
    1 picked up this weekend.
    5 completed boxing
    6 partially boxed - Hope to complete tonight.
    I hope to print the shipping labels tonight to go out tomorrow.

Once again I underestimate the time... It takes a good 45 minutes to box one of these beasts up. I know I may be overkilling the packaging but I don't intend to re-do any of these especially the acrylic...

#132 7 years ago

There's a steady stream going out. A couple more going out tomorrow.

20160719_085943_(resized).jpg20160719_085943_(resized).jpg

#133 7 years ago

I had one go out today to Alpine, Ca. Shipping was $68. Ouch!

#134 7 years ago

Makes a wonderful addition to the game room

#136 7 years ago

wow!!!!! AMAZING!

#137 7 years ago

Wife: Are you downstairs staring at that clock again?

Me: Noooooo.....

#138 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Testing on a new improvement begins tomorrow night. I ordered something well over a month ago that I didn't expect for a few more weeks so I didn't think I would be able to incorporate... Got home from several out of town meetings today and a nice long package of goodness had arrived. I'll let you all know what it is when I prove it out in testing.

is this the temp gauge?

I love my DMD clock. Dan did an awesome job. I opted to leave my lower part unetched so I can use a grease pencil or have a few different graphics made for that area. If I ever sell it (i'm gonna die someday!), it'll be an easier sale without the personal etching.

Resized_20160710_162155_(resized).jpegResized_20160710_162155_(resized).jpeg

#139 7 years ago

I'm down to the last few panels. I'll be reaching out to some on the list that have not received them. I will send a message, wait a day, then move to the next name. Don't delay if I reach out since I will be moving on so I can close out this project for now.

I probably won't make a decision on whether to do another run until after Pinburgh.

#140 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Add yourself to the bottom of this list. I am not committing any new names or the prices for the next run at this point.

I was going to add myself to the bottom of the list even though you might no do anymore, but do you have a package without the acrylic bezel, but with a remote control?

#141 7 years ago

do you have a package without the acrylic bezel, but with a remote control?

They front acrylic hides the bare panel. Not sure you would like the look of it that way. There's a rear acrylic that everything is mounted to and a tinted front that makes the images look better. I probably could do it but I doubt I will offer it that way. The customizations are hard to keep track of. I suppose you could just not install it but like I said you really want it.

#142 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

The next batch if there is one will forward faster and I will have units ready to ship before I announce. j_m_ is a smart guy. That's how he does it

ha! I can contest that fact (and so will the people who have been on my current waiting list since december

the long and short of it is, the QC on most of these HK panels is crap so you know you're going to kill time testing out everything that you receive in terms of parts to ensure that they work. add to that the time it takes to build the the darn things, and yes, boxing them up takes a ton of time as well (especially when you factor in entering all of the shipping information to generate each label

btw, the panels look fantastic!

#143 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

They front acrylic hides the bare panel. Not sure you would like the look of it that way. There's a rear acrylic that everything is mounted to and a tinted front that makes the images look better.

I think maybe I'm confused. Is the portion of acrylic that you etch required? That would be something that I wouldn't want if possible.

It looks like the one in post #129 doesn't have that part that hangs below the clock. That's how I would want mine, but with a remote. I wasn't sure which option to choose.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-jumbo-clocks/page/3#post-3251327

#144 7 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

is this the temp gauge?
    I love my DMD clock. Dan did an awesome job. I opted to leave my lower part unetched so I can use a grease pencil or have a few different graphics made for that area. If I ever sell it (i'm gonna die someday!), it'll be an easier sale without the personal etching.

Can you show a picture of it with grease pencil writing on it?

#145 7 years ago

Is the portion of acrylic that you etch required?

Not required. When it's not edge lit it has the same acrylic on the front and back. It's actually the least expensive package mostly because it doesn't require the extra board and edge lighting components.

#146 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Can you show a picture of it with grease pencil writing on it?

When I find someone artistic to write on it, sure!

The clock comes with Dans website as a custom message. I deleted that and added "herman and dons arcade". I think you can specify how often the custom message scrolls by. I believe once every 50 animations is standard? Dan may correct me.

#147 7 years ago

Custom message can be set to scroll at certain time limits... every minute, 5 minutes (standard), 10 minutes etc

#148 7 years ago

There's a frequency option in the Custom message menu.

#149 7 years ago

Fyi. I'm on vacation in in Cranberry Township near Pittsburgh until after Pinburgh. If you are going to pinburgh I will probably be the only guy running around with a mini-dmd on my shirt. Stop me to say hello.

#150 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

I will probably be the only guy running around with a mini-dmd on my shirt

Pictures or it didn't happen

There are 183 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-jumbo-clocks/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.