5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I was trying to figure out a strange issue that is present in my recent Firepower restoration.
    The game came in with what looks to be an early version of the Rottendog MPU Driver combo.
    Regardless of how far I gap the slings they tend to machine gun at times. Sometimes to a point where the solenoid fuse blows.
    Also they fire simultaneously at game over.
    Having done a little research I found someone else with the exact same machine gunning issue in this video about 6:30 in
    I typically try to avoid these boards so I am not well versed but is there a known issue with these first run Rottendog MPU/drivers?

Was thinking of just switching it to the swemmer board since I don’t have an original to work with or could I be missing something else.
    Thanks for any insight or input.

#2 5 years ago

I have been using an original design rottendog in my world cup with no issues. I have read about others having issues, I been lucky with mine.
    It did act funky with the battery I got with the board( used board ) but putting in a fresh battery fixed that. The funkiness was ghost scoring.
    -Mike

#3 5 years ago

Thanks Mike.
    I have used the WPCs a time or two without issue but I see such mixed reviews about the others I was hoping to find out if there is something specific or undesirable about these exact MPU327 boards.
    I did see a note on Ksarcade where they no longer consider them compatible with System 7 games but Firepower is System 6 so it just makes me more curious.
    The real frustration always comes when you waste time chasing issues down that will never be solved because of a design flaw or something.

#4 5 years ago

I have a few Swemmer sys 80 mpu's and they have been rock solid.
    -Mike

#5 5 years ago

Edit to the correct part # MPU327
    I think it is referenced incorrectly in the video as MPU326
    Still looking for input as well.

#6 5 years ago

I believe there is a firmware update chip for both the 326 and 327 boards which addresses this problem. Check with the manufacturer.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-mpu326-question- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.