Capture (resized).JPG
1486527595165428907726 (resized).jpg
IMAG1954 (resized).jpg
1486313746210-1932868704 (resized).jpg
ProblemSystem1PowerSupplySchematic (resized).jpg
14839138264651059367152 (resized).jpg
1483841231172308508880 (resized).jpg
14838410262411995603206 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aobrien5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Just brought home a Cleopatra that's been out of service for a long time, so I'll be working to revive her, hopefully with your help!

I'll have some acid damage to neutralize and a lot of investigation to do, so let's start with the power board that seems to have seen better days.

It's got a couple transistors soldered on the back side and R12 and R13 have one leg desoldered. I know C1 should be replaced but that looks like the least of the concerns at the moment.

How does this look to you guys?

IMAG1783 (resized).jpgIMAG1783 (resized).jpg
IMAG1779 (resized).jpgIMAG1779 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Thanks @forceflow, so that's going to be an adventure. Now onto the mpu. Doesn't look /too/ bad from the front. But then the back...

IMAG1786 (resized).jpgIMAG1786 (resized).jpg

IMAG1787 (resized).jpgIMAG1787 (resized).jpg

IMAG1785 (resized).jpgIMAG1785 (resized).jpg

IMAG1784 (resized).jpgIMAG1784 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

For tarnishing, you can clean that up with a pink rubber eraser. For battery damage, you can try light sanding and re-tinning with solder.
Also, this method shows some promise: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stripping-battery-corrosion-with-a-strong-acid

Nice! Looks a lot easier than trying to sand it all!

#6 7 years ago

Ok, so mpu is acid bathed and the cap kit is on order for the power board. Pair of legs is in the rust remover along with a cup full of bolts and levelers. Next to ready is the lock down bar and receiver. I got the 3" tube because I figured the handle on the receiver would be simple to remove. Was I wrong, or am I missing something?

IMAG1794 (resized).jpgIMAG1794 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The handle is not removable as far as I'm aware.
For the power supply, there is a bit more to do on it beyond just the caps.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Recommended_Power_Supply_Updates_.26_Repairs

Yeah, the rest will have to be on my next order, of course. Fwiw, the other diodes and such look ok.

Also, damn. Figures. I'll have to get a trough to do that in.

Thanks.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Be sure to swap the two larger diodes on the lower left of the board. Those are underrated and tend to burn up.

Thanks, I emailed Ed to see if he can get the rest of the stuff into my order before he ships.

#11 7 years ago

What gauge wire do you use for the ground and transformer mods? 18?

Also, Ed was able to get the other parts in my order, so I'll be able to do the whole upgrade.

#13 7 years ago

I'm clearly going to owe you a couple cases of beer by the end of this project. I couldn't appreciate your help more. Thank you.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

And if you have already splashed the power supply nicely - as you did - you should also connect the (separate) masses for the 62/42V-string and for the other voltages by a little cable/wire brigde on the back of the circuit board. In the original state by GTB the connection of the masses is done later in the wiring harness (a look in the schematics shows this clearly) - actually idiotic.
On the one hand, you no longer have the problems measuring the 69V (I would like to say 99% of all people take the wrong GND pin in the measurement, namely A2P2 instead of A2P3 Pin5 and get wrong results) and on the other hand you make a further improvement regarding of the grounding problems and you can easily measure the display voltage with the plug disconnected for the display voltage supply.
But pics say more than words
Imho a must be done modification on GTB sys1 displays!!!!
Test this mod and you will love it!!!!

Thanks! Yes, the pic is very helpful there.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

No problem, I just happened to be studying my own power supply at length tonight trying to debug it.

Thanks, I appreciate it, too.

Quoted from Paulb:

I have a backglass that is near perfect if you need it

Mine is good, but I need the center plastic! Also, why doesn't anybody ever offer me the Mystic glass that I've been searching for!

#22 7 years ago

As I continue to wait for parts, the coin door and lock down receiver have been getting the rust buster love.

I suspect the orders will arrive tomorrow so there will be lots of time before I'm able to open them...

IMAG1842 (resized).jpgIMAG1842 (resized).jpg

IMAG1841 (resized).jpgIMAG1841 (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

So now I'm taking apart my first chime unit. Should I be replacing these rubber grommets and black foam? What kind of foam should I use? Grommet part number?

14815154716888210355 (resized).jpg14815154716888210355 (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago

Of course they do. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#26 7 years ago

Holidays are getting in the way, of course, but the project continues. I've got a ton of parts now and just need the time to work. In the meantime, is there any way to turn smoke white back to regular white again?

1482806109523488668940 (resized).jpg1482806109523488668940 (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

Thanks, I'm more concerned about the magic eraser on a 1977 painted cabinet. I guess you weren't scrubbing too hard, huh? I've got some purple power around here, think I may give that a try.

#31 7 years ago

I didn't have a lot of luck with purple power and light magic eraser usage. I'm thinking it's more fade/yellowing than smoke at this point.

#32 7 years ago

I'm finally rebuilding my power board...

The cermet trimmers are going from 4 leg to 3 leg. Can I get a pic of how the new ones are supposed to be oriented? I see the board has the proper holes for the 3 leg model.

Edit... I see the holes are not evenly spaced so can only be inserted properly in one direction.

#35 7 years ago

OK, next question. When I got the game, Q1 was removed and the power board wasn't in the game, so I don't really understand what's going on with the wire mod and how this thing is to be assembled with regard to mica insulators, thermal grease, etc.

#37 7 years ago

I do see the pics (though it would be easier if they were inline).

Is the point just that you desolder the wire rather than the eyelet when removing Q1? You still have to remove Q1 when removing the heatsink? The pics show where the holes go, but not where the wires route. You say not to route the wires through the original holes, but there are only 3 holes drilled.....And I see the 4th hole in the done picture.

The more I talk about it, reread the instructions and look at the pics the more I understand it.

You just desolder the wire from the pins on Q1 next time you remove it. Clever.

#38 7 years ago

Also, where does this piece go?

1483834161639-1314154128 (resized).jpg1483834161639-1314154128 (resized).jpg

#40 7 years ago

Now you lost me again. If Q1 goes through the heatsink, is the intention that everything stays connected by those wires while you work on the back of the PCB? Obviously, you can't pull Q1 through the heatsink. Should the wires be like 6"?

Also, if you want any additional pictures while I have this on my bench, I'd be happy to send them along.

#42 7 years ago

Awesome, thank you. I'm going to have to make longer wires.

Last question about this for now...

The bottom transistor was replaced previously and it's not going to line up with the bottom screw hole. Anything I should do, other than replace it?

14838410262411995603206 (resized).jpg14838410262411995603206 (resized).jpg

1483841231172308508880 (resized).jpg1483841231172308508880 (resized).jpg

#45 7 years ago

That one does not have a nylon insulator, though the other one does. I was wondering what that strip on the back side was.

Would it be ill-advised to not screw that one down, but just use the mica insulator and thermal grease?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The orange tape? It's polyimide tape. In this case, I was just using it to hold down the transistor to the heatsink so it didn't go anywhere while I had the screws out. But in general, it's used for holding things in place while soldering, since it doesn't melt.
amazon.com link »

Yep. When you screw it down, you're still connecting the regulator's tab directly to the heatsink through the screw and nut, so the mica insulator would be useless.

That makes sense, crap. Now I'm going to be stuck until I can find a nylon insulator for that screw hole. It was clearly never installed (at least properly) after that TIP was replaced because there's no grease on it.

#49 7 years ago

If you don't have an insulating bushing handy but have the mica you could get by temporarily with a nylon screw. Or even a zip tie cinched really tight just to test it out. I wouldn't run it long like that though.

Edit - Nevermind. The insulator prevents the screw from touching the heatsink.

#52 7 years ago

So where do I get one of those nylon insulators?

I'll try to zip tie it for now, just so I can get it powered on and see where I'm at.

#58 7 years ago

I do, will check that, thanks.

Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Just get a pascal board and call it a day, lol.

Funny thing is all this work is to attempt to save myself the $300 for the all in one board! I'm hoping after all this work, I'm going to plug everything in and it'll work like new! (And then I wake up)

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I guess. If the machine is nice and you plan to keep it, its a really nice board that you wont have to worry about later frying a coil or display.

The game is decent but hasn't been turned on for over a decade, so I honestly don't know if it will be a keeper. I'm not going to put a ton of time into it, but if $15 in parts can save the board, it's worth the attempt. I'm more concerned about the acid damaged CPU.

#61 7 years ago

Jackpot! It is a shoulder bushing. The inner diameter is a little smaller, so there's some slop in the hole, but that works for me since my regulators didn't line up anyway.

#62 7 years ago

That's it, we're done. Now let's see what blows up when we plug it in!

Could only get 5/6 screws in, but they're the 5 important ones.

14839138264651059367152 (resized).jpg14839138264651059367152 (resized).jpg

#64 7 years ago

Absolutely. The bottom board is already checked out, and now we're checking the power board.

#65 7 years ago

J2
+5.38v
-12.42v

J3
12.6v where there should be 60v
Pretty much 0 everywhere else

60v pot moves the 60v pin from 12.5v to 12.6v.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

As you found, that is mostly just yellowing from age. That is one of the most beautiful cabinets I've ever seen and I'd kill to have another one in that condition, I would certainly leave it be.

Yeah, I agree. There are some poorly done touch ups, but the part I was most impressed with is how solid it is. The bottom edge isn't separating or anything. I'd like to try to remove some of the bad touch ups, but that'd be a tough job not to go too far.

Have you checked Q3 and Q4?

Q4 was missing and is brand new. I have not checked anything since I took those measurements, but I will. Thanks.

#69 7 years ago

Ok, so I think Q3 is bad too. Getting measurements of .128 and .241 on the legs. Of course I don't have any of these transistors to replace it. It's supposed to be a 2N3416 NPN. I don't suppose I could use a 2N3904 in its place?

#70 7 years ago

2n2222a is a substitute according to another thread. Found a pn2222a at RS. Assuming that's the same thing?

#71 7 years ago

I'm getting 4v and 8v on J2, but still 12.8 where it should be 60v and nothing where it should be 42v.

@forceflow, forceflow, wherefore art thou forceflow?

#75 7 years ago

So your low voltage side is good, and that 42v depends on the 60v. So your Q3 might be the ticket. I would try the PN2222a, the Google says they are the same. Have you seen the very helpful schematic here?
http://www.stevechannel.com/system1PowerSupply.htm

I already put that pn2222a in and it didn't help, unfortunately. I am getting better readings on the transistor itself, though.

I have not seen that schematic, will check it out. Thanks.

How exactly did you measure the 60V? To what pins did you connect the black and red wire of your DMM?

I'm pretty sure I'm doing this right. I'm using the neg lead of C2 on black and red going right to the pin on J2.

#76 7 years ago

Where can I measure the 69V AC input? Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something on the bottom board.

#78 7 years ago

That is WRONG!!!!!1
Black wire to A2P3 PIN 5 and red wire to A2P3 PIN 1 for the 60VDC!!!!!
This fault is made by many people - I think, your 60VDC is OK.

Sorry C6, not C2. Going off this, but I'll try your way too.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Testing

#80 7 years ago

I've got 76v coming in and 102.5v across C6.

My J3 measurements don't change when measuring off of pin 5 for ground.

I'll go through that other schematic and see what I can find.

#81 7 years ago

Right away things seem off. On CR6 and CR8 I have 36v instead of 62v, but on CR7 and CR9, I have 102V where the schematic calls for 94.8v.

It seems to get worse as it goes as the emitter on Q2 is down to 13v.

#83 7 years ago

I was measuring DC. The only AC I measured was from the bottom board on the J1 pins. Everything else is DC. I was using J3 pin 5 for ground during those measurements. I had the black lead clipped on, so just moved the red lead to all the different locations mentioned.

#85 7 years ago

All the caps are new and I'm testing within 30s of power up. According to the fancy schematic, it goes, input voltage > cr6 > CR7. Voltage is low after 6 but high after 7? Doesn't make any sense to me.

1 week later
#86 7 years ago

I'm trying to trace the voltage with that schematic but I don't think I'm getting very far. Should I be measuring DC right at the start with CR6 and CR8? Use C6 as ground still?

Edit: I'm sure I'm doing this right, but wtf? How can R10 and R11 have those measurements when they're attached to the same solder pads??? My measurements are in blue.

ProblemSystem1PowerSupplySchematic (resized).jpgProblemSystem1PowerSupplySchematic (resized).jpg

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

R10 and R11 are in parallel. Results is 5K ohms.
Gottlieb did that because of the power dissipated by the resistors. Instead of buying/installing a bigger and more powerful resistor, they went with what they had in stock and used two instead of one.
Also, the Ground for 40VDC and 60VDC is different from the ground used for 4 VDC and 8 VDC which is the same as for -12 VDC and +5 VDC. When you know that this stuff was designed by Rockwell, it makes you wonder what this defense contractor did for Gottlieb.....
Yves

I understand that R10 and R11 are in parallel, but if that's the case, how is it that the same leg on each of the resistors measures a different voltage?

#90 7 years ago

polyacanthus thanks for all of that. I'll study up some more. I didn't even recognize those blue balls as caps... I'll check those, too.

1 week later
#91 7 years ago

Is there a difference between a 1n4753 and a 1n4753a? They seem to look different. Did this just change over the years? Am I going to break something if I replace this CR10 diode with a zener equivalent?

I can't seem to find a 1n4753.

1486313746210-1932868704 (resized).jpg1486313746210-1932868704 (resized).jpg

#93 7 years ago

Thanks.

I give up. I've replaced almost everything in the HV section and nothing has changed. I go from 100V to 13V at R10/R11 where it should be 62V. From there through the rest of the circuit it just keeps going down and I end up with 13V on the 60V output and essentially 0V on the 42V output pin.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Don't waste your time and energy. Get a Rottendog power supply. You will be grateful you did, down the road.
I just revived a Buck Rogers with a Rottendog Power Supply, a Janin PI-1 CPU board and a Ni-Wumpf Driver board.
I agree that it is a lot of money upfront but all this Rockwell electronics for Gottlieb is really bad and poorly designed. It was never meant to last more than a few years, while the machine was on location.
Yves

I've begun to think the same thing about just how poorly designed these boards are. When I said I give up, I was just referring to the PSU, not the game. My CPU was acid damaged, so that'll probably take a ton of work, then who knows what shape the driver board is in. I'll probably just close my eyes, hold my breath and order the 4-in-1 (and then hopefully I won't find out all my displays are blown too).

Quoted from ForceFlow:

A problem with Q2, maybe?
Maybe the leg that crosses over the trace is shorting?

The biggest problem with this PSU is that it's such a PITA to disassemble the damn thing over and over again. The wire mod on Q1 was an absolute life saver, but it's still a pain. I'll check Q2 because it is still out of the game and I should have a replacement, just in case (it tests ok, at least).

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

I am sure you know that, but the ground for the high voltages (60 VDC and 42 VDC) is different from the rest of the grounds used throughout the pinball machine. So, to measure 60 V and 42 V, you need to use the High voltage ground and not the green wires.
Yves

Yeah, I'm using C6 for ground and can get 100V early in the circuit. It just doesn't make it all the way to the pins.

#99 7 years ago

Can this board be bench tested with an ATX power supply? That would make things soooo much easier. I should've asked this question weeks ago...

#101 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Unfortuantely, no. It doesn't produce the right voltages.

bah. Was afraid of that.

#102 7 years ago

So, I'm here while I continue to ponder my board decision.

IMAG1954 (resized).jpgIMAG1954 (resized).jpg

Need to figure out what to do with this part.

1486527595165428907726 (resized).jpg1486527595165428907726 (resized).jpg

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

I would use two components epoxy glue and fill up the hole. I then would sand it carefully and paint over it to match the surrounding colors.
Most of it will be hidden by the post, so it does not have to be perfect.
Yves

Thanks. Then I'll just have to figure out which hole is the correct one. I'm guessing the top left.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

It should be in line with the one above it, like below.

Wow, just the pic I needed. Thanks!

1 week later
#107 7 years ago

Is peroxide still the best whitening process for these posts?

Also, does anybody have an old red pop bumper body laying around? Mine lost half the art during cleaning.

If I replace one with new, I'd really have to replace all of them since the aged white wouldn't match the new white.

1487525207991-495791574 (resized).jpg1487525207991-495791574 (resized).jpg

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yikes, what were you using to clean it?

Less than 1/10 solution of simple green in the ultrasonic. No wiping involved at all.

On a happier note, the playfield is clean. Ready for touch ups and reassembly.

IMAG1970 (resized).jpgIMAG1970 (resized).jpg

#111 7 years ago

Lesson learned. Didn't even cross my mind when I was throwing everything in there.

2 weeks later
#112 7 years ago

Almost time to start reassembly. Good news is that a friend tested the boards for me. Driver is good, CPU boots. We'll see how well once I get a working PSU.

IMAG1983 (resized).jpgIMAG1983 (resized).jpg

#113 7 years ago

Closer and closer.

14894565391611758727209 (resized).jpg14894565391611758727209 (resized).jpg

#114 7 years ago

Ok, time for tech help again. I got a rotten dog PSU and before hooking it up, o figured I would check my input voltages again. I'm only getting 35V at the 69V fuse. Not sure if I'm measuring wrong or if something happened here. Help?

Apparently, the 25V is also low-key 16v.

#115 7 years ago

Yeah, Nevermind. Output voltages are all good, so I was obviously measuring something wrong.

#116 7 years ago

Alright, I'm all the way through power up, but of course the playfield issues start now. When going through the coil test some coils work properly, but the right pop bumper goes crazy. See video.

I haven't done the ground mods for the CPU or driver board yet, but this seems like a bigger problem than that.

#117 7 years ago

Ok, so the switch being always closed will do that.

Next problem. Game starts and serves ball but then nothing else works, except the pops.

#118 7 years ago

Bump.

No switches register during switch test, or during game play. The display seems to say 0 or 1 at times during test, but I can't find anything that makes that happen. After a little while (more than 5s, but not a whole lot), it goes back to attract.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from LynnInDenver:

Sounds like something's seriously wrong with the switch matrix. It's quite possible that the logic attached to the switch matrix has gone south. Be sure to check that, the state of the back of the connector on the board, and the pins on the wiring harness.

How should I go about testing the logic? I repinned the connector already and this board did have acid damage. I cleaned it the best I could and replaced the obviously damaged components. Anything specific on the board to check?

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Worst case scenario--the u5 spider chip is shot. If that's the case, you will have to replace the board since those chips aren't available.
Do a ctrl+F to find the "Testing the Input/Output Buffer and Spider Chips" u5 chip testing section on the pinrepair page:
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/

Just what I needed. Thanks.

#124 7 years ago

So I went through all the testing with the game in attract mode. The only thing that didn't go exactly as expected is Z29 pin 1 is "locked on" but since I can't find in the schematic what that refers to, I can't say that's a problem. When I grounded Z9 pin 1 it started a game just like pressing the start button. All the strobes were pulsing properly.

I can't find in the schematic what switch maps to which pin, so I can't try activating other game switches, but while testing all the other pins on Z9 (with a game active) nothing happened, just like activating the playfield switches.

#125 7 years ago

Yikes, just added the CPU ground mod and now all the coils lock on at power up. Haven't done the driver board ground mod yet.

What'd I do wrong?

1490124299385855255242 (resized).jpg1490124299385855255242 (resized).jpg

#126 7 years ago

Including when I remove the ground from the back panel. Ugh. So I just blew the driver board? How does that work?

Edit: if I pull A1J5 it doesn't happen, so probably not a driver board problem?

#127 7 years ago

Broke it so good nobody wants to touch it, huh?

#129 7 years ago

Awesome, thanks. Didn't recognize that chip notation.

Just gotta go back and check the coils part now to see what that ground mod blew up.

#130 7 years ago

Ok, so I don't know if I did something wrong last time or if that ground mod caused it, but I'm getting no strobing on Z8 now, so I guess that means goodbye to this board. Time to order a Ni-wumpf.

3 weeks later
#131 7 years ago

Almost there!

Now that I got Ni-wumpf boards in, I've got some real progress!

Next problem is why the ball in play is overlaying on the P1 tens digit.

IMAG2068 (resized).jpgIMAG2068 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#132 6 years ago

Ok, so the display issue was just a loose connector pin coming off the CPU.

Last remaining problem is that the driver transistor for the 10pt chime keeps blowing. If I move the power wire to the 100 pt chime, the same transistor blows and locks on the 100pt chime. I sent both boards back to Ace at Ni-wumpf and he went over them for me. They're coming back now in a known good condition after his testing.

Hopefully all is well. Is this something the interconnect harness could cause?

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

You need to repin all of the connectors. PBR can supply them and the proper tool. It's time consuming but is essential to any system one. Clays guide on system ones is a must read.

I've been following Clay's guide and have repinned most connectors, including the CPU side of the interconnect harness. The driver side looks good still. I'll probably repin that wire at least anyway at this point.

1 week later
#135 6 years ago

So, put the boards back in, ran a whole new interconnect wire and a new wire from the driver board to the coil, just in case. Worked like a charm for one game. One ball into game two, it blows again, just like always. Wtf? I already tried swapping power wires and it locked on the 100 chime instead, so it can't be the coil, right? I'm at a complete loss here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aobrien5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reviving-a-cleopatra-come-help?tu=aobrien5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.