(Topic ID: 207052)

Restored vs. road worn.... do you prefer the road worn like I do?

By tamoore

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I have a couple of really nice games and I have some that have really lived and were driven hard. I like the player condition pins more. Sure, I clean them up and replace parts where I can and might even put things in place to prevent future damage: But I like a game that shows a history and has paid its debt in the form of paint and wear for the enjoyment of the people who have dropped their money into the slot.

How about you?

#2 6 years ago

I'd like a really good player version, but I guess I'll take road worn.
    There is no way I would, or have the ability to, pay for restored super fancy old games. I'm fixing up a Meteor I got and it is just Filthy underneath. For a minute I thought aboot cleaning it all up and then I realized, what's the point?

#3 6 years ago

I prefer to see intact artwork.

I try to get games working as well a possible, looking as nice as possible, and as close to factory as possible--but without too going overboard with spending. If I throw any mods in, they will be to prevent future problems, protect things, and anything cosmetic will be reversible.

#4 6 years ago

I like a little character as well. It would be nice to have a museum piece but not a high priority.

#5 6 years ago

If you've ever played a road worn version of a pin and a HUO or restored version of that same title, there is sometimes a huge difference. Playing the nearly untouched or restored version can be a real treat.

#6 6 years ago

I think having games that aren't museum pieces also allow me to chill out a bit when other people are playing them. Nudge them, slap them, push them as hard as you want... the game will tell you when it's too much. I don't care. Your kids can double flip endlessly and over and over - I'm cool with that as long as they're having fun....

#7 6 years ago

I have many restored high end machines. NIB, LE's and better than new machines.
    Over the years I've had several beaters as well. Machines that have lived hard lives
    and that have captivated thousands of players.

The gritty feeling of a players machine to me is rewarding. However I will completely
    shop, protect and restore a machine in most cases. Sometimes I'll pay someone to do
    this for me. On other occasions I will do it myself.

Regardless most machines in my collection are pretty clean. The "Players' grade machines
    that I have kept are only in that state because I am okay with it or the parts are unobtanium.

#8 6 years ago

When I "restore" my philosophy is to bring it back to the best version of what a 20+ year old game can be. Priority being that it functions mechanically and electronically as it should. I clean the hell out of a game and replace anything broken (that I can get my hands on). That being said I think one of the coolest parts of owning an older machine is that it lived a life of its own. It has some scars to show because it was in a bar or arcade. I refer to this as patina. Like to to be able to tell the story of the life a machine has lived before I got my hands on it. Shiny things are nice an all but "road worn" and cleaned and maintained is the sweet spot.

#9 6 years ago

To me it’s all a lot how they play. Often restored games don’t play better initially and need to break in and be adjusted. Restoring for me is about getting it as good as it left the factory, both cosmetically and mechanically.

#10 6 years ago

My priority is to purchase a game that is in decent cosmetic shape and that has not been hacked. Then I clean top side up and do a very detailed mechanical restore- throw it in the game room and play it!

I like games to look like they are from whenever they were built. It drives me a little crazy to see bright white art work and bright white drop targets on a game thats got a beautiful patina. I rotate my playing games through the shop and do complete cosmetic restorations and clear coat etc etc with the aim of restoring everything to better than new- but I KEEP all colors as they are with the patina!!

To me- I prefer a restored game thats all color matched to what was there over one that had a drop in new CPR playfield and plastics and new bright paint on the cabinet- it just doesnt look like its from the right era- almost a mash up of new and old that I prefer to avoid.

However- I only purchase games that are candidates for this process. If I had a bleached out example than sure- CPR away and it would look amazing and far far better. Just saying I prefer the patina. Authentic!

#11 6 years ago

Oh yea.. I want the fully working and to be great players too.... That's a given. They have to work as intended.

#12 6 years ago

I don't like worn or missing paint on the playfield. Other than that I don't care. Ding or nicks in the side art, faded or not, I don't care. If paint is missing from playfield I feel like the experience is diminished a bit for me.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

I don't like worn or missing paint on the playfield. Other than that I don't care. Ding or nicks in the side art, faded or not, I don't care. If paint is missing from playfield I feel like the experience is diminished a bit for me.

I only notice paint missing from the playfield of my pinbot when I'm not playing it. When I'm playing, I've got other things to worry about.

#14 6 years ago

With pins, I prefer to pull them out of the box, and play them as new. With vids, since I don't want any of the new stuff, I am happy with decent looking originals. I will replace a control panel overlay if there is a sharp edge on it that can cut someone, otherwise, it is good enough as is.

#15 6 years ago

As a low end pin guy, I agree with the road worn sentiments. The biggest hassle though is re-leveling all the inserts to get the game playing like new, without it looking new.

Half of the fun for me is trying to beat the high scores that Susan or Tim carved into the front of the backbox in 1977.

#16 6 years ago

It depends on how much wear
    I have a Bally Star Trek that I would rate the cabinet an 8/10, a little wear around the flipper buttons, a few scuff marks, I would not get this game repainted
    I also have a Bally Playboy, purple faded, sides scratched up, graffiti on the backbox. one day I will repaint this machine

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

As a low end pin guy, I agree with the road worn sentiments. The biggest hassle though is re-leveling all the inserts to get the game playing like new, without it looking new.
    Half of the fun for me is trying to beat the high scores that Susan or Tim carved into the front of the backbox in 1977.

That's cool. I have a story about that which isn't really totally germane to this topic. But, I'll tell it anyway....

I bought out the local arcade when I bought my house. Picked up all their games at once. In the haul was a Mrs. Pacman.... that I had vandalized when I was a kid.

Now, here I was, all these years later, having to fix it..

#18 6 years ago

I prefer a very nice unrestored original . Love finding 90's b/w tiltles in great condition ....its like finding a holy grail imo. If i cant then i will buy a restored version.

#19 6 years ago

As an addendum, I really don’t care about the cabinet. Playfield and playing surface is key, but I have new cabinets on some games and very faded/scuffed ones, and I can’t find a reason to care either way.

#20 6 years ago

My friend that got a hold of the Cyclone from our youth had me get it all working for him. The machine that started me in this hobby. He was very vocal about not repairing the playfield's worn areas when I suggested a playfield swap or paint touch up. We also know that in many cases a game actually looks better with wear than with the fixes designed to correct them.

#21 6 years ago

For me it depends on the era of game. For anything pre-CC and decalled side-art (say early 80's game or older) I'm fine with a game with a nice patina showing its age. Paint worn around the buttons, a little missing off high-wear areas of the PF, and even a flake or two on the BG. Initials or high scores carved into the cab or head. All give it character that is well earned from years of use. I don't like if a lot of paint is missing from the playfield or BG though, or if the cabinet has been painted over crudely, etc.
    It does have to play well, so I will clean/rebuild/replace parts as needed to ensure it shoots great.

For newer games, the cleaner and mintier the better. Decalled side art and CCed playfields don't seem to have the same charm when worn, they just look nasty.

#22 6 years ago

Don't mind what I call honest wear on an otherwise nice looking machine, but might touch up any vandalism and minor dings. So worn paint around the flipper buttons is ok.

Have a new found appreciation for the lower grade player's machines. Fixed up several rough projects last year, after letting them sit for a decade. Always preferred to repair original machines with decent cosmetics. Don't have the mad skills, or deep pockets, for high end restorations.

#23 6 years ago

I like them slightly broken in then I'll do the hard riding.

#24 6 years ago

I’d rather have a great player than a show piece. Over the years, I’ve found a lot of restored games just don’t seem to play right. On the older games (system 11’s) and older I actually prefer them a little beat up, it gives them character. Obviously I don’t mean huge gobs of artwork missing tho

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I like them slightly broken in then I'll do the hard riding.

Are we still talking about pinball?

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

Wait were we ever?

#27 6 years ago

I like finding road worn, and bringing them back to life. Road worn to better then new . Nothing better than owning a pin you brought back to life. Shiny and pristine in all its glory.

#28 6 years ago

I'm more picky about playfields then cabs. But since my collection has gotten pretty small they tend to be nicer condition games. I've had games in the past with a fair amount of wear on the cabs and it never bothered me in the slightest. Worn out playfields do bother me more (to own)...not sure why really, just like all the playfield art to be complete I guess.

#29 6 years ago

I like my games in pristine condition, personally I would prefer a restored game then a beater. You asked, Plus I like the art of the restoration.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago

I think this is a great topic. I don’t own any minty NIB machines but if i did i’m sure i’d be upset if any art got damaged. That said my passion is to bring pre-loved games back to their original glory - as they would of been when they were released (plus some electrical bulletproofing). But in the meantime unrestored fit nicely in my collection until i can get to them. Picked up an ES last year at Pinfest (many of you prob saw or played this). PF worn in lots of areas and the left side of cab looked like it had been dragged down the highway. I love this pin. It plays awesome mechanically the guy who had it on route had it dialed in perfect. So while it isnt perfect its a keeper and one day it’ll look good enough to take out to dinner haha

Now what i don’t like is poor attempts to touch up missing art. I think this is worse than any wear down to bare wood. Fix it right or not at all is my 2 cents.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restored-vs-road-worn-do-you-prefer-the-road-worn-like-i-do?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.