• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Hello all,

A very helpful guy at work has just replaced the 10,000UF 35V caps on my Congo's WPC95 power and AV boards.
He did my AFM's WPC95 power board a while back too, and it works well, so he's got the soldering skills.

However, for the Congo AV board; I'd ordered some new 220UF 160V caps to replace the older C28 & C42 ones (like for like, but better temp rating of 105deg) but they didn't turn up in time, so he's fitted 330UF 200V caps instead...

My question is; will this higher UF still work?

I'm using a standard dot matrix for the time being until i can afford a ColorDMD.

Advice appreciated.

Cheers.

#2 7 years ago

Bizarrely, the manual shows C28 & C42 as 150uf 160v, not the 220uf I had fitted, so he's at least doubled the capacitance!
Unless the manual is incorrect...

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3 7 years ago

Some googling found this old dialogue:
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/archive/index.php/t-207727.html

The end of the conversation suggested:

"Increase them. Sorry, forgot to mention the recommendation for change to higher value components. The 150uf/160v is a bizarre size that is a bit more difficult to find. The 220uf/160v is a much more common size, and in this circuit the increase doesn't hurt anything."

#4 7 years ago

220uf is what is known in the electronics industry as a "preferred value". 150 is a most unusual size and I have no doubt that, originally, they struggled to find that value so decided to increase to 220 that would have been easily available. Before some chip in and tell me they can buy 150uf caps, yes, I can as well BUT if I want 10K of them for production suddenly I can't!!!

Most electro caps have a very wide tolerance - some as high as 20% so don't get too hung up on the increased value.

When selecting the correct value for a job most engineers choose the smallest cap that will do the job and double that value to make up for tolerances, aging, temperature changes etc.

With voltages you would usually select the "next highest" preferred value. EG: If your supply rail is 12V a 16V would be OK but I prefer to jump to 25V for a better safety margin.

The short answer for electro caps (in most applications) is that higher values of capacitance and voltage from the originals are almost always OK.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

When selecting the correct value for a job most engineers choose the smallest cap that will do the job and double that value to make up for tolerances, aging, temperature changes etc.

Except for Samsung... They take the smallest cap that does the job, divide it by 3 and use that...

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

220uf is what is known in the electronics industry as a "preferred value". 150 is a most unusual size and I have no doubt that, originally, they struggled to find that value so decided to increase to 220 that would have been easily available. Before some chip in and tell me they can buy 150uf caps, yes, I can as well BUT if I want 10K of them for production suddenly I can't!!!

The short answer for electro caps (in most applications) is that higher values of capacitance and voltage from the originals are almost always OK.

Thank you for the info.

So are we assuming that this is one of those 'most applications' where the higher value of capacitance (220% of original specification) is acceptable? I believe this part of the PCB smoothes a voltage for the DMD. I'm happy about the higher rated Voltage, totally get that bit.

#7 7 years ago

In this case yes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-wpc95-av-220uf-capacitors-with-330uf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.