11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by dr_nybble
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 months ago

Hi can anyone tell me what product is best to remove without scraping the original paint completely ready for reprinting

#2 11 months ago

I think you're missing a few details in regards to what you're attempting to do.

#3 11 months ago

completely remove the artwork back to ply

#4 11 months ago
    Quoted from Prezzo:

completely remove the artwork back to ply

Orbital sander?

#5 11 months ago

I use SmartStrip paint remover to get the bulk of it off, then finish with a random orbital.

#6 11 months ago

Age of cabinet?? Lead paint/dust precautions may be needed.

#7 11 months ago

Wear a mask gloves use a paint stripper gel applied with a paint brush then use a paint scraper to remove then apply some sugar soap spray to remove any excess stripper gel then fill any holes with a wood filler then sand cabinet and clean off any dust then ready for painting.
    Raff.

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from zaphod:

Age of cabinet?? Lead paint/dust precautions may be needed.

1971 odds and evens playfield

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from Raff:

Wear a mask gloves use a paint stripper gel applied with a paint brush then use a paint scraper to remove then apply some sugar soap spray to remove any excess stripper gel then fill any holes with a wood filler then sand cabinet and clean off any dust then ready for painting.
    Raff.

its a playfield

#10 11 months ago

So I have done a few crazy things with playfields including https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bare-wood-em-playfield-repaint

For that one I sanded off the original; but use caution as the veneer is not thick. This is maybe not the best approach though as it is certainly more challenging to repaint without the original art work as a reference. As I mention in the thread, in hindsight I may not have done it that way. Probably the preferred approach is to seal the original artwork with clear coat and do a repaint on top.

Another approach (which I also did -- see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-pitch-bat-club#post-7182826) is to cut a new playfield using the old one as a reference.

Neither of these approaches is for the faint of heart!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-the-original-art-work-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.