(Topic ID: 140395)

Removing side-rails and lockbar receiver: How to?

By goldenboy232

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

What is the correct procedure to safely remove side-rails on a Gottlieb EM? Also, how do I remove the metal receiver for the lock-bar? I've removed the four screws inside the cabinet, but looks like it's maybe nailed or riveted on as well?

#2 8 years ago

Side rails have nails that have a very coarse thread machined into them. Carefully protect metal surface of side rail and gently pry up nail head just enough to get a plier on them and then you can basically unscrew them. Its only a couple turns to back out the entire nail.

If you damage surface its easy to repair with sand paper and then regrain using 3M scotch guard or finer sand paper but if rails are really clean its of course better to work carefully in the first place.

Lock down should not be nailed- at least is not in 1973 and 1976 examples I have worked on. Your just missing a screw or possibly need to apply a bit more force. It should basically lift straight up- caution!!! You need to remove the locking mech that holds down play field before the bar will come out!! <if I recall correctly> Carefully inspect both sides to be sure you have all the screws out then if it looks like you do need to remove the lock, unscrew this and remove and THEN attempt to gently pry it up and out.

Nothing hidden here- look around very carefully to be sure you have it all unscrewed and your good to go. It could easily be "glued" down from old beer/soda/crap and just need a bit of a pop to release it.

#3 8 years ago

You can get new nails from PBR! You will almost certainly need to replace them- its probably possible to remove and reuse but I just replace them.

#4 8 years ago

There may also be a couple nuts in holes which hold the door frame and the lock rec?? just a guess

#5 8 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-em-side-rails

Quoted from goldenboy232:

how do I remove the metal receiver for the lock-bar?

Remove all the flush-mount wood screws that hold it in (these are all on the inside cabinet side, about six of them), then lift it up and away from the cabinet. There are only those screws holding it in.

#6 8 years ago

There is qty 6, you missed a couple...

#7 8 years ago

Thanks, guys. That worked and the rails and receiver are now off. I will be starting a new thread about this Atlantis project and will need all of your expert advice. Cabinet is shot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-side-rails-and-lockbar-receiver-how-to and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.