10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by jrcmlc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20230603-202941~2 (resized).png
    #1 10 months ago

2 games I've been looking at have similar scratches, like they've been keyed, on one side.. They're both black cabinets, wondering if there is a reasonable way to hide/touch up/remove those like you might with a car... Or they have to be decaled or refinished?

#2 10 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

2 games I've been looking at have similar scratches, like they've been keyed, on one side.. They're both black cabinets, wondering if there is a reasonable way to hide/touch up/remove those like you might with a car... Or they have to be decaled or refinished?

It's wood. You can do anything from ignoring it to coloring the scratch with a black Sharpie to sanding, filling and installing new decals or re-stenciling. How nice do you want it to look?

#3 10 months ago

It just depends on your expectations. If it is just black and you are OK with a scratch that is touched up I say go for it. You can use a paint pen but I don't like those as well because it tends to not match as well and sheen is usually off. Paint that you can mix for shade and sheen will work best for hiding the scratch. If you just can't handle the look of a touched up cabinet then you can redecal but that's a lot of work.

#4 10 months ago

I probably should have been more clear, I under no circumstances want to refinish or re-decal it..... Just looking for options on how to remove a couple marks in otherwise VERY nice cabinets. I was hoping there was some magic beyond a sharpie lol.

Quoted from metallik:

It's wood. You can do anything from ignoring it to coloring the scratch with a black Sharpie to sanding, filling and installing new decals or re-stenciling. How nice do you want it to look?

#5 10 months ago

This is one of the problem areas. It looks better when you're not spotlighting it but it's still very obvious.

Screenshot_20230603-202941~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230603-202941~2 (resized).png
    #6 10 months ago

Get a black sharpie, fill it in. Right after you put the black down wipe it. This way the black is in the scratch and not outside of it. It will blend in better.

#7 10 months ago

You’d need to redecal it.

Marker, imo, will make it look like shit. If not redecaling it, just leave. It’s patina.

#8 10 months ago

Patina. Just put this pin between your other ones and you won't see the scratches at all.

#9 10 months ago

Thanks for the replies. The other one has larger and more defined scratches, both look like a little kid decided it was a good idea to key them. I'm useless when it comes to cabinet work, and I don't know of anyone near me that does it, so it's a real shame... Both units are great examples aside from these scratches on just one side.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-improving-scratches-in-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.