Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Leg_Bracket.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Has anybody re-threaded the leg plates on their machines? I attached a picture of the plates on my machine and cannot find these black ones Stern uses for sale anywhere. I contacted Stern they said the only leg plates Marco and Stern sell are the larger more robust plates they put on our European games. I only need to replace one plate and would like them all to match. Plus I would prefer to keep the machine original. So I was thinking I could re-thread the plate since I cannot find them for sale. I am pretty sure people have posted about doing it in the past and even think some people had to do it on a NIB machine (TF I believe). I tried searching but couldn't find the thread. So was wondering if anyone has had lucky trying it?

Thanks in advance

Leg_Bracket.jpgLeg_Bracket.jpg

#2 10 years ago

I let a friend borrow my Congo and somehow he stripped every bolt in nearly every leg. I had ordered new leg plates and bolts but I decided to try an experiment to get it back and playing before that stuff arrived. I got some new bolts from home depot and one hardened bolt that I used as a tap of sorts. I guess I was able to straighten out the gnarled threads with the hardened bolt because afterwords the new bolts went in easy and threaded with no problems. I dunno just how bad yours are so just throwing it out there.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

I let a friend borrow my Congo and somehow he stripped every bolt in nearly every leg. I had ordered new leg plates and bolts but I decided to try an experiment to get it back and playing before that stuff arrived. I got some new bolts from home depot and one hardened bolt that I used as a tap of sorts. I guess I was able to straighten out the gnarled threads with the hardened bolt because afterwords the new bolts went in easy and threaded with no problems. I dunno just how bad yours are so just throwing it out there.

My plate is not too bad and you can still thread the bolts down tightly with a wrench, however you cannot thread them by hand like all the other legs. So the threads are a little rough and maybe a hardened bolt might be all I need to clean it up. Can you pick them up at Home Depot or Lowes?

#4 10 years ago

Here's something that's close and probably will never strip:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=858

#5 10 years ago

Yea I got all the bolts from home depot. They didn't have the correct acorn style bolts but they worked until I could replace them.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Here's something that's close and probably will never strip:
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=858

Thanks Ken. I know there are a few different styles out there and I searched all the suppliers websites. These are the closest I found and am wondering if they are the same plates even though it does not say they are for Sterns.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-9296

I was hoping to find exact replacements and wish Stern would sell them. I never strip them on my machines because I always make sure the legs are off the ground when tightening or loose who previously owned some of my machines

#7 10 years ago

Just do it right and get a real tap.

Taps cut those silky threads that are a pleasure to screw down.

Ask for a 3/8"-16 tap, you are going to need it for as long as you plan on owning pins.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Just do it right and get a real tap.
    Taps cut those silky threads that are a pleasure to screw down.
    Ask for a 3/8"-16 tap, you are going to need it for as long as you plan on owning pins.

Thanks. I was hoping that would be all I needed. My work has taps so I can just borrow one to try out. My concern was that you might need to tap a larger hole then 3/8" to clean it up and I didn't want to do that because then I would need different size bolts. So it's good to know a 3/8" tap will work. Worst case if I mess it up I can always just buy an aftermarket one.

#9 10 years ago

Lube your tap with a "tiny" amount of motor oil.

Gently let it "find" the existing thread to lead in.

Keep it straight, and remember to go forward maybe a 1/2 turn, then go backwards 1/4 turn to break the chip.

Sounds more complicated than it will be.

Taps are brittle. Don't bend them, don't drop them.

#10 10 years ago

Tap and Die set is one of the best tools I ever purchased. I find uses for it everywhere.
    Unsure how this kind of plate would do well with retap though? You have to size up and I do not think that there is any slack in the wood hole or the leg hole to size up to the next size bolt.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Unsure how this kind of plate would do well with retap though?

He says that the threads are not stripped, just the bolts are hard to turn.

Should clean up nicely, I'd guess.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/re-threading-tapping-stripped-leg-plates and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.