Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 68 days ago by ethan1082
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

OK, I have done everything I can think of and my JP still gets into a random firing of solenoids after being turned on for several minutes. It usually starts during a multi-ball and once it starts will remain until the game is shut off. I have updated the code to the latest rev, and gone through all the switches and everything looks fine. I have also examined the wiring near the upper flipper coil stop, and found 2 wires that were frayed and/or broken. Both of these have been fixed, but I still see the issue.

This is a phenomenal game, in great shape, but I can't get it 100% because of this - any help would be greatly appreciated! Dave

#2 10 years ago

Is it acting like a ball search?

#3 10 years ago

Not exactly acting like a ball search, but it is firing only those solenoids that would search for the ball (ball launch, up kickers, etc) but not in the same order as the ball search, more random. Tonight or this weekend I can post a video to show exactly how it looks/sounds when it starts doing it.

#4 10 years ago

I had random solenoids firing on my R & B upon boot and playing a game....

Craziest thing, it actually ended up being a bad relay and couldn't switch the high voltage between the flashers and solenoids anymore, hence causing a solenoid to fire instead of a flasher flashing....

#5 10 years ago

Thanks fattrain - I hadn't thought of that. I will inspect more closely when the issue is happening, and see if flashers are not turning on when they should. If that's it, I'll check the relays. I will report back....

#6 10 years ago

OK, the issue is definitely related to these relays. When the random solenoids are firing, the flashers are not going off. I pulled both relay boards and reflowed all the solder joints (one joint looked cold/cracked so I thought I had it nailed). Plugged everything back in, and the game worked great for about 15 minutes. Then the issue started happening again - could this be a problem with one of the actual relays, or should I troubleshoot the wiring further? Are these D.E. relays easy to obtain? Thanks for everyone's help.

#7 10 years ago

Awwwww Yea! Sounds like for once I was able to offer some sound advice

As far as I know the relays should be pretty easily obtainable at most of the usual electrical component places (digikey, mouser, e.t.c.)

Looks like this guy is experiencing something similar over in this thread....

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-flasher-test-operating-coils

2 weeks later
#8 10 years ago

Finally got this fixed!!! I had to reflow all the solder on the PPB board - I think I had a cold joint on there somewhere, and as the machine heated up, I lost a connection causing the relay to malfunction. All fixed and working 100%! I'll update later if the issue pops up again... Thanks everyone for your help! Wow JP is a pretty fantastic game when working properly!

9 years later
#9 3 months ago

Just wanted to revive this in case it happens to someone else. I have periodically experienced very similar symptoms. First started after a transport. Usually after multiball occurs. Then went away for a few weeks (also low plays). Happened again tonight and this sounds promising. Ill update in the next week or so when I can pull out the board.

3 weeks later
#10 68 days ago

The game started to constantly experience the symptom described above so I have not played in two weeks. Took out the ppb board tonight, all appeared fine. Reflowed every connector pin just in case. First game did get multiball (and lit all crts except missed the last control room shot sadly, dang!) no symptoms from before experienced this game. Maybe solder joints at the connectors maybe I bumped a wire that has bad connection at IDC. Who knows? Hopefully cured.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Sabattus, ME
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/random-solenoid-firing-on-data-east-jurassic-park and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.