(Topic ID: 125642)

Quick Question: Should I turn the game off at the wall?

By Bubbatom

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by KJ4IPS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So, I was tightening a flipper solenoid on my RS with the game off (not at the wall though) and accidentally let the screwdriver touch one of the solenoid contacts. I was very surprised to see a bright spark when the two touched! I've been doing repairs on this and the last machine with the game off, but still with the switch on the wall on, is this a good idea? It appears not!

Cheers, Tom

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Bubbatom:

So, I was tightening a flipper solenoid on my RS with the game off (not at the wall though) and accidentally let the screwdriver touch one of the solenoid contacts. I was very surprised to see a bright spark when the two touched! I've been doing repairs on this and the last machine with the game off, but still with the switch on the wall on, is this a good idea? It appears not!
Cheers, Tom

I always use only the game switch and never have a problem, it sounds to me like you just experienced the games power supply storing a charge in the solenoids power section capacitors. No worries, just allow the game to self discharge for a little while before working on it if you are concerned, and stop throwing your tools around

#3 9 years ago

Do you have the correct power switch in the game.It should be spdt to disconnect both leads. Sometimes they get replaced with one that only breaks one line.

#4 9 years ago

I always physically unplug games I'm working on. I don't want a shock, and my game doesn't want a short.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from KloggMonkey:

I always physically unplug games I'm working on. I don't want a shock, and my game doesn't want a short.

Unfortunately that won't solve the issue of charged capacitors, which--depending on the circuit--can take a while to discharge. The safest route is to either get a capacitor discharge probe or you can put your meter on the cap and discharge it that way. The latter technique requires a high-resistance meter and is applicable only to low voltage caps (in this instance solenoid voltage would be considered as low). Do not attempt this with a cheap meter.

#6 9 years ago

Does turning the switch on, with the game unplugged do anything to discharge caps? I suppose that would also depend on the circuit.

#7 9 years ago

As a general rule when dealing with machines that have AC to DC power supplies, either wait a few minutes with the power off before servicing, or short the capacitors with a small screwdriver (not possible in many cases.)

THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO HIGH VOLTAGE (CRT's, DMD's). There are proper tools for working on those.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 37.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quick-question-should-i-turn-the-game-off-at-the-wall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.