(Topic ID: 347876)

Question: Stern LE feels butter smooth/quiet compared to Premium/Pro?

By superNoid

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by superNoid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dozens.gif
#1 4 months ago

Maybe I am way late to the game and this is a known factor? lol

I own a few home pins, GZ prem, DP pro and a WCS94. All shoot and feel great. However I was on location today playing a few Stern LEs and they felt so much ... smoother and very quiet? Hard to describe but when I was playing the LE's, the sound of the game, the sound of the ball rolling, the ball hitting everything inside the cabinet and the movement of flippers felt incredibly upgraded. I noticed this first on a Bond LE, it was extremely noticeable vs my Premium/Pro.

I moved on to another 3 Stern LE's on location and every one of them felt the same. Quiet, almost muted mechanical sounds.. buttery smooth ball rolls and flippers and it blew my mind. It improved my pinball experience by I don't know.. +30%!? Has anyone else experienced this and is there something that is contributing to this specifically that I can do/mod to my existing pins?

1. I figure that the powder-coat on the LEs may be contributing to machine touch/feel in some way?
2. Each machine had shakers that did NOT rattle the back box and felt tuned in. (none of my home machines have shakers)
3. I figure HD glass could be contributing but I have HD glass on my DP and it doesn't sound or feel the same.
4. Location had rubber feet under each leg, I think these: https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-silicone-leg-leveler-casters-set-of-4.html
**note: The Premium/Pro models also had the same rubber feet.

Final point here is, this was no placebo at all. I was so intrigued by this that I started playing Premium then LE between games and everything was faster, smoother, quieter. Hard to describe.

Is this normal? I am out of touch? Is there anything I can do to my home Pro/Premium to make them feel like this?

#2 4 months ago

It's all the same mechs, cabinet and basically the same game as the premium. The operator could take more care with their LEs as far as set up and maintenance but really they shouldn't feel any different than the premiums.

#3 4 months ago

There zero difference in playfield or parts quality. Pure placebo.

#4 4 months ago

When I buy a game, I will typically leave it in the living room for a month or two because I want to play it every day. At some point I move it into the basement that has a floating floor over concrete. It's jarring to me every time how different a machine feels between the living room and the basement.

This is probably what you're experiencing, the environment is different.

#5 4 months ago

Also everything feels quieter in an arcade with tons of other games playing. I stayed late one night to play Venom and I was shocked at how loud it felt when I was playing it with the rest of the machines off. I finally heard the power supply noise people complained about whereas with the rest of the machines on it seemed whisper quiet.

#6 4 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There zero difference in playfield or parts quality. Pure placebo.

Totally get this, but there was a very, very big difference in how the game felt, shot and sounded between Bond LE and Bond Premium. I'm headed back in a few and will try again.

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from superNoid:

Totally get this, but there was a very, very big difference in how the game felt, shot and sounded between Bond LE and Bond Premium. I'm headed back in a few and will try again.

I agree with you. I think the games feel different as well. A few years ago, we bought a Star Wars LE and our friends bought a Star Wars premium. Both games were side by side and the LE definitely felt different. I cannot work out what it is.

#8 4 months ago
Quoted from superNoid:

It’s gotta be something like setup, tweaks, maybe even how tight the legs are attached, leveled, the environment…Prems & LEs are literally built from the same parts. Same cabs. Same playfields (there’s no extra clear). Trim has powdercoat, but that shouldn’t affect play or noise. LE has better speakers, but again - shouldn’t affect anything tangible.

#9 4 months ago
Quoted from superNoid:

Maybe I am way late to the game and this is a known factor? lol
I own a few home pins, GZ prem, DP pro and a WCS94. All shoot and feel great. However I was on location today playing a few Stern LEs and they felt so much ... smoother and very quiet? Hard to describe but when I was playing the LE's, the sound of the game, the sound of the ball rolling, the ball hitting everything inside the cabinet and the movement of flippers felt incredibly upgraded. I noticed this first on a Bond LE, it was extremely noticeable vs my Premium/Pro.
I moved on to another 3 Stern LE's on location and every one of them felt the same. Quiet, almost muted mechanical sounds.. buttery smooth ball rolls and flippers and it blew my mind. It improved my pinball experience by I don't know.. +30%!? Has anyone else experienced this and is there something that is contributing to this specifically that I can do/mod to my existing pins?
1. I figure that the powder-coat on the LEs may be contributing to machine touch/feel in some way?
2. Each machine had shakers that did NOT rattle the back box and felt tuned in. (none of my home machines have shakers)
3. I figure HD glass could be contributing but I have HD glass on my DP and it doesn't sound or feel the same.
4. Location had rubber feet under each leg, I think these: https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-silicone-leg-leveler-casters-set-of-4.html
**note: The Premium/Pro models also had the same rubber feet.
Final point here is, this was no placebo at all. I was so intrigued by this that I started playing Premium then LE between games and everything was faster, smoother, quieter. Hard to describe.
Is this normal? I am out of touch? Is there anything I can do to my home Pro/Premium to make them feel like this?

I can understand this. I’ve noticed it on some games, too. My thoughts were that the playfields seemed to have a thicker clear on these machines. YMMV. Just what I noticed.

#10 4 months ago

The extra $3.5k you spend on the LEs is for the Inconel 718 for all the metal parts, Brazilian Rosewood for the playfield/cabinet and spray foaming of the entire inside of the cabinet to quiet everything. LEs...it's more than just a numbered plaque...

#11 4 months ago

SuperNoid:

FWIW: We have a Bond LE. Whenever I play a pre or pro at location or someone's home, I think "Jeez. This just feels so much cheaper in terms of the quality of the PF, cabinet, etc - but it MUST just be in my head."

Maybe it is in my head, but I'm not the only one.

#12 4 months ago

Reminds me of the fact cop cars get their own special parts. When I was in HS, a friend worked at a local garage. He'd tell me how all the police cars they serviced had specially-designated parts: Cop-shocks, Cop-struts, Cop-drivetrains, etc.

Quoted from schudel5:

The extra $3k you spend on the LEs is for the Inconel 718 for all the metal parts, Brazilian Rosewood for the playfield/cabinet and spray foaming of the entire inside to quiet everything. LEs...it's more than just a numbered plaque...

You joke, but that reminds me of something else...

It would be nice to think LEs aren't just $3K for a signature. But, that signature may mean more than one usually thinks. I bought a really nice classical guitar in Madrid from Ignacio Rozas (back then it was $2K, now it's worth $4K). It was made with Brazilian rosewood. But it was "modelo 2a" - which meant it was made by one of Ignacio's apprentices. I couldn't afford a 1a, so I asked Ignacio if he would sign the inside of the guitar I was about to buy from him. He declined. Even though his name was printed in big letters on the label inside the guitar, he only signed his 1a modelos. The ones he made himself.

#13 4 months ago

Some LEs even have the exact same playfield as a pro. For example Foo Fighters, completely interchangeable among all models. If you guys are noticing something different it's because of who set it up or the conditions they are set up in. There is absolutely no difference in the parts used that would effect gameplay.

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I agree with you. I think the games feel different as well. A few years ago, we bought a Star Wars LE and our friends bought a Star Wars premium. Both games were side by side and the LE definitely felt different. I cannot work out what it is.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Quoted from tktlwyr:

I can understand this. I’ve noticed it on some games, too. My thoughts were that the playfields seemed to have a thicker clear on these machines. YMMV. Just what I noticed.

Interesting thought though, because the Bond LE I was playing today was smooth as silk on the playfield. Could have been recently waxed too.

Quoted from schudel5:

The extra $3.5k you spend on the LEs is for the Inconel 718 for all the metal parts, Brazilian Rosewood for the playfield/cabinet and spray foaming of the entire inside of the cabinet to quiet everything. LEs...it's more than just a numbered plaque...

Wait, is this true? This might be it.

Quoted from Nicholastree:

SuperNoid:
FWIW: We have a Bond LE. Whenever I play a pre or pro at location or someone's home, I think "Jeez. This just feels so much cheaper in terms of the quality of the PF, cabinet, etc - but it MUST just be in my head."
Maybe it is in my head, but I'm not the only one.

There are dozens of us!

**Update: I went back to location and played a few more LE's right after Premium etc. I'm convinced that the powdercoat has a big part of the general feel. I even played a few JJP, like Dialed-In etc and the powdercoat on those have a "similar" soft feel. I think it might be something to do with the cool, colder feel to the touch when playing vs the textured feel of a Premium/Pro (Stern).

This is making me really consider powdercoating my GZ and DP. Maybe its time to wax my playfields as well.

dozens.gifdozens.gif
#15 4 months ago

Reminds me of the fact cop cars get their own special parts. When I was in HS, a friend worked at a local garage. He'd tell me how all the police cars they serviced had specially-designated parts: Cop-shocks, Cop-struts, Cop-drivetrains, etc.

I learned this years ago from watching the Blues Brothers.
: )

#16 4 months ago

I might be jumping to conclusions as well but…I’d swear most of the Spike 2 LE’s I’ve previously owned, either have had softer springs in the flipper buttons (compared to pro/prem) or, noone at all.
Buttery smooth/light action either way.

Deadpool LE especially!
Man, I miss that game.

#17 4 months ago

Yes I have definitely noticed this as well.
I can’t put my thumb on it but there is a difference.

#18 4 months ago

It’s definitely the powder coat. I have noticed the same thing. Just feels right compared to the rough texture pro/ prem

#19 4 months ago

Having the game level and tightening the leg bolts a little extra makes a huge difference in how it feels. Add in some rubber footies and my games feel like they weigh 1000 lb. When I play games and they move all over the place they just feel cheap.

#20 4 months ago
Quoted from superNoid:

Seriously. It’s the powder coat

#21 4 months ago

It’s just the difference in environments between your game room and the arcade. Acoustics, floor type, ceiling type, ambient noise, etc, all
Make a big difference. If you play the same pin in a plush carpet and furnished room it will feel smooth and butter compared to in an empty room with tile floors. There’s no difference in the pins and nothing the arcade operator is doing special to account for this. If there was, we’d all be doing it.

#22 4 months ago

There is nothing different between an LE and premium other than some fancy window dressing. They use the exact same playfields as the ones used on the premium (in some cases same as the pro). You will have slight variation from game to game. That’s not an LE-premium-pro thing. I bet if you lined up 2 LE side to side of the same game they will have a different feel to each game. A lot of contributing factors can play a role in this. As for the sound, yes, the LE as the upgraded kenwood speakers in, but a very easy mod you can do with a premium or pro model.

#23 4 months ago
Quoted from bocce:

It’s definitely the powder coat. I have noticed the same thing. Just feels right compared to the rough texture pro/ prem

While I agree that P-C'd games have a better feel/look (all four of our machines are P-C'd and our Zilla and AIQ premiums definitely feel more like LEs because of it), I've played premiums and pros that were PC'd and they simply look and feel like they are made of cheaper materials. None of this makes objective sense, of course, but it does make me wonder. Placebo effect?

I know a pinsider with an awesome game room who P-Cs all his games, mods them to perfection and puts in high-end audio components. Yet, when I played his Bond pro I thought the PF and plastics looked/felt lower quality from our LE. I don't pretend to have an answer to the OP's question. I only have the same question...

#24 4 months ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I learned this years ago from watching the Blues Brothers.
: )

So funny. We got sidetracked by pinball but I was planning to watch Blues Brothers this past weekend with my kids (now 13 and 11, so about the age I was when I saw it). The only teasers they have so far are the songs from the movie I play in the car and the scene at Chez Paul: "how much for the little girl? Your daughters? Sell me your children!" They love that scene and, surprisingly perhaps, often request hearing Minnie the Moocher, Sweet Home Chicago, Think and the Theme from Rawhide in the car.

They have no idea Carrie Fischer is in the movie. Can't wait for them to be like "whoa! That's Princess Leia!" (notice my avatar from Halloween a few years ago)

Yeah, with a flame thrower and a machine gun, LoL.

#25 4 months ago

The more money you spend, the better a game plays, simple as that.

#26 4 months ago

While I agree that P-C'd games have a better feel/look (all four of our machines are P-C'd and our Zilla and AIQ premiums definitely feel more like LEs because of it), I've played premiums and pros that were PC'd and they simply look and feel like they are made of cheaper materials. None of this makes objective sense, of course, but it does make me wonder. Placebo effect?
I know a pinsider with an awesome game room who P-Cs all his games, mods them to perfection and puts in high-end audio components. Yet, when I played his Bond pro I thought the PF and plastics looked/felt lower quality from our LE. I don't pretend to have an answer to the OP's question. I only have the same question...

It’s all in your head. I’ve been intimate with pros, premiums, LEs, there all the same parts except for the very specific differences called out in the feature matrix.

#27 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The more money you spend, the better a game plays, simple as that.

But.. I didn't spend anything? They were all on freeplay lol. Same room decor, design, flooring, leg feet and games were 10' from eachother. Anywho, I'm fairly convinced the difference starts with the factory powder coat and there may be some small cabinet differences that Stern doesn't disclose.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Seriously. It’s the powder coat

I'm thinking this is largely it. Do you know if you aftermarket powder coat, will it provide a similar feel and experience to a LE?

#28 4 months ago
Quoted from superNoid:

But.. I didn't spend anything? They were all on freeplay lol. Same room decor, design, flooring, leg feet and games were 10' from eachother. Anywho, I'm fairly convinced the difference starts with the factory powder coat and there may be some small cabinet differences that Stern doesn't disclose.

I'm thinking this is largely it. Do you know if you aftermarket powder coat, will it provide a similar feel and experience to a LE?

I had a GOT premium that I got powder coated and it felt way more solid afterwards. I went to a motorcycle shop to have it done.

#29 4 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I had a GOT premium that I got powder coated and it felt way more solid afterwards. I went to a motorcycle shop to have it done.

How much did that cost? If you don't mind sharing.

#30 4 months ago

It's not like you don't know what is inside a LE game vs premium/pro. It's exactly the same core parts. You think Stern is special building these games? Lol no. If there was anything they would certainly be advertising it to sell more LE's.

#31 4 months ago
Quoted from superNoid:

How much did that cost? If you don't mind sharing.

It was a while ago. But all the hinges rails, legs and coin door was like $275

#32 4 months ago

If You like the way the LEs play You should try a CE,those suckers play by themselves.

#33 4 months ago

I have have/had Stern Pros and Premiums, and have temp traded and/or gotten extensive time on single LEs in private settings. They play exactly the same.

HOWEVER, it is my experience that well kept games in public locations play better than games in private collections. Something about getting worn in/dialed in that makes them play smoother/better/faster. People that have LEs on location tend to be on average much more likely to take excellent care of their pins.

#34 4 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have have/had Stern Pros and Premiums, and have temp traded and/or gotten extensive time on single LEs in private settings. They play exactly the same.
HOWEVER, it is my experience that well kept games in public locations play better than games in private collections. Something about getting worn in/dialed in that makes them play smoother/better/faster. People that have LEs on location tend to be on average much more likely to take excellent care of their pins.

Hmm. I’ve never played a pin on location anywhere that plays as well as well as my home games. There is always something that should work better, be maintained, or be dialed in more. And to be expected, I don’t expect an operator to match my anal retention with my own games.

#35 4 months ago

I think the powdered trim does something to make it feel better

#36 4 months ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I think the powdered trim does something to make it feel better

Its almost like the clear coat transfers kinetic energy softer than the wrinkle finish on the Stern pro/prem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 14.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New York, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

$ 23.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

11,100 (OBO)
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ChainsawMods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-stern-le-feels-butter-smooth-quiet-compared-to-premium-pro?hl=meadows22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.