Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 days ago by gambit3113
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pulp Fiction or Elton John? ”

• Pulp Fiction 39 votes
      49%
    • Elton John 41 votes
      51%

(80 votes)

#1 35 days ago

Ive played a ton of new pins and these both have stuck with me the most. There both incredible, my only thing with pulp would the lack of modern features and the old school layout get boring over time. But since it wouldn't be my only pin i think it would be fun to go back to after playing modern stuff. But god damn Elton John is easily the best JJP ive ever played and it was just so damn fun regardless of who made it. The layout, shots, light show etc... But i also have heavy nostalgia for pulp fiction. Any advice I already have 7 modern sterns would pulp make a good contrast pin or should i just go elton since its so cool?

#2 35 days ago

I don’t know how deep the pulp code is, but the playfield is limited, so take that into consideration. Elton will be deeper, and a bigger wow factor imo probably making it last longer in a collection. I never thought I would say that about an Elton themed pin either, but it has a wow factor

#3 35 days ago

In your case Elton if money does not matter. It plays great. I voted for pulp cause I would lose man points.

#4 35 days ago

Elton. I know pulp is the flavor of the week but I think it would
    Get old pretty quick.

#5 35 days ago

I don't need "modern features."
    Looking forward to PF this summer.

#6 35 days ago

So I popped on pinside and low a behold a thread that is right in line with my views as well. So I Went to TPF for the first time with the me wanting to play an Elton John and Pulp Fiction. Those two were waying heavy on the mind. I played them both and and I love Pulp with the retro layout, callouts and price. Elton was an absolutely gorgeous and great flowing game but price is steep! But being a JJP buyer multiple times it is definitely worth it! The Ritchie brothers really know what they are doing! But as much as I like Elton John and his music I don’t think I could listen to it all the time in the background so I went with a Pulp. No wrong decision either way. Just what you’re into.

#7 35 days ago

Played both on location a number of times and if $ no object, EJ

If stretching for 8k then easy IMO-PF

4k + tax saving depending how bought

I LOVE PF, favorite movie of all time & call outs are the best. For my home and family (3 generations of Sam Jackson fans) Nobody has the f-bomb “flow” like he does and if you have family and friends play at home then it will be more than entertaining.

I am personally looking forward to buying / trading for both on used market.

#8 34 days ago

Specially *you* should go with the Elton !

It seems that you do not like EE pinball really and love the "past 2000" games.
    You will be bored from PF even it has LED and multiballs

I collect for more than 20 years pins, mainly at least DMD machines BUT for some month I feel in love with a Williams Cosmic Gunfight from 1981.
    I really enjoy this game. 2 Weeks ago I bought a PF and love this game .... because I am so happy for month with the old Sys7.
    I have also Alien, TBL, TAF, all Capcom, all Alvin G but played for moth the Cosmic and now the PF.

So your way should be the EJ ... maybe in some years you also find fun on oldschool pins, than you are also ready for PF. Right now is EJ,

#9 34 days ago

I like both however PF is more fun to me! Also a much better value. I’ve been playing a regular version for the last two weeks and absolutely love it. Can’t get enough of the game. It’s a real challenge and a lot of fun.

#10 34 days ago

I'm definitely in the minority that loves the theme for both pins. I'm thankful to not have the money or space to choose either.

#11 34 days ago

You’re too Stern heavy imo

Sell a Stern and get PF and EJ

(Disclaimer I haven’t played PF yet but looks fun)

#12 34 days ago

Pulp Fiction. The layout is more creative, the code is more fun (and funny), and it's cheaper.

#13 34 days ago

sell your turtles and get both

#14 34 days ago
    Quoted from pascal-pinball:

sell your turtles and get both

I’d sell one of the Elwins, personally, and get both PF and EJ. I’ve also got seven pins and have stuck to two Elwins max because it’s good to have variety.

I’d definitely consider branching out from 100% Spike 2 Sterns unless you’ve played a *lot* of other pins of different eras on location, and hate them all.

Certainly, if you don’t like classics (80s-era pins like Centaur, Fathom, etc.), don’t consider Pulp Fiction. It plays like a 80s pin designed for Bally-Williams fans.

#15 33 days ago
    Quoted from Veemonroe:

It plays like a 80s pin designed for Bally-Williams fans.

Am I the only one who felt the modern touches in this game, and would not consider it to be like those- sure there are layout cues that are in common with the bally SS, but this game does a lot more- locking the balls and them spilling out of the briefcase, I thought this played like solid state plus, and in a good way.

#16 33 days ago

Pulp Fiction is going to fit in great in a multi-pin lineup and be something I think will be bolted to the floor in those collections, as it scratches an itch all on its own. EJ is likely the safer choice for a small lineup or only-pin situation. I wouldn't expect EJ to be something that is as locked into a collection as PF in those situations.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pulp-fiction-or-elton-john- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.