(Topic ID: 353170)

Popeye Upper PF

By Blackngold19

47 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b508d9965aaeceb92e5fb8834b58adfa8922fbf4.png (resized).jpg
    17101740446551855318895375878387 (resized).jpg
    20240311_121104 (resized).jpg
    #1 47 days ago

Hey Pinsiders. Replaced switch 88. Work looks good. I double checked it. The switch lug orientation and soldering looks good. The switch is still showing as closed in the single switch test. Not sure where to go next. Any advice on troubleshooting this rollover switch would be appreciated.

Thank you

17101740446551855318895375878387 (resized).jpg17101740446551855318895375878387 (resized).jpg20240311_121104 (resized).jpg20240311_121104 (resized).jpg
    #2 47 days ago

Does it work in Tests - Switch Edge ? Try a factory reset ? Remove connector for it from CPU - if you still have the error it's a board/CPU issue. Check row and column switches it is on for shorts to switch wiring, then rest of the switch matrix. Remove wires from switch and tape them so the don't short to anything - still have it ? Check under upper playfield and between back box and cabinet for shorts.

LTG : )

#3 47 days ago

I just restarted the machine and now all I get is switch 12 buy in error not check switch 88?

#4 47 days ago

I go into switch edge test and I'm not sure how to get to switch 88. Looks like I'm stuck on D6, D7, D8?

#5 47 days ago
    Quoted from Blackngold19:

I go into switch edge test and I'm not sure how to get to switch 88.

Tests - Switch Edge - hit any switch, see what reports on the DMD to learn what to see. Then try switch #88.

#6 47 days ago

I just restarted the machine and now all I get is switch 12 buy in error not check switch 88?

Switch 88 might now be working. Buy in switch, hit it. That should clear it.

#7 47 days ago

You mean manually trigger the switch?

#8 47 days ago

Yes just hit the buy in it will clear it ,my game will do that too ,it switches don’t get use for a while it will show up on the DMD

#9 47 days ago

Yes the buy in button it will go away the dot

#10 47 days ago

Yes. That is what they invented fingers or balls for.

Quoted from Williampinball:

switches don’t get use for a while it will show up on the DMD

This. Ten games or 30 balls if a switch isn't hit it gets flagged as an error. Doesn't necessarily mean it's broken.

#11 47 days ago

Lmao. Switch 88 is not registering at all. Maybe I goofed it? Switch 81, which is the other exit Switch on the upper playfield is registering but not rebounding.

#12 47 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Yes. That is what they invented fingers or balls for.

This. Ten games or 30 balls if a switch isn't hit it gets flagged as an error. Doesn't necessarily mean it's broken.

Yes very true my does that all the time even when I don’t get too use the upper PF it will show up lol

#13 47 days ago

Switch 88 isn't showing up on the initial test report either.

#14 47 days ago

Maybe I goofed it?

Your new switch and wiring look right. Check row and column it's on for a broken wire at another switch. Then check each wire for continuity back to the CPU.

#15 47 days ago

Continuity back to the CPU. You're really testing my minimal skills here.

#16 47 days ago

You're really testing my minimal skills here.

Nobody knows everything. Fortunately you have lots of resources to help you learn. Youtube has lots of short how to videos, search for how to check continuity with a meter. Might even find one with your meter. ( assuming you have one )

Take your meter, set it to ohm or diode check. Touch the two probes together, see what the meter says. Now kind of do the same thing. One probe on the white wire and what ever colored stripe on the switch, the other probe on the wire at the CPU. Same reading as before ? Then check the green wire. If not, you have a break from the switch to the CPU.

Then check the switch matrix in your manual. See the row and column the switch is on. Check those other switches for a broken wire.

#17 47 days ago

I tested switch 81. Even though it doesn't rebound it still click when registering. I pulled switch 88 it is not clicking during the whole switch travel. Maybe the lug is not positioned properly.

#18 47 days ago

Switch 88 works when I remove it from the lug. Brain can't figure out lug orientation

#19 47 days ago

When I connect the lug it's off a tad for necessary travel. Had the same problem with animal ramp switch.

#20 47 days ago

Brain can't figure out lug orientation

Here you go.

If switch don't click it's probably bad.

b508d9965aaeceb92e5fb8834b58adfa8922fbf4.png (resized).jpgb508d9965aaeceb92e5fb8834b58adfa8922fbf4.png (resized).jpg
    #21 47 days ago

No the switches are clicking fine. The switch lug when connected to the switch is just off by a hair and not allowing enough travel for switch activation.

#22 47 days ago

The switch lug when connected to the switch is just off by a hair and not allowing enough travel for switch activation.

Loosen screws and adjust switch body. Or adjust the arm of the switch.

#23 47 days ago

I fixed it. Just kept working it while in test mode. Now I have to hit the wimpy exit switch. 50 million does register when you find swee pea.

#24 47 days ago

Thanks for your help LTG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-upper-pf- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.