(Topic ID: 270762)

Polish mylar or do I dare to remove on Fathom?

By Pinballark

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200613_134916 (resized).jpg
IMG_5128 (resized).JPG
IMG_5129 (resized).JPG
20200612_145348 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi

The surface at my centaur looked "fresh" and was no problem to remove for a clearcoat, but on my Fathom the colors under the mylar seems poor and sproud..picture shows the worst part, befor repainted.

I guess they are both painted by the same technique, but maybe my Fathom has been stored different for the past years.

So, if I keep the mylar does anyone have tips on how to refresh the mylar-surface?

Thanks

20200612_145348 (resized).jpg20200612_145348 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

I would keep the mylar, get some plastic polish typically found in a headlight restore kit and use that with a handheld powered orbital polisher.

#3 3 years ago

My Fathom came with ugly mylar that had been applied over a few small areas of missing paint and ball swirl marks. Tried some polish on a small spot but no luck. Besides the missing paint and swirl marks, there were some places where the mylar wasn't sticking (bubbles). I removed the mylar and couldn't be happier. I am just starting to polish and wax the playfield. It should come out beautifully. I haven't decided if I want to apply new mylar after I clean up the playfield. Just saying, removing the mylar was the best thing I could have done! See the before and after mylar removal pics.

IMG_5129 (resized).JPGIMG_5129 (resized).JPGIMG_5128 (resized).JPGIMG_5128 (resized).JPG
#4 3 years ago

The heat method works better on this playfield. Freeze spray not good.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

The heat method works better on this playfield. Freeze spray not good.

I used freeze spray and it worked perfectly.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballark:

Hi
The surface at my centaur looked "fresh" and was no problem to remove for a clearcoat, but on my Fathom the colors under the mylar seems poor and sproud..picture shows the worst part, befor repainted.
I guess they are both painted by the same technique, but maybe my Fathom has been stored different for the past years.
So, if I keep the mylar does anyone have tips on how to refresh the mylar-surface?
Thanks
[quoted image]

In your picture, the pin doesn’t appear to have mylar?

Looks like the natural playfield ...

rd

#7 3 years ago

There is no mylar on this spot, just to show how the quality is. Small chappy cracks here at the top, but looks fine where the mylar is...that makes me worried if it might be just as dry and brittle paint, that rather sticks to the mylar when I heat or freeze it off...and the method i need to use to remove the sticky glue after...

I decided to put a playfield protector, so I made my own and its fine, but I know how beautiful my centaur is with the clearcoated pf...that wants me to have fathom the same.
Well...thanks for the answers, I might give it a try later on.

20200613_134916 (resized).jpg20200613_134916 (resized).jpg
#8 3 years ago

Looks good ... leave it alone and buff it up.

Use a drill buffer and 3M car polishing compound. Comes up great.

rd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polish-mylar-or-do-i-dare-to-remove-on-fathom?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.