(Topic ID: 6670)

Point inflation during the 90's

By FlipperMagician

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I now have three 90's machines, spanning just 4 years. Radical! from 1990, Black Rose from 1992, and Demolition Man from 1994. The difference in the point system is crazy. I had noticed this awhile back when shopping for games, but it really hit me when they were all in the same room together.

On Radical my top score to date is 23 million, Black Rose 275 million, and Demo Man 1.5 billion. I also expect higher scores on DM as I get it working like it should.

So, did Bally/Williams just decide that the points needed to increase with the value of the dollar? The millions just seem to be thrown at you left and right on later games vs. earlier games.

Though I'm sure this has been discussed before, I was very taken by the thought of this just now, anyone else?

#2 12 years ago

There definitely was an era of upping the ante in the points department in the 90s, but it didn't start there. EMs had good scores in the thousands, and later SS pins began to see scores in the hundreds of thousands, then came the million, and the system 11's had million point shots. This continued onto the era you discussed and into today, with IM having a One Hundred Million "Do or Die" shot. Have to keep upping the ante to keep the players satisfied I guess.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

This continued onto the era you discussed and into today, with IM having a One Hundred Million "Do or Die" shot. Have to keep upping the ante to keep the players satisfied I guess.

There was excitement over players being able to have a 1m shot. Also there is BOP's "Billionaire club" feature.

#4 12 years ago

It was a ploy, and it worked. I recall playing TAF when it came out, and there was a major spike to this machine from previous ones, and I thought, “wow, I’m really good at this, I can score 50m no prob”. 50m being quite a crappy score in actuality.

#5 12 years ago

I get a kick out of Congo and NGG sitting next to each other. Congo high: 1.7 Billion. NGG 70 million!!!

#6 12 years ago

Jack Bot seems to take it to a pretty rediculous level, scoring everything in millions, next to Pin Bot, the lowest score on Jack would be better than the highest on Pin.

#7 12 years ago

Doesn't NBA Fastbreak only score by "real" nba points, so 1, 2 or 3?

#8 12 years ago

Yeah I'm not a big fan of getting 20M for plunging the ball.

I like modern Stern scoring actually - and they've been pretty consistent throughout the years.

#9 12 years ago

I like the huge scores I make in No Fear!
    Its hell for me to make 100 Million in Spider-Man but I enjoy that pursuit too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/point-inflation-during-the-90s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.