Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fp1.JPG
wc2.jpg
wc_-_Copy.jpg
IMG_3524.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I just played the (standard) Wizard of Oz pinball at Moe's BBQ in Denver, CO. Here's my review:

I found it a bit expensive at $1 per play, but it certainly didn't keep me from playing. I think I put about $50 into it over the course of a couple of hours. I'm not sure this is a price I'd be willing to pay for the long term. It was my first time, so for today, my excitement exceeded my restraint.

As many others have stated, this is a beautiful game. The multicolor LEDs were amazing, I was totally blown away by the lighting effects. I think Metallica and Tron are both gorgeous playfields, but WOZ is simply on a different level. In my view, this plus the LCD has set the bar for pinball aesthetics very high, and I think future DMD games will look very dated by comparison.

The game is very fun, with lots of different things to do around the playfield. Unfortunately, I did not find that this game to be very self-explanatory. I was somewhat disappointed by this. I thought that the integration of the LCD would make it much easier for programmers to make the ruleset very easy to understand and follow.

I found to game to be quite difficult. The modes that I was able to figure out were still quite difficult to complete. I think this bodes very well for my long-term enjoyment of this game.

The most irritating this I encountered was that the ball kept getting stuck. On one occasion, the ball got stuck under the flipper on the left upper playfield. It was so stuck that the ball search could not release it. Even tilting the machine did not release the ball. Ultimately, the machine got stuck in TILT mode, and I had to (with permission) turn the machine off, back on, put another dollar in, then constantly flip the flippers while tilting the machine as much as I dared to finally release the ball. The ball got stuck a couple of other times, particularly behind the house toy, such that the ball search would not release the ball.

Of the $50 I put into the machine, $5 worth of games were ruined by the balls getting stuck requiring me to TILT or reset the machine. The bartender at the location would not refund my money, despite initially offering to do so. When I went back to ask for a refund, he blew me off.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience with WOZ. It has a few issues that I hope can be ironed out, but I will be rating it very highly.

IMG_3524.jpgIMG_3524.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Glad your initial experience with WOZ was a positive one despite a few problems. Interesting that I've never heard mention of the ball getting stuck in that place before, wonder if it's just a simple flipper mis-alignment issue on this particular machine?

#3 10 years ago

I'm betting its a machine leveling problem as in the machine has a lean to the right or is set at such a small slope that the game plays floaty like some older EM's do. Check to see if the leg levelers are raised in the back and lowered in the front.

#4 10 years ago

Id agree with dg and grav. I've never seen a ball get stuck there. Either out of level or the flipper needs a bit of adjustment to go higher on travel.

#5 10 years ago

Great feedback on the machine. I agree with others about the machine being out of level. I've played several different WOZ machines, dozens of games on one and have never seen a ball get stuck behind the upper left flipper.

#6 10 years ago

I've seen guys at Ltg's be really aggressive with the machine and they didn't trigger the tilt. I thought ltg even said there was no tilt?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I've seen guys at Ltg's be really aggressive with the machine and they didn't trigger the tilt. I thought ltg even said there was no tilt?

There's definitely a tilt. The one at Moosejaw was set pretty tight when we were there.

#8 10 years ago

$1 to play?!?!?! See this is why arcades are dying or died. Many games cost $1 or more to play and you can easily spend $20 in less than a half and hour when you have kids around. Sega's Gameworks and Dave and Busters games are way overpriced. Sure there are people that can easily spend $50 and that's ok for them. It's definitely not stopping people to put money on the cards and go.

Even so it seems as though in WoOZ the balls can stay in play longer than most tables from what i've seen on videos. I haven't played one yet so I can't judge. Even if I find one here in the Phoenix area, I'm reluctant to put $1 to play the table.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfan69:

$1 to play?!?!?! See this is why arcades are dying or died. Many games cost $1 or more to play and you can easily spend $20 in less than a half and hour when you have kids around. Sega's Gameworks and Dave and Busters games are way overpriced. Sure there are people that can easily spend $50 and that's ok for them. It's definitely not stopping people to put money on the cards and go.
Even so it seems as though in WoOZ the balls can stay in play longer than most tables from what i've seen on videos. I haven't played one yet so I can't judge. Even if I find one here in the Phoenix area, I'm reluctant to put $1 to play the table.

The machine costs nearkly 8k, I think $1 is fair.

#10 10 years ago

It could be worse! You could feed $20 bucks into one of those grapple machines in 5 minutes trying to win your kid a 50 cent stuffed animal... Wouldn't you rather play pinball with the little rug rats

#11 10 years ago

$1 to play?!?!?! See this is why arcades are dying or died. ...

Even if I find one here in the Phoenix area, I'm reluctant to put $1 to play the table.

The $1 doesn't bother me.... Hell, popcorn and a soda at the movies costs $12-13,,..

The fact that the proprietor wouldn't refund your money on a malfunction DOES bug the shit out of me though....

#12 10 years ago

I am not a good player, but I definitely have longer ball times on each of the other games I played this weekend: Metallica, MM and Funhouse. On WOZ, I had the shortest ball times of all, and there was no gimmee restarts for an early drain.

However, (I wished I had mentioned this in my original post), WOZ has the most entertaining outlanes I've ever seen. "There's no place like home" mode to the left, and "Toto" mode to the right. i found them both nearly impossible, but interesting. I really hope this becomes a signature of JJP games, as I think it is a significant idea in the history of pinball.

#13 10 years ago

That wireform doesn't quite look right. Was the ball resting against the end of the wire? Or is that just a reflection from the ball? If someone that has a game could take a look to see if that is normal and what is up with it.

#14 10 years ago

I was looking at mine & that one has what looks to be too long ends on the wire form. Must be a prototype.

#15 10 years ago

Yeah, the metalwork doesn't look to be production.

wc_-_Copy.jpgwc_-_Copy.jpg

#16 10 years ago

Yeah now that I look at it. I don't know what that metal looking bracket is. May be a proto as others have said or some type of operator fix? Not sure.

#17 10 years ago

The biff bar behind the flipper appears to be missing. Maybe the operator did a fix to keep the ball from falling off the upper playfield.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The biff bar behind the flipper appears to be missing. Maybe the operator did a fix to keep the ball from falling off the upper playfield.

Possibly? I've never had mine fall off before?

#19 10 years ago

Odd. I went back to some photos as old as May 2012 and I don't see that metal piece in any of them. However I could've sworn I've seen it before - must have been in video of this particular pin.

But no, I can see the bar. It's still there. But it does look maybe like it's hung up between the bar and the flared end of the wireform.

wc2.jpgwc2.jpg

#20 10 years ago

I played the WOZ at two separate locations and didn't see the game have any problems at an expo I went to and the glass wasn't off once..the ball occassionly got gently hung up at the lower left outlanes on a piece of metal edge. the game was amazing in all aspects , lighting , backglass , artwork , quality , and technology ( update via USB ) , better sound , innovative..etc the quality of the build is exceptional, the amount of toys , flippers , upper playfields ,it is the same price point as sterns LE versions that lack in quality and attention to detail . This game is the future of pinball displayed for all to appreciate..... with all of that , a buck for that game seems like a bargain , would you feel better if it was 75cents and you kept plunking in quarters and asking the bar tender for more quarters to play,,,get with the times, quarters and tokens are so yesterday , that badboy takes credit cards.......wozzzuupp

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Possibly? I've never had mine fall off before?

I meant that maybe it never had a bar installed and the operator did something to make do.
Just speculating.

#22 10 years ago

What is the purpose of the right upper flipper on the lower playfield? I couldn't ever figure out what it was supposed to do. I can't see the ball fast enough coming out from under the upper playfield to time a shot. Usually, I would hit it late, and the ball would drain down the left outlane. Is this just a design error, or am I missing something?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

What is the purpose of the right upper flipper on the lower playfield? I couldn't ever figure out what it was supposed to do. I can't see the ball fast enough coming out from under the upper playfield to time a shot. Usually, I would hit it late, and the ball would drain down the left outlane. Is this just a design error, or am I missing something?

The magnet above the right flipper probably has not been programmed fully yet.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I think the upper right flipper on the lower playfield will primarily be used for various witch battles which haven't been programmed into the game fully. The magnet should setup the shot similar to how it is done in Rollergames and Elvis. The only thing the flipper is really useful for currently is the skill shot or for holding up to collect the HOADC collect, but hopefully it will become much more useful in time..

#25 10 years ago

Must be a prototype.

fp1.JPGfp1.JPG

#26 10 years ago

50 bucks on WOZ in one sitting? I thought i had a problem

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

13,000 (OBO)
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

11,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, SC
$ 16.95
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/played-woz-in-the-wild-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.