(Topic ID: 65510)

Played ACDC pro on route and wasnt impressed, despite all the positive fanfare.

By Rickwh

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PussInBoots1.gif
#1 10 years ago

First off i want to say that the location (tilted kilt in Morgantown, WV) isnt the ideal pinball env. Its loud there, and i could barely hear the game. But ill try to keep my comments focused on that particular game itself, not the env...

-Ramps were easy to make. Plastic, but wider and less steep than my Met pro. Very smooth
-game was clean
-No burnt out lights to speak of.
-lots of good flow as long as i kept it out of right ramp (broken cannon).
-lots of pop bumper action
-layout seemed to prevent frequent SDTM drains.

Dislikes:
-Biggest issue by far was a non rotating cannon. Pretty much sucked lifeout of game. Ball would stick in cannon and eventually ball finder would kick it out and continue down the ramp.
-with cannon parked/stuck, dmd is yelling at me to press fire button... But fire button does nothing.
-All but one lightning bolt plastic were broken off.
-not a fan of the huge face dominating the center pf. Has to be something better to cover up the window for the lower playfield on the le/prem.
-the leds in the papa videos with the premium/le table seem to make this game look so much better.

So bottom line is that i had high expectations for some awesome pin time with one of the few tables in my general area. And the condition of this particular acdc pro did not impress. I will definitely seek out an opportunity to play another machine down the road though. It must be better for all the positive reviews ive read here on pinside.

#2 10 years ago

I've played this a few dozen times and can't really get into it. Also in a loud place where I can't hear much. Have a really hard time controlling the ball and feel like I'm just watching it bounce around at top speeds while hoping it doesn't drain. It doesn't always seem very clear to me what I'm supposed to be doing.

My guess is that it gets better the more time you spend with it? Maybe the depth is there but only if you understand what is going on.

#3 10 years ago

It's pretty lame compared to some of the other sterns, but it's still nice to play ever now and then. Although it looks pretty cool in a lineup. Mine prem just collects dust most of the time. It's not that good, but it's not that bad to take a loss on.

I think Richie games are grossly overrated anyway. Borg is a much better designer.

#4 10 years ago

A review based on a broken game isn't worth much.

#5 10 years ago

Try playing a working premium. After playing one game of a beat to crap one at pinball HoF in Vegas last winter and going meh, I played a like-new premium at a fellow Pinsider's last Sunday. As of noon yesterday, I own one Night and day difference.

#6 10 years ago

I have played a working premium in a private collection, and I feel the same way, but I've been afraid to say anything!

Grains of salt to take this with:

- I'm not an AC/DC fan
- I have only played ~5-10 games on it
- Also I didn't fully understand what was going on

I love fast pins, the light show and I liked the flow of the game! It's just not my cup of tea. I can see why other people like it though, and if I had all the space/money in the world I wouldn't mind having one. The theme is well integrated, the bell and the cannon are cool toys, and the Hell lower play field is a really neat/humorous implementation.

Like everyone is saying though, I believe the Premium is worth much more than the Pro on this pin. In some pins it's not as drastic of a difference, but without the lower playfield, the blinding LED's and the moving bell, and the subtracted bonus of having Angus Young's duck face in the middle of the playfield make me want to steer completely clear of the pro.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

A review based on a broken game isn't worth much.

LOL

You ain't never lied.

#8 10 years ago

I don't think anyone ever said the game would be awesome even if the major toy did not work and the fire button was broken.

#9 10 years ago

I played a really nice AC/DC Pro on route a few days ago. It played crazy fast and was a lot of fun. I wouldn't own one, but I'll definitely drop in a few dollars anytime I see a nice one on location.

Sorry to hear your location pin sucked, but hey, at least it was the Tilted Kilt. Hope you got to stay for a beer and a letch.

#10 10 years ago

I have a heavily modded huo ac/dc pro and I absolutely love it. That being said however I'm in the market for the Premium. While the pro version is great....the premium is just phenomenal.

#11 10 years ago

Is this place for real ? Oh Pinside .

#12 10 years ago

but I've been afraid to say anything!

Dont be afraid, everyone on here is a puss anyways...

PussInBoots1.gifPussInBoots1.gif

#13 10 years ago

I was thinking the fire button wasnt broken just isnt enabled by software until cannon "deploys". Any acdc owners out there have any comments if that is the case. I was thinking the op had disabled the cannon after the lightning bolt plastics got demolished...

#14 10 years ago

My first acdc play was a pro fresh on location. It was awesome.

I played the same machine about 4-5 months later. It wasn't awesome anymore.

Sad that a machine that is built and sold to play on locations doesn't hold up better.... Sad that ops obviously think these machines are everlasting gob stoppers.

#15 10 years ago

There are 27 AC/DC Pins for sale on Mr. pinball with Pros asking as low as 3k. This is the most pins for any title. There seems to be a good sized group that does like the game.

#16 10 years ago

of course the one for $3000 is clearly labeled as a scam and the majority of the rest are either older than three months, LE's or premiums.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

My first acdc play was a pro fresh on location. It was awesome.

I played the same machine about 4-5 months later. It wasn't awesome anymore.

Sad that a machine that is built and sold to play on locations doesn't hold up better.... Sad that ops obviously think these machines are everlasting gob stoppers.

My pro has been out 4 or 5 months and it's still playing just fine. AC/DC pro is a relatively easy game to maintain. The only complicated part is the cannon. You shouldn't assume they all fall apart after a few months. Properly maintained, 4 months is nothing.

If the cannon is broken for more than 2 weeks in any location, you likely don't have a good operator. Did the original poster report the cannon as not working? They don't fix themselves.

#18 10 years ago

I did not report it. I didnt see any operator contact info on the machine. And im not about to complain to a kilt chick about a broken pinball toy.... Haha

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I was thinking the fire button wasnt broken just isnt enabled by software until cannon "deploys". Any acdc owners out there have any comments if that is the case. I was thinking the op had disabled the cannon after the lightning bolt plastics got demolished...

I bet the fire button wasn't plugged in. Just like the old tournament buttons mounted in the lockbars, they need to be unplugged any time the glass is removed...

#20 10 years ago

funny played ac/dc premium last week at an arcade.
couldn't see the robot from hell under the fog.
ball couldn't reach the juke box from the shooter lane almost every time.
some drop targets wouldn't go down.
was never cleaned since they got it (one year ago).

#21 10 years ago

Game is broken. On route. Can't hear the sound.

Of course you're not going to like it.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from jasonpaulbauer:

I bet the fire button wasn't plugged in. Just like the old tournament buttons mounted in the lockbars, they need to be unplugged any time the glass is removed...

Not on ACDC. There's a leaf switch under the button. You can take the bar off without unplugging anything.

#23 10 years ago

too each there own...AcDc does nothing for me also but love the band.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/played-acdc-pro-on-route-and-wasnt-impressed-despite-all-the-positive-fanfare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.