(Topic ID: 71730)

Pinside PSA: saying "refake" outs you as a clown.

By pezpunk

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by JoeJet
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

you had me at.jpg
    I_see_nothing!.jpg
    BBats 003.jpg
    th.jpeg
    more you know.jpg
    images.jpeg
    tumblr_kzfp5a5g2y1qa0uujo1_500.jpg
    Ronald on the Bench 2 RMH Cleveland.jpg
    baboon-facepalm.gif
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReplayRyan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have not used it, but I actually think the term "refake" is pretty accurate in this case., describing a remade product that is not really identical to the original.

What's happened to you man? Did you find a cheap MM and are holding out on us?

I think posting a "PSA" on a forum is way more annoying than someone saying refake. Heck I think commonly used words (here) like minty, noobish, shazaam, ePay, etc. are worse.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

If MM14 is a refake so are a bunch of HEP games out there. Those use after market cabinets, after market play fields, tons of after market parts. The only difference between a HEP and an MM14 is the personal touch and HEP's ability to go above and beyond. PPS is shooting for originality, HEP's goal is to be better than original, but both games are far from original.
    Funny, no two original MM's are exactly the same. No two of ANY pinball machine are exactly the same. It was common for different manufacturers to supply parts, play fields etc during the build process at Williams. Colors on the play field, clearcoat, just ask CPR about the challenge of trying to get their holes to line up right (especially on their WW play fields). The differences were substantial in some cases. There are tons of variations. PPS is just making another.
    Re-fake? bullshit.

Man, you have to give Chris (HEP) more credit than that. He doesn't just swap cabinets and playfields. That guy is a master artist and can restore original parts to like new in ways that most people (myself included) don't even understand. You can say a touched up/restored section of a playfield is not original, but the fact that the rest of the playfield (and other parts of the machine) is original means a LOT to the kind of people that shell out the big bucks for this service.

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

This has to be the least of my concerns if I was in on buying one of these (which I am not). Do you still use your computer that was made in 1997? How about that TV from back in the late 90's.
    Technology has gotten better and they have been able to make boards smaller that can out perform those from 10 years ago. Let me guess you are one of those guys that still uses the 1st bulky cell phones that came out right? No way you would but a iPhone or any smart phone cause its soooo much smaller that it must be worse!

FYI, coin-op technology has mostly regressed since the 90s. Stuff is made smaller and cheaper yes, but it fails quicker and is often very hard to fix or costly to replace -- because where else are you going to get those parts except from the manufacturer/distributor?

And yes, Chicago Gaming is one of them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReplayRyan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-psa-using-the-term-refake-outs-you-as-a-clown?tu=ReplayRyan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.