Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by metahugh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_m6yvhgBLnG1qk8zxso1_250.gif
    thumbs_up.gif
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

PS is a snail...

I know its not the computer, other sites rip...

Is there a server issue...

thanks
    Gerry

#2 10 years ago

I have noticed this too. Robin, is storage drive filling up?

#3 10 years ago

donate!

#4 10 years ago

Pinside is running like a drunk turtle, but whether it be a server hardware issue, software/database issue, or Internet bottleneck to and from the server, Robin will get it sorted out.

Just gotta be patient...and maybe not keep starting threads about it.

#5 10 years ago

Pinside will get my donation in mid-July. Been buying too many machines lately and have to restock some funds haha

#6 10 years ago

Yeah, it's blazing fast for me!

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Just gotta be patient...and maybe not keep starting threads about it.

I count one thread with a few replies what am I missing? Seems worse today. If you want to see some posts, allow two weeks to go by with no comment from the Admin.

Robin are you out there? What is the situation?

#8 10 years ago

Slow for me too...some times wont load updates to read threads and says they are new. other times, not. weird. im sure itll get fixed. frustrating for sure

#9 10 years ago

It took forever for me to just load this topic to read it.

Incredibly slow since yesterday.

#10 10 years ago

Agree... and its not the :"internet": its this site.- about 2 days

#11 10 years ago

Robin said he knows about it and is working on it. It happened after he rebooted it because of updates.

#12 10 years ago

3 days very slow for me as well.

#13 10 years ago

Yea. I wasn't going to say anything, but I have noticed how slow the site is lately.
    Glad to know it's not just me.

#14 10 years ago

It was slow then I donated and its rocking!

#15 10 years ago

Still slow here, and I donated also.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

It was slow then I donated and its rocking!

nice try!

#17 10 years ago

I'm not donating again until it is blazing!

#18 10 years ago

Aware of the situation and working on a solution! But first I got to find out what the heck is causing this problem. It started after a system reboot yesterday. If you're a linux system admin and would like to offer your expertise, do PM/email me!

#19 10 years ago

Looks like you resolved the issue. What was it? Are you running MySQL? Did you have a bunch of audit stuff on or the tables needed to be optimized? Memory/file handle issues?

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Looks like you resolved the issue.

Still slow.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Looks like you resolved the issue. What was it? Are you running MySQL? Did you have a bunch of audit stuff on or the tables needed to be optimized? Memory/file handle issues?

Not for me...

Still Sllllllooooooowwwwwww.

#22 10 years ago

yea, but it's faster than it was the other day IMO, and I was getting all kinds of SQL errors like the database was going offline. So things appear to have improved a little bit.

I'm thinking traffic is just catching up with the system... This is the bad side of such a fancy, dynamically-generated site. It can't easily scale up to match increased traffic. I'd try to cache stuff more, but it's going to be hard for a site like Pinside that has so much customized content everywhere.

#23 10 years ago

If I'm not mistaken the hosting has been upgraded multiple times in the past year to keep up with traffic. This is the type of problem everyone dreams of needing to solve (too many visitors), but until Robin gets ahead of the curve it will continue to spring up.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

If I'm not mistaken the hosting has been upgraded multiple times in the past year to keep up with traffic. This is the type of problem everyone dreams of needing to solve (too many visitors), but until Robin gets ahead of the curve it will continue to spring up.

Well, it depends upon the nature of the traffic and whether or not it helps pay the bills. You can create a ton of traffic and not see a penny from it, and that's far from a "dream" people want to have. This may be traffic-related. It may also be database-related. The system could be hitting some kind of bottleneck.

I've dealt with web sites that have had tens of thousands of users on them simultaneously. So, 300+ in the context of a normal web site isn't really a lot, but in the context of this site and how richly dynamic it is, it's probably very resource-intensive. There comes a point where it no longer becomes economical to beef up hardware unless revenue is coming in appropriately. Only Robin probably has those details. But my guess is the database is straining right now, and one way to fix that is to remove some of the dynamic elements. Perhaps caching poster information might help... I bet every time a user avatar is displayed those are all real-time calls to the DBs... or maybe reduce the number of messages displayed per page? There are lots of tricks to make things run a little faster when there's peak activity.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

Still slow here, and I donated also.

Donate more. Stat.

#26 10 years ago

Seems to be up and runnin' now!

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Seems to be up and runnin' now!

Slow for me all day. Still is for some things.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

I optimised the query that fetches the front page posts.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

yea, but it's faster than it was the other day IMO, and I was getting all kinds of SQL errors like the database was going offline. So things appear to have improved a little bit.
    I'm thinking traffic is just catching up with the system... This is the bad side of such a fancy, dynamically-generated site. It can't easily scale up to match increased traffic. I'd try to cache stuff more, but it's going to be hard for a site like Pinside that has so much customized content everywhere.

You hit the nail on the head. Caching is difficult because the site is so dynamic. There is basically nothing to cache!

But you are right, 400+ visitors should not make a website crawl (althugh keep in mind there a lot of non-logged in members too). I think at the moment my hardware is beefy enough, what I need now is time to work on optimisation. But that takes a lot of time. And my family also need to eat, so that means Pinside will need to generate more income allowing me to work on it in the daytime. I have been thinking about this aspect a lot but I'm not prepared to fill the Pinside with banner ads.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

I bet every time a user Avatar is displayed those are all real-time calls to the DBs... or maybe reduce the number of messages displayed per page? There are lots of tricks to make things run a little faster when there's peak activity.

Actually this is one of the things that is fairly cacheable and it does. You can try, if you make a machine rating, you will see that it takes up to 300 seconds to update the number under your name. This is one of the things that uses "short caching".

I'm gonna work on optimising queries some more, get some help form Martijn who is very knowledgeable on MySQL, do some tuning and tweaking and hopefully get the site quick again!

#29 10 years ago

Was slow for a couple days for me.
    Seems fine and fast now.

Thanks Robin!

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I optimised the query that fetches the front page posts.

You hit the nail on the head. Caching is difficult because the site is so dynamic. There is basically nothing to cache!
    But you are right, 400+ visitors should not make a website crawl (althugh keep in mind there a lot of non-logged in members too). I think at the moment my hardware is beefy enough, what I need now is time to work on optimisation. But that takes a lot of time. And my family also need to eat, so that means Pinside will need to generate more income allowing me to work on it in the daytime. I have been thinking about this aspect a lot but I'm not prepared to fill the Pinside with banner ads.

Actually this is one of the things that is fairly cacheable and it does. You can try, if you make a machine rating, you will see that it takes up to 300 seconds to update the number under your name. This is one of the things that uses "short caching".
    I'm gonna work on optimising queries some more, get some help form Martijn who is very knowledgeable on MySQL, do some tuning and tweaking and hopefully get the site quick again!

Robin,

Lets talk today. I saw a few things that are problematic with what you sent me. I will need a few logs to get to the root. Especially your I/o wait times.

#31 10 years ago

You have already identified good area to investigate with caching, and I can verify real example. When site was running slow yesterday, I noticed that the avatars that are usually shown when you quote somebody, instead were blank placeholders and they took much time before they filled in. Later when speed picked up they appeared immediately per normal. I think you are on the right track.

#32 10 years ago

You go Alex...geeks to the rescue!
    (And yes I can say that because I fall into the same category so it's not an insult!)

#33 10 years ago

Maybe people can stop posting animated gifs for no reason and pinball flyers on every post. It's ok to have nothing to add to a thread and just read it. No need for a manatee floating gif and a pinball sales flyer in every post.

#34 10 years ago

I heard some people had to actually go and play their machines due to the delays

#35 10 years ago

You're right Atomicboy. When I got home from work and Pinside was still not running correctly, I had to play my spiderman for about an hour. It was awful.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

Maybe people can stop posting animated gifs for no reason and pinball flyers on every post. It's ok to have nothing to add to a thread and just read it. No need for a manatee floating gif and a pinball sales flyer in every post.

Yep...agree. I ignored that user who was posting the flyers everywhere.
    Not sure how much the animated GIFs really impact the server, but they do get annoying

#37 10 years ago

There is an option to not autoload image that would let you avoid the annoying animated GIFs and reduce the load on the server in the process:

At the top, under Ratings and stuff
    * Forum images are enabled (Disable)

Of course, if the issue is slow SQL queries rather than a lack of bandwidth, it probably wouldn't speed the site up much.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Yep...agree. I ignored that user who was posting the flyers everywhere.
    Not sure how much the animated GIFs really impact the server, but they do get annoying

The images in posts are static content and not contributing to the slowness of site. The query for posts takes the same time whether someone puts just a . in their post or a full image url. The image itself is served statically and not from the DB so it's not the root cause of the pinside problems. At All.

Post images all day and all it does is eat harddrive space. Not causing these problems.

#39 10 years ago

Not entirely true. All uploaded images are processed by the server in various ways:
    - They are resized to be able to display inline. This takes up CPU.
    - Their metadata (like width and height) is stored in the Pinside database. This adds some insert/update queries.

I'm not saying the images are the cause of the problem, but any upload does put *some* load on the server.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Not entirely true. All uploaded images are processed by the server in various ways:
    - They are resized to be able to display inline. This takes up CPU.
    - Their metadata (like width and height) is stored in the Pinside database. This adds some insert/update queries.
    I'm not saying the images are the cause of the problem, but any upload does put *some* load on the server.

Ahh we should move the metadata out of the DB and use a native function with an fopen(read) [ i believe the function is exif_read_data if i remember]. It would be significantly faster to read height/width/exif data directly from the inode than from the db. 100x faster. If you are going to make a function call whether it be a db connection factory or other, reading direct from the FS is always faster if the data is available and doesn't need a specific reference. I'm not sure if the column for height/width is either split and is INT vs Varchar either Text blobs no bueno..

#41 10 years ago

What he said!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Ahh we should move the metadata out of the DB and use a native function with an fopen(read) [ i believe the function is exif_read_data if i remember]. It would be significantly faster to read height/width/exif data directly from the inode than from the db. 100x faster. If you are going to make a function call whether it be a db connection factory or other, reading direct from the FS is always faster if the data is available and doesn't need a specific reference. I'm not sure if the column for height/width is either split and is INT vs Varchar either Text blobs no bueno..

Quoted from shlockdoc:

I'll just put this right here...

tumblr_m6yvhgBLnG1qk8zxso1_250.giftumblr_m6yvhgBLnG1qk8zxso1_250.gif

#43 10 years ago

If yer referring to me...I've gotten MANY emails and PM's from members saying how much they love the Members Clubs and GIF's. If you don't, please feel free to put me on Ignore. (I won't be offended)

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Yea, I would offload image referencing to Apache and not the DB. That would probably improve throughput a lot. Just save references to the files instead.

Attaching animated GIFs and stuff really don't bog the server down. Those are processed by the client and limited by bandwidth and not cpu power generally.

I am thinking some MySQL my.cnf optimization is in order, as well as some streamlining of the code. But all in all, I think the site is a work of art in terms of how nice it looks. Great work!

I don't think putting a banner ad at the top or bottom would bother anybody, and you could generate a little extra recurring income.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

If yer referring to me...I've gotten MANY emails and PM's from members saying how much they love the Members Clubs and GIF's. If you don't, please feel free to put me on Ignore. (I won't be offended)

i could never ignore you - you are larger than life

Mk

#46 10 years ago

Still as slow as can be, and lots of errors.

#47 10 years ago

it was good for a few hours but now back to snails pace, along with data base errors

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

it was good for a few hours but now back to snails pace, along with data base errors

Yup!

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

i could never ignore you - you are larger than life

It's the burgers! ....

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

It's the burgers! ....

I need you at my new game room next month. I am setting up all four of the monsters for you. SS, creech, MB and BSD.

Mk

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-is-running-super-slow-what-gives-it-has-been-for-2-days and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.