4%
  • Family Guy / Shrek 16 votes
    35%
  • CSI: Crime Scene Investigation 2 votes
    4%

(46 votes)

#1 10 years ago

You know the drill... let's talk Stern!

- Monopoly: This was an interesting choice of theme. Combining the aspects of Pat's last hit title, NGG, with the board game gimmick of Safecracker may sound like a dream at first - but look past that and you've got a great game to play. While lacking in a good audiovisual package, it makes up for it by putting in great modes (Cash Grab!) and many other features that make the game worth playing.

- RollerCoaster Tycoon: Best way to describe this machine is "Monopoly 2.0". Lots of the exact same features in Monopoly are featured here, except this one eschews the board game. There's also some awesome wire forms for your pinball to travel along, with curves, drops, loops, and more. Not as fun as Monopoly but still worth it.

- Ripley's Believe It or Not: This... THIS is the game that told us Pat was still standing strong, producing Addams Family-quality work and proud of it. Lacking in toys is not necessarily a bad thing, but they put in some pretty good ones here; love the Temple on the left ramp and the Vari-target, though I wish the latter was used more often. Definitely a classic for the ages.

- NASCAR / Grand Prix: Yes! This is one of my favorite Pat Lawlor titles of all time, and for good reason. The playfield is great and flowing, the rules are near-perfect in regards with stacking (played TSPP? wait until you see a Happy Hour - Speed Shots - Hard Racing stack), the music is just beautiful, the shaker motor attracts people... seriously, there are so many good things to say about this game I can't list them all!

- Family Guy / Shrek: Haven't played either of these games yet but they look like a nice layout. While lacking the complexity of NASCAR, FG is still a very good Pat Lawlor game. The humor is excellent - even in Family Mode.

- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: This is an interesting game, so to speak. Instead of focusing on modes and stacking like many of Pat's previous titles, it focuses on three multiball modes and three "frenzy-type" features that help you boost your score during the multiballs. Initially it looked boring to me at first, but I played it at Alfredo's in York ME and I learned that it was actually kinda fun. The callouts are worth hearing

#2 10 years ago

RCT one of my all time favorite PL designs followed close by RBION.
Back in the day when Stern was cost cutting and re-theme machines I really wanted RCT and RBION to be reworked.
I believe RBION as "Avatar" would have been an instant classic.
RCT I sold after being park tycoon twice in one game...big mistake. I missed it and purchased another only to have to make room and fate took RCT from me. I will have it again some day.
RCT ranks right up there with DM for my favorite ramp game. Those ramps are crazy and the features by todays standards would make it an LE of LE's.

The later designs I felt were restricted and unfinished so I stopped ranking them after RBION. FG I believe was a step closer to what PL really wanted in a machine....cant wait to see the JJP machine.

#3 10 years ago

Ripley's is a true player. Monopoly is a solid deck as well.

Next tier down...
Family Guy / Shrek. It's a fun game with a great theme and a mini pf that plays like it should, but damn... This game gets tedious after a while. NASCAR/ Grand Prix is a fun game with a race track that takes up a whole lot of space for a gimmick. Rules need work on that one. Csi has got to be one of the most creative layouts that has a not so obvious ruleset. The tv show theme is a dud.

And finally, RCT, a fantastic layout plagued by uninspired modes, buggy software and more ball traps than every Lawlor game combined. And yeah, that "Troll" doesn't count as a pinball "toy".

I still love to play pat's games. Mr. Pawlor has the "IT" factor in his designs and even his lesser games are better than most other's best efforts. I would have loved to have seen what Wizard Blocks could have been. Now with JJP, we get to see what he has in store for us with his next design

#5 10 years ago

RBION
Monopoly
NASCAR
Shrek
CSI
RCT
FG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.95
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 12.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-poll-stern-machines-designed-by-pat-lawlor?hl=ruralcollector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.