Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 72 days ago by bluespin
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 72 days ago

Heading out on a 15 hr drive tomorrow to pick up my first machine. Since I was driving that far and had room in the van, I found a second on the map to pick up on the way back. I have looked for forum topics covering moving machines, although I haven’t found a lot of info at the first time buyer level. Would anyone have any real world advice they would be willing to share. I think I have all of the tools, wrapping/padding covered. Thanks!

#2 72 days ago

You will learn as you go along with your ventures. I dont think there is any rocket science involved. Just remember they are heavy machines and keep them dry.

#3 72 days ago

Bring towels or blankets to put between the head and the cabinet when you tilt it down. Take the legs off. Bring some tools to separate the head from the cabinet.... and to remove the legs. Socket wrench and open end wrench. I don't recall the size... bolts are 3/8 thread. Don't assume the seller has tools or will break it down for you.

#4 72 days ago

This is a good video...

#5 72 days ago

Take your time, if you are in a rush, or too amped up mistakes will be made. These machines are heavy as well as cumbersome, good tools and good lifting techniques will save you a lot of heart ache when moving them.

#6 72 days ago

I would also bring a plastic bag to put the bolts in.Also if you take the head off the pin make sure to take pictures of the connectors.Also It wouldn't hurt to bring tape with you that you mark the connectors with a marker if needed.Make sure the back glass is locked in and the ball is removed from the pin.

#7 72 days ago

Six dollar corn seems like pipe dream in 2024! Hope it runs back up for us all!
    -fellow farmer

If you aim to transport in a pickup truck, I keep a 1" 4x8 sheet of foam insulation to cushion the pin a bit.

#8 72 days ago

I always ask seller questions like-
    - are there stairs involved in moving?
    - do you have keys to both coin door and most importantly the back box?(or bring a drill and bits)
    I like using stretch wrap to help hold head after folding down. It can also hold coin doors shut or backbox glass in place if locks are missing.

#9 72 days ago

I bet if you tried real hard you could fit a third pin in that van.

#10 72 days ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

I bet if you tried real hard you could fit a third pin in that van.

Might as well get a trailer and go on the "collection tour".
    On a trip that long I'm sure there's a lot of interesting things along the way.

#11 72 days ago

Once you are packed up and ready to leave, give the room where the pin was a quick once-over to make sure you aren't about to drive away without your tools, keys, legs, bolts, manuals, glass (I've done this), or whatever else.

#13 72 days ago

Pinball leg bolts are almost always 5/8. Some Data East pins had 9/16.

I'm with Jibmums, remember to get keys! (Easy to forget!)

If the condition of the machine doesn't suit you, walk away from the machine. Even a 15 hour drive isn't worth a terrible pinball experience that you should have walked away from.

First time buyer? (Grins) You'll learn pretty quickly what it takes to move 220-300 pound pinballs. I bring two big pieces of cardboard. Put one in the bed of the van, put the other at the edge of the pinball as you slide it in. Cardboard slides on cardboard easier than you'd think.

#14 72 days ago

Load the game up with the front going in the van first. Then when you slide it out,it'll land on the back of the cabinet. I place a piece of cardboard on the ground where I'm going to set the back on,when I slide it out.
    You probably know this but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it anyway.
    Good luck

#16 72 days ago
    Quoted from 6Dollarcorn:

Heading out on a 15 hr drive tomorrow to pick up my first machine. Since I was driving that far and had room in the van, I found a second on the map to pick up on the way back. I have looked for forum topics covering moving machines, although I haven’t found a lot of info at the first time buyer level. Would anyone have any real world advice they would be willing to share. I think I have all of the tools, wrapping/padding covered. Thanks!

What machine are you buying?

#17 72 days ago

Like many have posted: leg bolts are usually 5/8", I have a thick piece of foam rubber for between the glass and head to be lowered, remove the balls and place them in the coin box with keys ( if there is one), shrink wrap the head to the cab, I bring plenty of moving blankets for wrapping the entire pin, legs, also lay them down on the floor of the truck/van and then cardboard, it'll slide right in. It's an easy load for 2, but 1 could do it. Definitely get the details as to where it's located. If a basement, be prepared to work unless he has an escalara. A good dolly is important also. Costco has a good size unit. I play it safe and ratchet strap with at least 2. As time goes on you'll learn the ropes. Welcome to the club.
    Also depending on era and machine, make sure to get the large "L" wrench to lock the head for Sterns. Also all the manuals.

#18 72 days ago

Multiple machines you say..

we like to bring ziploc freezer bags with us to keep bolts and keys with same machine,no mix ups.

Can easily use a sharpee to write on bag what machine it's from.

Shrink wrap and moving blankets are a must.
    Ratchet straps to secure to dolly on the way out of building (tipsters happen) <don't ask how I know
    -Mike

#19 72 days ago

Definitely get familiar how to break down the games you are buying. Figure out how head is secured. There might be a latch in the back but there may also be bolts inside the backbox. I've seen some people transport with head up because they cannot get head down. Not ideal. Make sure there are keys to get into the backbox or else you might have to drill out lock.

Also think about how you load the pins in the truck. I like to put coin door side in first. That way it can just drop down on the backside as you pull it out of vehicle. One time I had lots of help lifting game into truck and didn't think about it. It got loaded in backwards and was a real pain to get turned around since I did not have same help unloading.

#20 72 days ago

Welcome. And first thing to know is they are called tables not pins.

Pins you hit with a bowling ball or stick in a voodoo doll. Pinball tables can be disassembled and carefully moved using the above advice.

#21 72 days ago

Appreciate the advice! The “tables” I’m picking up are a Fire! that the seller’s video shows in good condition, but has a few mechanical issues. I played this game at the Pirates Den back in the early 90’s. To have something for my family to play while getting that machine “going” I found a shopped Eight Ball Deluxe on the route home. I sure have enjoyed the “real” people I have met so far in the pinball world. Thanks again.

#22 72 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

0) REMOVE THE BALLS! Take the glass off and remove them so they don’t smash everything and break plastic! I always forget this step and then it’s a pain in the ass to fish the balls out when you’re further along
    1) Get the keys for the head
    2) unlock and remove glass
    3) remove the 2 to 4 bolts the secure the head to the body
    4) have cardboard or foam or a noodle to protect the rails as the head rests against it. Note: it will bounce around so having some protection between the head and the rails is crucial
    5)WRAP THE GAME NOW BEFORE REMOVING LEGS. Use ratchets or plastic wrap to secure the body and head. If you do not wrap it the head will flop down and smash to bits or rip off.
    6) remove the back legs and gently set the game down
    7) tip the game onto its back and remove the front legs
    wrap the legs together and put bolts in a bag so you don’t forget them.
    9) dolly the game into whatever you’re moving it with and reverse these steps to set it up. Do not use a stool to prop the back of the game up with putting the rear legs on, I’ve seen cases where the stool kicks out and smashes the game up right before the finish line
    10) install the balls and play your game.

Here are my in-depth instructions from a post a few months back! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/transporting-3-pins-new-to-this-check-my-homework-please#post-7644504

Here’s a great video:

#23 72 days ago
    Quoted from 6Dollarcorn:

The “tables” I’m picking up are a Fire!

Unlike many, you learn quickly. Congrats!

I recommend vid's guide on how to make it actually not catch fire. It's filed away here somewhere.

#24 72 days ago

If you're picking up tables that is a whole different animal than picking up pinball machines...For tables make sure that you put a blanket on top then you can put the other one on top upside down without scratching up the tops if you need to...
    If you're picking up pinball machines, make sure that when you are breaking them down take the balls out, nothing like having the balls flopping around in the game while it's broken down breaking things...Take a baggie per game to place the balls head bolts and leg bolts and keys in so that everything is together when you go to set them back up. I would use blankets between the head (backglass) and PF glass as well as one on top of the head and then either use stretch wrap or a strap around the game to hold the head in place for travel. Fire! is a system 11 so it will have hinges when you fold down the head for transport check the wires as you drop the head to make sure they are not pulling too tight, if so you might have to disconnect some from the boards (mark any that you need to for easy replacement). also good idea to make note of how many ground wires are wing nutted inside the bottom of the head and disconnect them then replace the wing nut so it doesn't get lost.
    Eight Ball Deluxe, I know there's EBD and then there's EBDLE...EBD, should be similar to breaking down FIRE! but I don't recall off the top of my head if it has hinges. Otherwise it's pretty much the same to break down if it doesn't have hinges you can still lay the head on the PF glass, you just have to be careful as you lower it. EBD LE has a different backbox set up than normal, that I'm not familiar with.
    Have a great trip and enjoy your new pins!! Start arranging to make room for 3, 4 and so on!!

Phoebe

#25 72 days ago

I hadn't heard of the carboard on cardboard trick. I use a 2' piece of 1" pvc pipe that I bought at Home Depot, place it in the back of my suv just inside the door and lift and roll the pin right in.

Dolly - You can buy a nice rubber wheel model at Harbor Freight and a pack of orange ratchet straps. Or you can go to HD or Lowe's and buy an appliance dolly that already has a ratcheting strap built in and a nice runners on the back so that you can pull a pin up or down stairs. Rubber wheels are great for going over grass, but bounce on steps and can go bounce, bounce crash you dropped your pin. Appliance dolly has small hard wheels so doesn't work well on grass, but the pin will be much more secure on the dolly with little risk of dropping the pin.

Labeling the board connectors in the head. For the EBD print a label A5 J3. Looking at page 23 of the manual that's the bottom right connector on the bottom left board (lamp driver). Place the label inside a quart freezer bag, and when you get to the location, place that label on that connector. The wiring harness has all of the connectors in one long length of wire. When you get home plug that connector in. You'll be able to figure out where all of the other connectors go because they can only stretch so far. Now look at the manual for Fire on ipdb and do the same thing.

Remember after getting home and setting up the pins to attach the grounding braid to the EBD head or it won't start a game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picking-up-first-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.