(Topic ID: 6868)

picking up a ripleys

By stevebighead

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

i am picking up a RIPLEYS huo, complete with LED's, and in collectors condition for 2300. I think this is a pretty good deal but I always second guess myself. Already gave my word so am just looking for some positive (or negative ) feedback. Any owners out there? My collection consists of fast simple games so I thought Ripley's would be a good deep rule set at a decent price. Any thoughts?

#2 12 years ago

Congrats!!! RBION is very underrated and is a great game.2300 for HUO is a
    great price.Lawlor game too.

#3 12 years ago

Totally agree with you Mike, great pick up to say the least. Enjoy!!

#4 12 years ago

Good pin, great price!

#5 12 years ago

Thanks guys I am very excited. Told my wife this is probably the last one. Haha

#6 12 years ago

Good game and price, I would have done that as well. Two thumbs up!

#7 12 years ago

+1 owner here. I think at that price it is great "bang for buck". My opinion is:
    There is loads to keep you interested there in terms of game play. The play-field has a great layout and the right hand side in particular has similarities with TZ, while the left hand side is much better used. You don't have the amazing toys or build quality of TZ but you do have more shots options and therefore fun.
    The game play is where the RBION scores and where it is one of the best. My advice is just enjoy learning the layout to begin with and then get into the rules and strategies later.
    There are many modes and Ripley's letters to win for the completion of modes. To score big it you need to combine the board game, modes and multi-balls. Almost everything counts on this game as it has a very clever rule set.
    Last but not least is that it has a nice flow and jackpot sequences where shots have to be re-lit rather than making the same shots over and over again.
    I hope you like it. I know that I do.

#8 12 years ago

Nice, Ripley's looks cool and I love Lawlor games.

You've got a real nice collection of pins yourself, we seem to like the same kinds of games.

#9 12 years ago

My #1 want. Good for you. Have fun.

#10 12 years ago

Damn you! What a steal for that price. I want that game so bad. I can't find it anywhere near where I am.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

To score big it you need to combine the board game, modes and multi-balls.

What's your highscore? My friend has this, and I scored $123M the other day, but didn't complete ripley or ripleys, whatever it is. Almost did the modes twice. God I love that game...

It's like TZ with rules combining all the mode scores, and much more. When people consider TZ deep, rbion should be discussed, as in my opinion depth in games should go TSPP, LOTR, then Rbion.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

What's your highscore? My friend has this, and I scored $123M the other day, but didn't complete ripley or ripleys, whatever it is. Almost did the modes twice. God I love that game...

Mine is only 82m at the moment. The game is at a friends so I'm hoping to improve on it once i get it home. To start with I was getting 10-20m for a while and then had some scores in the 40's before getting a breakthrough. Only seem one person get close to all the RIPLEYS letters so far but it is clearly possible, just a challenge. Your either much better than me or the settings are different. It is fun in any case.

#13 12 years ago

i love all the total random ripley's facts it has;

" A MAN WHO OFFERED TO TRY AN ELECTRICAL CHAIR!"
    "A MAN WHO SURVIVED A FIRING SQUAD!"
    "THE WORD KANGAROO MEANS 'I DON'T UNDERSTAND'"

haha, they never got old

#14 12 years ago

and I work in a zoo so know for sure that penguins don't rollerskate or quack!

#15 12 years ago

+1 owner here also....picked my HUO 1 owner game up for $2275 - book value this is easily a 2750 game, their are just not enough of them out in the wild and I think like TZ you have to play a bunch of games before you get the bug and want to keep playing it. Never got all the letters yet - very very difficult to do - I love all the speech and design references to other Pat Lawlor games also TZ TAF etc. - I think im the only one out of my friends that loves to do the left loop thru the pop bumpers - just like FH!

great game good price enjoy

#16 12 years ago

Awesome deal. I love that game. I am saving now for my next pin and that is on my list of games I would get

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from stevebighead:

Told my wife this is probably the last one.

Ya... um, ok. LOL

Mine has heard that more than a few times over the last several years. Bless her heart, she still pretends to believe me.

#18 12 years ago

Congrats on the purchase, BTW.

#19 12 years ago

Thanks to this thread, and the reviews on IPDB, I am now going to keep an eye out for a good buy on this game. Sorry Atomicboy, now there's another Canuck in the market...LOL!

#20 12 years ago

Great pickup on a great game.

#21 12 years ago

Nice collection and a great addition to it. I think you got a fair deal RBION is a fun pin and to get a HUO one, well played! Enjoy it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picking-up-a-ripleys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.