(Topic ID: 350824)

Philips Hue Light Syncing

By PinballQeer

3 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 months ago

I've only extremely recently gotten into pinball and have gone off the deep end a bit already. I have my pinball in my basement queer cave and have a whole bunch of video game stuff set up for the old rockband game, complete with the philips hue sync app running on my TV to my light for a real rock show effect for that game. I've been thinking of how to get the lights to sync to the new zeppelin pinball and add some pinball specific lighting. I'm not a great programmer but I like to think my engineer background lets me think of some creative solutions.

Since the sync app on the TV works based off of whatever is on the TV screen - is there any way I couldn't connect a webcam in the ceiling that points at the playfield and connect that to the TV and then sync the lights through the TV? It would also allow anyone hanging out to watch the pin on the TV from the comfort of a couch if so desired. I'm thinking it might work better if I did it via a sync box instead of the app so the TV could remain off while watching but the sync box would still be operating the lighting. In theory the lights should then kind of automatically compliment the colors on the playfield right? I'm going to try a test run with with a laptop/hdmi to test out the concept/understand the lag...but has anyone tried something similar to this?

#2 3 months ago

This is a really interesting idea. In theory it could work as there is an HDMI out on the Stern Spike 2 boards that I think you could tie into the Hue sync module. Other pin suppliers it may be more of a challenge.

#4 3 months ago

There is an HDMI out? I didn't think I saw one in the manual because the LCD screen showed some propriety looking connection - but I figured the lights should sync to the playfield action instead of the LCD screen which might be "dull" in comparison(at least on my pin)

#5 3 months ago
    Quoted from woody76:

What is a basement queer cave?

Most likely a place where people who need constant attention by bringing their sexuality into everything go to hang out

#6 3 months ago

A strange, different , odd place?

#7 3 months ago

The HDMI out is only used on select games with secondary video. The main display is LVDS and requires additional boards to convert to HDMI.

#8 3 months ago

I think it's just caves in general; anything-cave just isn't used much anymore OP

#9 3 months ago

if I'm not a man - it's not my man cave is it?

Anyways......interesting idea with HDMI sync - I'll let folks know how the screen sync test run works later.

#10 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinballQeer:

if I'm not a man...

Gotcha. You can go into your settings and change the little man figure right under your name if your interested. No big whoop.

#11 3 months ago

I tested out the concept with the hue sync app, not the box, with a laptop held by my partner over the play field and honestly it works....I might end up investing in a camera to point down over the playfield and some additional lights to go behind the head and under the cabinet. It works even if it feels a little duct tape and hot glue esque solution of light syncing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/philips-hue-light-syncing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.