(Topic ID: 13051)

PF restoration: best tools & techniques?

By Drano

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I love to buy dirty, lightly beaten-up, routed games and bring them back to life, but the work posted by guys like Chris H. and Jim M. has really inspired me to take my upcoming resto projects to the next level. Cabinet work is not an issue but I really want to see how well I can do at high end PF repair. I have a few PFs I've swapped and I think I'm ready to move beyond paint brushes. I've watched videos, read the tutorials, I just need some opinions and advice on a few very specific items. Here's my laundry list:

-Airbrushes (Paasche/Badger), siphon or gravity feed? Single or double action? Any other considerations?
    -Best paints/mediums for the above? Any advice on best way to color match?
    -Best epoxy wood filler for outhole repair from a color match and workability POV?
    -Best method to raise worn areas prior to painting? Is CA glue and sanding still the best way?
    -Bubbles on lifting insert art. Scrape off and replace, or can these be filled with something?

Thanks in advance!

#3 12 years ago

I use water based paints from hobby lobby. Then I clear coat with auto clear DuPont chromo clear. I use a Finex HVLI gun. With great results.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from tatman9999:

I use water based paints from hobby lobby. Then I clear coat with auto clear DuPont chromo clear. I use a Finex HVLI gun. With great results.

Cool.
    I'm assuming the Finex is for your cc. Are you airbrushing the paint touch-ups or using brushes?

#6 12 years ago

so do I. But ordering new PFs gets expensive, when available. I'd much rather try and see how new I can make these.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

-Airbrushes (Paasche/Badger), siphon or gravity feed? Single or double action? Any other considerations?

I use an Aztek double action airbrush. I have various size paint cups that are ether gravity fed or siphon fed based upon the size. My Aztek has interchangeable tips for different spray patterns.

Quoted from Drano:

-Best paints/mediums for the above? Any advice on best way to color match?

Like Tatman, I use water based acrylics. The majority of mine are Americana brand. There are two ways to colormatch and I use both. Primary is using a Pantone Color Guide. Get it off eBay for around $20 or so. Don't pay for the $60-$80 ones, just be patient, the $20 ones come around fairly often. Match your touchup area to a color on the guide, mark it (I write the name of the machine on it) and take it to your local Michael;s or hobby store. The other method is to mix your paints to get the shade you need. I use a 12"x12" piece of glass to mix on and them lay the glass on the playfield to see how closely I have matched the color. During the mixing process, I write down how many drops of what color I have added so that I can repeat it if I need more of the same color. When I have the right color I use Frisket to mask the area to be painted. I use a #11 scalpel blade to cut the Frisket. Scalpel blades are a higher quality steel than Xacto blades and stay sharp longer. If your blade isn't sharp it will pull/stretch the Frisket as it cuts and lift it from the surface. A good likelihood of paint seepage will occur if that happens. After cutting it with the scalpel, I use a nylon decal squeegee to ensure the edges are down.

Quoted from Drano:

-Best epoxy wood filler for outhole repair from a color match and workability POV?

No help here since I use Bondo for all repairs. After shaping and sanding I use the Pantone Guide to "match" the color of the surrounding wood and paint it.

For your last two questions, I can't help there as I've not had the occasion to do either of those types of repairs. Hopefully someone that has done those will chime in.

Lastly, I need to give proper credit where it's due. Some of what I learned I got from reading Cliffy's Jumping Jack restoration. I also learned about color matching wood from reading Chris Hutchin's restorations of several machines. I am definitely not, in any way and by any stretch of imagination, in the same category with either of those gentlemen. They both are phenomenal. However, through them I have been inspired and given the confidence to at least try some of these repairs myself. I practiced airbrushing for many hours on cardboard and old playfields that I was either given or had as a result of a swap out.

#8 12 years ago

I'm basically doing everything like half_life is. I guess we both learned from watching the masters. As far as airbrushing is concerned choosing one is a matter of preference. I watched CL for a while and found a great set with a compressor ,7 airbrushes (badger&passche) and a ton of accessories. I've since found I stuck with the passche. They feel about the same burning find I have less issues with the passche. It's easier to clean also. As far as PF surface prep and leveling. I CC the whole thing first. Then sand it smooth. Then start my painting. CC again when done. Nothing worse than trying to paint over bare wood or planking. It just never looks right. I clear with a harbor freight hvlp gun and I use sherwin Williams first choice CC. Theres no DuPont around here or I would try chroma clear.

#9 12 years ago

Geez HL, I'm blushing
    Here's the link to my JJ resto http://www.passionforpinball.com/jjresto.htm

I also have pages for my Zac Pinbal Champ and Pinbot restos which may help. My Blue Ribbon resto page may be less useful for painting touchups but does have some good woodworking/patching info.

#10 12 years ago

Thanks guys! This is all very helpful.
    I'll make sure to go through those links Cliff.

Just picked up a nice lightly used airbrush set on eBay for a pretty good price. Double action MASTER G233 airbrush - gravity fed, badger compressor and almost 70 paints, brushes, needles etc...
    Excited to start playing around with this setup.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

Thanks guys! This is all very helpful.
    I'll make sure to go through those links Cliff.
    Just picked up a nice lightly used airbrush set on eBay for a pretty good price. Double action MASTER G233 airbrush - gravity fed, badger compressor and almost 70 paints, brushes, needles etc...
    Excited to start playing around with this setup.

Watch out. Airbrushing is pretty addictive also. I picked up a Iwata hp-cs brush just to do pinball PF touch ups. The next thing I knew, the PF I was working on was left sitting for almost 2 1/2 months because I was practicing Script(calligraphy) lettering, drop shadows and highlights. It really is a neat tool.
    Bill in Indiana

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pf-restoration-best-tools-techniques and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.