(Topic ID: 12017)

Paint Touch Up Without Clear Coating (1976 Williams Aztec)

By Nherbert141

12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Paint Touch Up Without Clear Coating (1976 Williams Aztec)”

(0 votes)

#1 12 years ago

I am repairing a 1976 Williams Aztec EM pinball, and am attempting to touch up the paint in spots where it has flaked off on the playfield. I have heard people use water based acrylic and then clear coat it. I however will not be clear coating it, so am interested in whether the acrylic paint is the wrong way to go as it may not hold up as well.
    I also have some enamel paints, which I know will hold up better, but don't blend into my playfield very well as the old paint isn't very shiny and the enamel is.
    I will be waxing the playfield, but I'm aware and cautious of smudging or eating away at the new paint.

Check out my blog for more information on my machine and restoration process thus far (keep in mind that this is my first project)
    NicksPinball.blogspot.com

#2 12 years ago

I can't answer your question But I love Aztec,It takes me back to my youth(17 to 18 years old)where I played it a lot.

#3 12 years ago

If you touch up and keep it waxed, it really won't be a problem, You can also brush a little clear over the repair to help protect it. All this depends on the area to be touched up and the amount of play you plan to give it. Make sure your areas to be touched up are free of wax before you make the repair.

#4 12 years ago

learning to mix colors is the biggest hurdle you will face,
    the use of a color guide as found in art supply stores will shorten the learning curve.
    Wasted a lot of paint only to find I was doing it wrong
    I use oils but and had a bunch when I got into pinball so it only made sense to continue with them.
    Would recommend testing the paint out on a small piece of glass/plexiglass and after it dries
    you can slide it over the PF and see side to side if your on the right track or not.
    Dry paint may look different then when it's wet or thinned out?
    Good luck on the Aztec

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Would recommend testing the paint out on a small piece of glass/plexiglass and after it dries
    you can slide it over the PF and see side to side if your on the right track or not.

Thx HDC that is a very good tip, I'm going to do that when I do my palyfield.

#6 12 years ago

I'am about to tackle this as well. From what i read, is that if the area to touch up is down to wood you will want to put a bit of clear first and wait a day then do the touch-up. Paint will seep into the wood (soak it up) otherwise! Thats just what i read, but right now I'am like a sponge researching alot before I do it. What grit sand paper to use once you do the touch up? What if using oil base, like testors pens and paints, still need to sand afterward? Thanks

#7 12 years ago

Are you guys using an eye dropper so you can keep track of the "recipe" for certain colors......i.e. 2 drops red, 3 drops white. etc. etc.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paint-touch-up-without-clear-coating-1976-williams-aztec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.