(Topic ID: 61204)

Opinion re: original Harley Davidson ??

By bhelms

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi all. I have a chance to buy a '91 "1st Edition" B/M version. I've played it and like many of the features, actually including the reverse in/out lanes. One thing I don't like is the "vibration" effect. The tech who showed me the machine couldn't find a means to turn that off in the programming. Worst case I suppose I could cut a wire or put it on a switch. I don't mind the vibration or sound so much myself, but I'm concerned about what it's doing to a 20+ year old machine. I can't imagine all that unnecessary shaking is good for old circuit boards, connectors, lamp filaments, and plastics. Any opinion on that?

Anyway - can someone tell me what they like or don't like about that machine? TIA...

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from bhelms:

unnecessary shaking

Blaspheme. These machines are meant to be shaken.

#3 10 years ago

EDIT: Duhh... was talking aboot the later version.

#4 10 years ago

LOL - Yeah, any machine I own gets a fair amount of abuse - as does my real Harley! At least the pinball version won't retaliate and leave a puddle of oil on the floor...as far as I know. Wait - maybe that's a feature I haven't discovered yet...!

As much as machines are designed for the bumps and grinds of play, I still think that (unique?) constant, almost monotone vibration the machine produces constantly while in play is potentially hazardous to its health. Was hoping someone who owns/owned one would weigh-in...

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from bhelms:

Was hoping someone who owns/owned one would weigh-in...

I had a chance to play a brand new one, just out of the box, six months ago. I thought it was pretty cool, but that left drain is a bitch.

#6 10 years ago

Many pinball games come with shakers. They are designed to work and be played that way. I guess you could turn it off if you really wanted to, but it really isn't going to damage the game in any way.

#7 10 years ago

The Bally Harley pin is, IMHO, an OK pin for a bar, bike club clubhouse, etc, but you will most likely quickly tire of the pin in your house. In a word, the pin isn't that good.
These tend to be highly (usually outrageously) overpriced. Sort of like Harley motorcycles were from 1995 - 2000, when new bikes sometimes were often accompanied by the Harley Vaseline tax. (The Harley Vaseline tax was when dealers jacked the price up---sometimes $10,000 over MSRP---because demand was phenomenal and most dealerships had no qualms about screwing there customers).

I also think this is a pin that will steadily decrease in price over time.

Corporate Harley has been wildly successful at marketing the "Harley Lifestyle". I'm convinced that doesn't lend itself to the numerous Harley pinballs produced.

I own a Harley myself, and wouldn't consider the purchase of any of the Harley pins unless they were very very cheap or free.

#8 10 years ago

Tks, Hoopjohn - That's what I was seeking! As an owner I too can relate (but not ascribe!) to the Harley culture / allure. And the PB machine I'm looking at is indeed overpriced IM(NS)HO. I see them routinely in the $3K range elsewhere and this local outlet is asking even more. But it's been sitting for a while. I think I'll offer something like $2K and walk away.

I have an '89 Lowrider, BTW, from essentially the same vintage. I bought it used however a decade later when it sold for about half. It's mostly garaged now as the "shine" has come off a good bit. Our local HOG folded as well. Now I'm much more interested in riding my "'57 Trike" Boss Hoss. Anyone know if there's a Boss Hoss pinball machine out there ?!?

Any other opinions on the HD machine ??

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Hoopjohn:

(The Harley Vaseline tax was when dealers jacked the price up---sometimes $10,000 over MSRP---because demand was phenomenal and most dealerships had no qualms about screwing there customers).

Sounds a lot like what many of the pinball dealers are doing out there now with the LEs

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-re-original-harley-davidson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.