(Topic ID: 148646)

Omaha, NE Monthly Tournament - Big John's Billiards

By metalhead0817

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Big John’s on 96th and L (9819 M St) in Omaha will start hosting monthly pinball tournaments, starting on January 23rd at 6 PM. The tournaments will be on the fourth Saturday of every month. $15 entry fee, all money goes to prize pool. Right now we’ll have the top three finishers win money, but if the turnouts are big I’ll switch that to top five. Double elimination format, best-of-three matches. All machines are 50 cents per game.

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 month later
    #2 8 years ago

The next tournament is on Saturday the 27th at 6 PM. We're using five machines: Star Trek (Stern), Game of Thrones, Twilight Zone, Attack from Mars, and Addams Family. Rules and format are the same (double elimination, matches are best-of-3). Interest is starting to build so I'm expecting a pretty decent turnout!

#3 8 years ago

I'm thinking road trip here. I like the lineup.

#4 8 years ago

Awesome! We've been looking for something like this since we moved up here from Atlanta.
    Looking forward to it - thanks for setting this up!
    Posted on the Nebraska Pinball Facebook page also.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NEPinball
    https://www.facebook.com/OmahaPinballClub

#5 8 years ago

Just went to Big Johns last night. A few guys were floating around the games and said they would be there next Sat, so I'm hoping on a fun turnout.

On the tournament, can you do your games and then leave or do you have to be there the entire night? I wouldn't be able to get there till 9pm.
    Thanks!
    Joe

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

Just went to Big Johns last night. A few guys were floating around the games and said they would be there next Sat, so I'm hoping on a fun turnout.
    On the tournament, can you do your games and then leave or do you have to be there the entire night? I wouldn't be able to get there till 9pm.
    Thanks!
    Joe

Unfortunately since it's a bracket format you would have to be there at 6. Instead of putting up high scores, you play in best-of-three matches against another player.

I have thought about adding a side tournament though, which would simply be a high score contest on a specific machine. That way people could compete in that and not have to stay all night. Let's go ahead and do that!

Side tournament rules:

High score contest on Terminator 2 (We'll switch machines each month)

$5 entry fee gets you three attempts on the machine being used. When done, come report your highest score.

All money goes to prize pool. Highest single-game score wins 60%, 2nd place gets 25%, and 3rd gets 15%. Let me know if you think this is a good idea.

Quoted from joelreeves:

Awesome! We've been looking for something like this since we moved up here from Atlanta.
    Looking forward to it - thanks for setting this up!
    Posted on the Nebraska Pinball Facebook page also.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/NEPinball
    https://www.facebook.com/OmahaPinballClub

Wow, I didn't even know about that Facebook group so thanks for posting! Sounds like we'll have a pretty decent turnout!

#7 8 years ago

I like the side tournament idea. I'll see you guys around 9pm!
    Joe

#8 8 years ago

Joel,
    Just want to say thanks! I was lucky to get away and come in at 6pm and play a few with the guys. It was nice to meet some new guys and see everyone else! Good time had by all! Best part about playing all these folks with crazy skills....I think I had to only pay for one game...there was credits racked up everywhere!

So who were the winners? joelreeves....were you there? I didn't meet everyone, but I know there was some out of town guy with crazy skills!

Lets do it again folks! Be nice if we could either start at a later time, or do it on a Sunday. Just my two cents.
    Joe

#9 8 years ago

I'm glad you could make it, Joe. Thanks to everyone who was there. Tyler Z. was the winner. Tiler (the out of town guy with all of the high scores) finished second, and Aaron was 3rd. I didn't play this time because I wanted to make sure everything ran smoothly with all the new people, but I'll be in it for sure next time.

Sundays might be possible once I find a new job. I'll email people and see if we can find a day/time that works best for as many people as possible.

My goal from the beginning was to consistently have 15-20 people for every tournament, and we're definitely working our way there!

3 weeks later
    #10 8 years ago

Hey guys,

Just a reminder that this Saturday is the next pinball tournament at Big John's, 6 PM. $15 entry fee. Same format as last time, except the loser's bracket matches will be single game instead of best-of-3. We'll also do a $5 side tournament like last time; this month we will put up high scores on Revenge from Mars. As of now, we'll probably be using Twilight Zone, Attack from Mars, Game of Thrones, Terminator 2 and Star Trek for the main tournament.

Also I will be creating a Facebook group dedicated to these tournaments as well as any others we may set up in the future. Once I come up with a name (if you have any good ideas for a name let me know) I'll let everyone know so you all can join the group. Another plan is to add a second tournament, probably at Beercade so I need to talk to those guys.

Let me know if you have any questions or ideas!

3 weeks later
    #11 8 years ago

Next tournament is this Saturday, the 23rd. Registration starts at 5:30, tournament starts at 6. I've decided to change the entry fee to $10 from now on. Also this is our first tournament that is IFPA-sanctioned. If Ghostbusters comes in on Friday like it should, my Dad and I will bring one to Big John's temporarily for use in the tournament, so keep your fingers crossed. One more thing: if you're on Facebook, search for Nebraska Competitive Pinball Association. Anything related to local tournaments will be posted there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/omaha-ne-monthly-tournament-big-johns-billiards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.