(Topic ID: 180347)

Old chicago won't kick out bonus saucer-league tonight.

By burningman

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Old-Chicago-Pinside-Bonus-Unit-W-3 (resized).jpg
0Old-Chicago-Pinside-Bonus-Unit-W-2 (resized).jpg
0Old-Chicago-Pinside-Bonus-Unit-W-1 (resized).jpg
scoring unit (resized).jpg
jumper (resized).jpg
bonus disc (resized).jpg
0Old-Chicago-Work-19 (resized).jpg
0Old-Chicago-Work-18 (resized).jpg
0Old-Chicago-Work-16 (resized).jpg
0Old-Chicago-Work-15 (resized).jpg
0Old-Chicago-Work-14 (resized).jpg
0Old-Chicago-Work-13 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider burningman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys...was just giving the games a final play and balancing before league tonight and was play testing Old Chicago.

I shoot the collect bonus hole, it would award me the bonus but would not kick the ball out of the saucer. Ball just sits there. I checked for loose wires and everything looks good, no binding in the assembly. All other coils work correctly in the game.

Anything I can check to get this up and running for league tonight?

Thanks in advance...

#3 7 years ago

switch works and all the other coils fire except this one. Looked at the relay I believe that triggers it, cleaned and looked well adjusted already. no dice.

When the switch is actuated it does score the points....The upper relay in the below pic is the one I checked.

#4 7 years ago

Here's the pic

20170203_163137 (resized).jpg20170203_163137 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

ok...thanks guys...

#10 7 years ago

Hey guys....thanks for the tips. We started league play and had the saucer working, (not by anything we did)...but noticed that when the bonus passed about half way through OLD CHICAGO it would not kick the ball out. But would still kick the ball out at O L D C H. We shut her down and now just digging back into it.

Two things to note....when the saucer was engaged during OLDCH it would add bonus and kick out the ball.
When the saucer was engaged during ICAGO it would not count any bonus or kick the ball out. so we shut it down.

I started looking into and now the kick out won't kick at all. Not even in the early letters of the bonus (although it still counts the bonus). I cleaned the jones plugs. I have continuity from the switch to the plug. no broken solder joints.

I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out what engages that kick out. The brown/orange wire off the coil is good. Also, the upper right saucer works fine.

Thanks for any help. I do have a schematic but not very good at reading it.

#12 7 years ago

Thanks Fireball2. I did take a look at the switch stack on the side of the bonus disc but didn't see a switch that actuates the kick out hole.

I spent about 2 hours on it yesterday, checking continuity and just making sure switches and contacts were clean. Looking at the schematics it appears there are a number of switches/relays that interact with the bonus.

Here are three pics....
In the third pic I noticed two references to the bonus unit zero sw. (just wish I could find it on the machine) along with the bonus unit disc.
In the second picture I have circled the solenoid that is not working.
In the first picture it references the bonus unit disc. I noticed that a po/operator had circled the bottom portion with a blue pen. Not sure if this is relevant, but thought it would be worth noting, thinking that this may been a previous issue at some other time.

Thanks again for any help...

bonus unit disc (resized).jpgbonus unit disc (resized).jpg
oc (resized).jpgoc (resized).jpg
oc bonus (resized).jpgoc bonus (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

thanks goingincircles....I was looking at your "OC murder" posts over the weekend and our issues seemed similar. Your posts got me to clean those jones plugs.

#17 7 years ago

Hey rolph...no not fixed yet. Just noticed that goingincirclz had a similar issue. I cleaned the disk and starfish contacts and it's still not working. Will be digging into it more tonight.

I am normally good with things like this on a ss game, but man these em''s really make me scratch my head.

#21 7 years ago

Rolf...thank you for the explanation and will follow up with results first thing in the morning.

#22 7 years ago

OK....got my long jumpers made and started testing.
I put the playfield down and engaged the saucer switch (without doing anything except turning it on.) The bonus counted and the coil would fire during the first part (OLDCH) of the bonus. Engaging the switch when in the later part of letters/bonus (ICAGO) does not count the bonus or kick out the ball. So the first part of the bonus seems to have fixed itself. (probably not)

Ran through 1-5 of the tests and have the saucer kicker(solenoid) working in each test. Regarding question number 5. That switch is closed when not pulling.

Not sure what to test regarding number 6.

Thanks again for all the help. At least we know the solenoid is working.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Lets do some testing. Put 7 or 8 Bonus on the Bonus-Ladder. Let the ball roll into the saucer. YOU MANUALLY activate the (my RED) "5000 Bonus-Hole-Relay" - You press the armature of the relay - You simulate: Coil is magnetic and pulls and moves the armature.
Does the feature work ?
If "No - not working": Have 7 or 8 bonus ... You manually activate "my RED" AND (my rosa / pink) "Bonus-Hole-Score-Relay" --- does the feature work ?
I am interested in: When You activate (my RED) "5000 Bonus-Hole-Relay" - question: Does it stay pulling ?
We do proceed in testing in one direction or in another direction - depending on Your answer. Greetings Rolf

With 8 on the bonus ladder and a ball in the saucer, and the armature of the 5000 relay manually activated the bonus counts appropriately and kicks the ball out. (does not stay pulling)

#27 7 years ago

Thanks Rolf with all the help. Yes...will dive into it again later this evening...I think we are getting close.

#28 7 years ago

Hey Rolf...back into Old Chicago this afternoon. Yes...AAA. When there is a bonus in the 6 to 10 area (ICAGO) and I quickly press the 5000 bonus relay, it counts the entire bonus and the kicker fires.

I will get into the jumpers tomorrow. still trying to figure the jumpers

#30 7 years ago

Hey Rolf...thanks again for the note...will get the door bell switch hooked up and test it out. Will probably be tomorrow.

I feel like we are close and don't want to give up now.

1 week later
#31 7 years ago

I have the door bell switch hooked up and works as you said. But otherwise having a difficult time time understanding the jumpers.
I am going to see if I can get another set of eyes on this. I will report back with what I find.

#34 7 years ago

Hey Rolf....thanks again, I will be down on OC again this afternoon and will get pictures posted and testing again...
Really do appreciate you hanging with me on this....

#35 7 years ago

ok...had some time today to work on OC. Thanks again for the help Rolf.

Right now I have it where a doorbell type button is hooked up to both sides of the top switch on the 5000 bonus relay. (Black /Yellow wire.) Here is a picture. So I don't have it tied to the transformer "30". Game plays, expect for ICAGO but when I hit the door bell button it adds the bonus and kicks the ball out.

I went through the tests, still working with the door bell switch coming from the transformer "30"
test 1, 2 and 3 work but does not on test 4. (other side of the bonus hole score relay switch)

I have attached a picture of my disk.

You can see the jumper wire (white/red) coming off the bonus wheel that is tied onto one of the score motor cam switches.

I hope this is helpful.

bonus disc (resized).jpgbonus disc (resized).jpg

jumper (resized).jpgjumper (resized).jpg

scoring unit (resized).jpgscoring unit (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider burningman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-chicago-wont-kick-out-bonus-saucer-league-tonight?tu=burningman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.