Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

layered.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Hi,

Not quite sure this fits the definition of technical but I have spent the last few days stripping my playfield in anticipation of a cleaning and waxing. I picked up the bottle this morning and it tells me that under buffing conditions the product is carcinogenic.

Just how bad are we talking here? I assume that if I use it with just a rag I dont have much to worry about but if I actually break out some sort of low powered buffer should I be getting a mask or something?

I did a search for Novus2 here on the forums and did not really see much about it.

Just a teeny bit concerned being new to all this is all. Cheers for any help!

#2 10 years ago

I have used so many things through the years that were killing rats left and right in laboratories somewhere.

I wouldn't worry about it. You don't get out of here alive anyway.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

You DO NOT want to breathe the dust while buffing with Novus.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You DO NOT want to breathe the dust while buffing with Novus.

I would assume this refers to actual machine based buffing right? Ie I could not possibly generate anything while just going ape with my hands?

*edit*

Also wow, prompt replies. Thank you very much!

#5 10 years ago

As vid 1900 said, you don't want to breathe the dust if you are using a buffer with it. You need a bit of exposure to silica dust for it to be a hazard, but they're still going to CYA and warn you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

#6 10 years ago

If I were to start actually buffing with it, what sort of mask would I want. Just a regular paper face mask and a vacuum or a full blown respirator?

I might be being a tiny bit paranoid here. I might just stick to not using a buffer with it. Never pays to be cautious though I guess.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from JatoOspry:

Just a regular paper face mask and a vacuum or a full blown respirator?

If you are worried about carcinogens, you'll want to buy the best mask stuff you can. Research it and see what turns up on Google.

LTG : )

#8 10 years ago

Better get a full blown hazmat suit....I wouldn't even touch the sh*t!

#9 10 years ago

Haha, yeah. My concern may be a little bit over the top. People seem to use it every day without issue.

I do not mean to be so uh, annoying about it? Fairly amateur questions I would guess.

#10 10 years ago

I wouldn't worry, there is no dust to breathe in...if you did it all day every day then maybe I'd worry a little bit, like Lloyd should (jk Lloyd)....

#11 10 years ago

What doesn't kill you (cough, cough), only makes you stronger.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Better get a full blown hazmat suit....I wouldn't even touch the sh*t!

Also be sure you don't read the big warning label on your 60/40 lead based solder!

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Also be sure you don't read the big warning label on your 60/40 lead based solder!

Yep, that's why I don't "solder" anything......

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from JatoOspry:

If I were to start actually buffing with it, what sort of mask would I want. Just a regular paper face mask and a vacuum or a full blown respirator?
    I might be being a tiny bit paranoid here. I might just stick to not using a buffer with it. Never pays to be cautious though I guess.

Anytime I buff or blow out a cab I have a huge industrial fan that blows all the dust away from me and out the roll up door.
    I don't wear anything because the dust and particles don't get near my face.

#15 10 years ago

Novus #2 / MSDS-

http://www.novuspolish.com/pdf/NOVUSPlasticPolish2RevMay2012.pdf

Notation ~

Diatomaceous Earths may contain crystalline silica, which is considered carcinogenic by
    inhalation (IARC, NTP, California). However, with hand application respirable dusts are not
    created. Use of mechanical polishing may necessitate respiratory PPE to limit exposure.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Anytime I buff or blow out a cab I have a huge industrial fan that blows all the dust away from me and out the roll up door.
    I don't wear anything because the dust and particles don't get near my face.

So you shop out games naked in your open garage?

#18 10 years ago

So you shop out games naked in your open garage?

Only in the summer in winter I dress in layers.

layered.jpglayered.jpg

#19 10 years ago

Everything in CA is known to kill you.
    I wear gloves when I use chemicals. Just to be on the safe side.
    Also don't eat the stuff.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Everything in CA is known to kill you.
    I wear gloves when I use chemicals. Just to be on the safe side.
    Also don't eat the stuff.

as a matter of fact, california itself is a known carcinogen.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from JatoOspry:

Haha, yeah. My concern may be a little bit over the top. People seem to use it every day without issue.

People smoke cigarettes every day "without issue" too. It takes years for cancer to take hold in the body.

#22 10 years ago

I'm not sure about it being a carcinogen, but based on some of the comments here, it seems to have other side effects; irritability, dementia, etc.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/novus-2-carcinogenic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.