Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 65 days ago by Sonora70
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 66 days ago

I just got a Williams No Good Gofers, a game I’ve been wanting a while. The left flipper seems weak at times, not strong enough to send the ball up near the hole in one or cart switches. It seems to be able to sporadically but generally not. I am very much a novice on this era games. Can someone point me in a direction to fix? Connectors look good and the mechanical portions all appear to be good. Thanks in advance.

#2 66 days ago

There are electrical problems that can cause weak flippers, but mechanics have to be working perfectly before you should look into troubleshooting the electronics. (EDIT: Nope, you should clean the optos first, see below, thanks The_Pump_House!)

I would recommend getting a flipper rebuild kit:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/WFLTRON-1L2R

Take the flipper assembly apart and replace anything that is dodgy.

There are so many mechanical problems that can cause flipper issues, and most of them require parts to fix.

Get the parts. Rebuild the flippers.

If you still are having problems, let us know!

#3 66 days ago

Can’t argue with rebuild kit. New arm linkage, coil stop and coil sleeve are the most important parts

You could also make sure the wires are soldered securely to the lugs on the coil. And clean the contacts on the flipper switch in the cabinet (put rubbing alcohol on some thick paper like a business card and put it between the switch contacts and gently squeeze the switch and rub the contacts).

#4 66 days ago

Do the most basic thing that costs zero dollars first.

Clean your flipper optos.

Open the coin door and enter the service menu. Go to switch tests. Push the flipper button and you will see 2 boxes light up on the DMD. Do they stay lit solid or are they flickering

#5 66 days ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Open the coin door and enter the service menu. Go to switch tests. Push the flipper button and you will see 2 boxes light up on the DMD. Do they stay lit solid or are they flickering

exactly where I'd start.

#6 66 days ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Never tried this. I'll check it out. Thanks.

#7 66 days ago

Probably just needs a rebuild.

#8 66 days ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

Never tried this. I'll check it out. Thanks.

To access the flipper opto boards raise the playfield. The optos are small black
Plastic U shapes. Cleaning the inside of that U may fix your problem.

If this does not fix your problem swap the left and right flipper opto boards and see if the problem follows the board.

#9 66 days ago

Might be connectors on the power driver board for the flippers. I'd look at those as well.

#10 65 days ago

Update: Cleaned the optos and put in a new ring kit and it’s working much better. Not sure how much impact the new flipper bands have but it’s sending the ball much better. Thanks for the tips!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,800 (OBO)
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-good-gofers-weak-flippers-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.